Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Anyone had refused LMO (Alberta)??

Anyone had refused LMO (Alberta)??

Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone had refused LMO (Alberta)??

Originally Posted by jericho
Im still awaiting my LMO for an insurance broker position in Edmonton. Has been over 6 weeks now. Solicitor says I should have it any day now, but have to admit, I'm pretty nervous about the prospect of it being refused...
Have just spoke to the solicitor in Alberta who is handling my LMO. My understanding of my job offer is that a position was "created" for me- ie/ there wasnt a specific role vacant/advertised etc. However, it's a large multi national company and have vacancies all the time.
I've asked if he thinks this will be a problem, and he replied saying he doesnt think it will.

Am i right to be worried about this??
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice

Im still awaiting my LMO for an insurance broker position in Edmonton. Has been over 6 weeks now. Solicitor says I should have it any day now, but have to admit, I'm pretty nervous about the prospect of it being refused...
I'm in the same position although I am on 4 week wait so far. My Immigration Consultant said that it should be another 4 weeks for me as the Alberta office whIch handles LMO's is very busy and it is holiday season there like it is everywhere else. My Company is a big international engineering company and they obtained a block of "pre approved" LMO's before they started recruiting so she said that there is a 1% (her words) chance I'll be refused.

I don't think there is much to worry about Jericho - 8 weeks is standard.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:44 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bflava
lilpuddin, So someone with a BUNAC work auth can apply for an extention on a job code NOC 1453 after their initial 1yr with a positive LMO?? But not for PR?
BUNAC permits can't be extended, period. Person who works on BUNAC permit and wants to continue work after it expires will have to get new job offer with positive LMO and apply for change of conditions to a standard work permit.

As for applying for PR - nothing stops you from doing so. But work permit and job in NOC 1453 cannot be used as arranged employment in PR application - thus no extra points and no fast track. And of course such application will be subject to new rules - it means it may be returned if NOC 1453 won't be on the high demand list.

It is highly unlikely for NOC 1453 to land on national list of occupations in high demand for PR purposes, regardless that it is on occupations under pressure list for TWP in some Provinces as of last year. There is a huge difference between PR and TWP when it comes to high demand occupations.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

lilpuddin is an unknown quantity at this point

Can it be done under the PNP program Andrew?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:59 am
Just Joined

ghostrider2611 is an unknown quantity at this point

well yes the pnp program is another route, i am also cat c under the noc list, have a job offer with calgary transit and awaiting LMO,once landed and working for the company they we be seeking to put us into the pnp program to gain our PR, MAYBE BECAUSE THIS IS THE CITY?? hope this of help, kev.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

lilpuddin is an unknown quantity at this point

I fall under C bracket too and hoping to get PNP through a large care company in Alberta...fingers crossed eh.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
BUNAC permits can't be extended, period. Person who works on BUNAC permit and wants to continue work after it expires will have to get new job offer with positive LMO and apply for change of conditions to a standard work permit.

As for applying for PR - nothing stops you from doing so. But work permit and job in NOC 1453 cannot be used as arranged employment in PR application - thus no extra points and no fast track. And of course such application will be subject to new rules - it means it may be returned if NOC 1453 won't be on the high demand list.

It is highly unlikely for NOC 1453 to land on national list of occupations in high demand for PR purposes, regardless that it is on occupations under pressure list for TWP in some Provinces as of last year. There is a huge difference between PR and TWP when it comes to high demand occupations.
Thanks Andrew, so literally, a BUNAC person has to leave the country after their work auth expires. you also said i will need a new job offer with a positive LMO before i can extend my stay to work right? Do I have to exit the country to change the conditions to a work permit.

anyway thanks for your input.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Have just spoke to the solicitor in Alberta who is handling my LMO. My understanding of my job offer is that a position was "created" for me- ie/ there wasnt a specific role vacant/advertised etc. However, it's a large multi national company and have vacancies all the time.
I've asked if he thinks this will be a problem, and he replied saying he doesnt think it will.

Am i right to be worried about this??
I think you must have misunderstood, they can't have created the job for you - to get a LMO your potential employer has to show that they've advertised the job across Canada for 3 months (or 7 days if it's an OUP), and that they've been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. They need to provide proof of this to back up the application.

So they must have advertised the job to get the LMO as they have to prove no Canadian can or will do your job. This is from the HRSDC website if it helps:

"HRSDC generally requires evidence of recruitment efforts to find qualified Canadians before applying to hire foreign workers.

You will be asked to provide copies of advertisement in local and national newspapers, recognized INTERNET job banks, job-specific and professional publications, along with receipts to show how long the advertisements were published. The advertisements must clearly show the job duties, position requirements, wages and working conditions."

Hope that helps.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 10th 2008 at 12:03 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by lilpuddin
Can it be done under the PNP program Andrew?
Alberta has a PNP for limited number of semi-skilled occupations:

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...edworkers.html

BC has something too:

http://www.ecdev.gov.bc.ca/ProgramsA...SO/so_ELSS.htm
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Hi all, I was reading on the wiki and i came across the NOC and the occupations under pressure and what Province.

1453 i was told is not an occupation under pressure(Andrew Miller, i think you were trying to let me understand this but i am confuse, can you help.) but this is what i found http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/workplaces...bouplist.shtml

can anyone tell me more on this? ie it was in relation to if someone came on a BUNAC 12 months work auth and gets a positive LMO on 1453? thank you and good luck
Old Jul 12th 2008, 12:46 am

You still confuse TWP process with PR. You can get LMO and work permit for job offer in occupation other than skilled one.

NOC matrix skills level 0, A and B are skilled occupations - the second digit in NOC code not greater than 3 indicates skilled occupation.

But you cannot use fact of working in Canada on valid work permit as arranged employment for PR application under federal skilled workers route if you are working in other than skilled occupation. You can use it though for semi-skilled PNP route if your Province offers such route and occupation is eligible in the Province.