Anyone had to do a french test?

Old Aug 4th 2006, 5:51 am
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future
Default Anyone had to do a french test?

Hi
I was wondering if anyone has had to do a french test and if so what level of french they claimed to be at?
When we completed our application, my husband and I both claimed basic level and our immigration lawyer just took evidence of that as our GCE qualifications. Will they want to test us as we may need to brush up a little as we are both a little rusty.
If anyone had claimed any level of french at all on their applications and has their PPR's, could they let me know if they had to take a French test.
Thanks
Old Aug 4th 2006, 6:08 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone had to do a french test?

Originally Posted by sydney
Will they want to test us as we may need to brush up a little as we are both a little rusty.
"They" wont want to do anything, they just wont give you any points unless you can back up the claim with TEF results. Its not CICs job to keep coming back to ask for more evidence, they expect you to prove stuff first time.

GCE years ago probably wont convince them you have usable french skills now (I have an O level, but no residual french ability)

I say probably because you have left it at the discretion of the examining officer. The only way to be sure of points if you need them is to bite the bullet and do the TEF test. I hear its a lot harder than secondary school level. If you think you need those points to reach the threshold, dont take a chance!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has sat the TEF and it is very hard. Above A Level Standard. He didn't pass it. Even people who have spoken French for 9 years or more that he met at the TEF found it tough.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

user#7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'll have to contradict what others replied before. When I applied I claimed points for French. I actually claimed fluent but I knew I wasn't -- I was just counting on having some time to prepare more in case I need to take some test. And I did need, although those points were not crucial for passing the mark, this has been the first letter I received from them after AOR - french test required. And I think I only had 2 months to register for TEF. Worse than that, for some reason that i won't detail here, I didn't even know about it until one month after being sent the letter, so less time to prepare also. However, I scored 4 and 5 out of 6 (there are 9 different evaluations they look at). It was indeed harder than I thought but it's not impossible if you study a little before. I honestly couldn't remember almost anything from what I studied in school but it does come back with practice.

I believe the worst that would happen is not to get those points at all but unless you won't have time to prepare, it might worth trying. After all, if you're not satisfied, you can simply not submit them.

Good Luck!

Hi
I was wondering if anyone has had to do a french test and if so what level of french they claimed to be at?
When we completed our application, my husband and I both claimed basic level and our immigration lawyer just took evidence of that as our GCE qualifications. Will they want to test us as we may need to brush up a little as we are both a little rusty.
If anyone had claimed any level of french at all on their applications and has their PPR's, could they let me know if they had to take a French test.
Thanks
Old Aug 6th 2006, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by user#7
Hi,

I'll have to contradict what others replied before. When I applied I claimed points for French. I actually claimed fluent but I knew I wasn't -- I was just counting on having some time to prepare more in case I need to take some test. And I did need, although those points were not crucial for passing the mark, this has been the first letter I received from them after AOR - french test required. And I think I only had 2 months to register for TEF. Worse than that, for some reason that i won't detail here, I didn't even know about it until one month after being sent the letter, so less time to prepare also. However, I scored 4 and 5 out of 6 (there are 9 different evaluations they look at). It was indeed harder than I thought but it's not impossible if you study a little before. I honestly couldn't remember almost anything from what I studied in school but it does come back with practice.

I believe the worst that would happen is not to get those points at all but unless you won't have time to prepare, it might worth trying. After all, if you're not satisfied, you can simply not submit them.

Good Luck!
You obviously passed because you'd already studied French at school (I'm guessing to A Level standard?) and you revised for the TEF. My husband didn't study French at school. Therefore he was starting completely from scratch. We knew we'd be lucky if he passed but he gave it his best shot even though he works full-time. Some people just find languages easier than others.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

user#7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
You obviously passed because you'd already studied French at school (I'm guessing to A Level standard?) and you revised for the TEF. My husband didn't study French at school. Therefore he was starting completely from scratch. We knew we'd be lucky if he passed but he gave it his best shot even though he works full-time. Some people just find languages easier than others.
Oh that's for sure, no one can just start learning French from zero for the purpose of taking TEF unless that would be a full time activity for quiet a while. It's feasable though if you have some base that you're going to build on for a month or two before the test.

But my point was rather that they do ask for proofs if you claimed points and it's probably better not to claim than to claim and then not submit proofs.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough

Hiya

I took French up to Uni level and took the TEF last September. I got 6 out of 8 posible points and have to say it was tough. You really have to get the TEF book and tapes and practice, practise, practise. I also had a couple of private tutor lessons to help with the speaking. This September I am taking advanced French night classes with the intention of taking the test again and getting the couple of points I missed. If youhavenºt studied French before be sure to take some classes. The Alliance Francaise is helpful is there is one local.

Kaz x
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:08 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kazphillips
Hiya

I took French up to Uni level and took the TEF last September. I got 6 out of 8 posible points and have to say it was tough. You really have to get the TEF book and tapes and practice, practise, practise. I also had a couple of private tutor lessons to help with the speaking. This September I am taking advanced French night classes with the intention of taking the test again and getting the couple of points I missed. If youhavenºt studied French before be sure to take some classes. The Alliance Francaise is helpful is there is one local.

Kaz x
Hi

I got the same as Kaz, 6 out of 8 points and also did French at Uni.
Also found it much tougher than expected and prob should have got the books. Found the listening the hardest, so would def recommend doing some work on this bit as they read out the questions really fast

David
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Joel is a jewel in the roughJoel is a jewel in the roughJoel is a jewel in the roughJoel is a jewel in the rough

I would strongly advise you do the TEF if you need the points. I get a strong feeling that the way they work is Native English/ French= 16 points, Second language look for IELTS for English or TEF for French. I know it is common for admissions people at Uni's and the like to ask international students for IELTS, so I presume the same for TEF.

I did GCSE French at school 14 years ago. I was quite good at the time however as you do I forgot it all. I then did an evening class for GCSE French for a year just before applying as I needed a couple of points for my application.

At the end of the year, I booked for the TEF. Everyone was saying it is hard. So I thought I may need to book a few. I got hold of the manual and familiarised myself with the layout of the tests. I booked for all the tests on one day at Alliance Francais Manchester. Really nice laid back but professional people. I didn't stress too much about it because I thought I would have to come hear a few times yet. I thought I had failed miserably. However a few weeks later I was told I scored enough for basic on two skills ie. 2 points.

So don't be scared of doing it. Just book it and have a go. However do read their manuels. Its only a few hours and 100 odd quid. Not much in the wider scheme of things
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Take the TEF test. You'll need to be unrusty and know a lot more than the passé composé and the correct usage of "sachez".

K.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future

I did the same as you - I had A* at GCSE and a C at A Level, plus some university French and claimed basic. I didn't get any points for it, nor did CHC ask me to take a test. Luckily I had 72 points anyway so it didn't have an adverse effect.

Suze

Hi
Thanks
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:27 pm
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Suzey
I did the same as you - I had A* at GCSE and a C at A Level, plus some university French and claimed basic. I didn't get any points for it, nor did CHC ask me to take a test. Luckily I had 72 points anyway so it didn't have an adverse effect.

Suze
Thanks for all your replies. We don't actually need the points and I think may have just claimed basic in reading. I was just wondering if they woul actually ask us to do a test or just ignore the points as we haven't voluntarily done the test.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:32 pm
Here at last!!!

Originally Posted by user#7
Hi,

And I did need, although those points were not crucial for passing the mark, this has been the first letter I received from them after AOR - french test required. Good Luck!
Can I just confirm? You didn't need the points but they asked you to take the test? I wonder if it was because you claimed to be fluent?
As we don't need the points I was hoping that they may just ignore the points I claimed (I think that I only claimed basic for reading, although I'm not sure). It would be one less thing to worry about.