Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Anyone got French degree and not had to do TEF

Anyone got French degree and not had to do TEF

Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future
Default Anyone got French degree and not had to do TEF

Hi

Has anyone managed to prove their French ability successfully without doing TEF?

I am the main applicant and have degree in German and French and spent semester at French uni. My husband did same course so has same level of French. I have put down moderate ability as French is rusty and seem to be ok with TEF.

We are waiting to hear back from CPC Sydney if we are eligible for Cat 1 FSW visa and if we are, imagine we will have to submit docs quickly so will need to book TEF asap if it is necessary.

let me know if anyone managed to prove moderate level ofFrench without TEF.

thanks

Lucy
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

evelynne_r is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone got French degree and not had to do TEF

I applied a few years ago for Skilled Worker via Quebec and had an interview with CIC Sydney on behalf of MICC Hong Kong.. It was more about proving my job history than my language. Like you, I studied French/German and spent a year living in France. I was asked a few questions in French, but nothing too demanding at all.

I'm afraid I can't give you any more info than that. Good luck. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Evelynne
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

gembers is an unknown quantity at this point

I went the same route and applied for a skilled worker quebec visa. i majored in French at uni and worked their for 2 years. i didn't have to prove my skills with a test but i did have an interview at the Candian High Commission in Paris where they just discussed my resume and talked about my plans. it was all very laid back and easy. good luck!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Hi

Thanks for your posts.

We are happy to have interviews-might need to do a bit of preparation but sure we will be fine.

What type of evidence did you submit with your application? I am planning to get our uni to send letter of time spent studying in France and also will include degree certificates/transcripts and both of us have done jobs where we have used our French (not to a great extent but we have used them)

Let me know if there is anything you would recommend including in the documentation.

Thanks

Lucy
Old Jan 30th 2009, 10:24 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

It must be remembered that applications for Quebec are not the same as those for the federal program. If you are in a federal program (as it seems if you sent the application to Sydney, NS) then you will have to take the TEF if you are claiming any proficiency in French.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

Silverkat is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in France for 20 years and declared a high level in French. I passed the TEF because I needed the points and didn't want to take the risk of not providing proof. I got the maximum. It was the document that took the longest, from reserving the test (3 weeks in advance), pass it, and get the results back in time (took 3 weeks after).
I trained for it beforehand with the book & CD which helped me a lot.

Last edited by Silverkat; Feb 1st 2009 at 1:36 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Thanks for your comments.

Def think need to do TEF - only problem seems to be the dates. The deadline for applying for the TEF for Manchester in March is already passed and the new FSW processing time means it might be quite difficult to get one that fits in with the time for submitting evidence.

going to look at Glasgow and London ones to see if still able to get on their next ones.

Thanks again

Lucy
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

If you don't find anything available in UK, If you fancy a trip to France, I can give you the details of the center in Paris, I got a place there with a 3 week wait.
There was Italians there and people from all over.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Thanks for tip!

Will let you know if I do need to look into coming to Paris

Thanks again

Lucy
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

I've just had a look on the web, the next available session in the center I went to in Paris is 11 March (1 wednesday per month) you need to enrol 3 weeks before the test date.
This is for the center I went to, there are other centers.
Let me know.