Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever been refused a WP at POE

Anyone ever been refused a WP at POE

Old Nov 18th 2007, 12:41 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone ever been refused a WP at POE

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
Hi,

The job I got was at Dalhousie University (www.dal.ca) the job section is at http://staffingservices.dal.ca/Job%20Vacancies/

I'd been looking for a while before anything suitable came up that I thought was worth applying for.

The other place I looked was http://jobspress.com/ this is Atlantic Canada specific. Also worth a look is cragslist though I only ever saw one biotech job there (http://halifax.craigslist.org/)

If I can be of any further help feel free to pm me.

Hey Sockdogg

I am on recce #2 Nov27-Dec4.
I am fortunate enough to have an interview lined up for the Wednesday at NSAC for a virus R&D gig. All fingers are crossed.

While I am across there I will be trying to hook up with a few people. The uk2novascotia guys, various realtors, settlement agents etc. If its not too much trouble perhaps you could have a think about who I could approach at Dal - or maybe I could trouble you for a brain-dump over a coffee or something stronger while I am in Halifax.

Let me know if you can help.

Many thanks

wbx
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wbexpat
Hey Sockdogg

I am on recce #2 Nov27-Dec4.
I am fortunate enough to have an interview lined up for the Wednesday at NSAC for a virus R&D gig. All fingers are crossed.

While I am across there I will be trying to hook up with a few people. The uk2novascotia guys, various realtors, settlement agents etc. If its not too much trouble perhaps you could have a think about who I could approach at Dal - or maybe I could trouble you for a brain-dump over a coffee or something stronger while I am in Halifax.

Let me know if you can help.

Many thanks

wbx
Hi,

There is talk of a meet up of folks from BE on the 27th if your flight gets here at a suitable time (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491296) you'd obviously be welcome to attend that.

If you cant attend this meet then I'll happily meet you when its more convenient, not sure how much help I can be as regards suggesting people at Dal to talk to as I've only been here a few weeks. When I was coming over for a recce I just looked at the jobs that were on their site and emailed a couple of people.

You've no doubt heard what its like over here, its not what you know its who you know. I didnt expect to get a job with some of the people that I saw in the summer but thought they might pass on my cv/resume if they heard of something.

Mike Wilson from UK2NS is a decent bloke, I avent had many dealings with him but whenever we've spoken he seems pretty straight down the line.

Anyway, let me know if you'd like to meet and we'll try to arrange something.

Mat
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Seems too be a common theme here. All things being equal, join the queue at immigration with the oldest (and hopefully most experienced immigration officer).

Like a couple of other posters, I drew the short straw and got the young guy who didn't understand all the regulations, probably not helped by a combination of my job not needing a LMO and landing just before midnight.

This was probably the most unpleasant and stressful 60 minutes of my entire life. Family happily living in Calgary (We originally came into Canada on a WP for another company) and the possibility of me not being allowed in .
Old Nov 20th 2007, 4:23 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
Hi,

There is talk of a meet up of folks from BE on the 27th if your flight gets here at a suitable time (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491296) you'd obviously be welcome to attend that.

If you cant attend this meet then I'll happily meet you when its more convenient, not sure how much help I can be as regards suggesting people at Dal to talk to as I've only been here a few weeks. When I was coming over for a recce I just looked at the jobs that were on their site and emailed a couple of people.

You've no doubt heard what its like over here, its not what you know its who you know. I didnt expect to get a job with some of the people that I saw in the summer but thought they might pass on my cv/resume if they heard of something.

Mike Wilson from UK2NS is a decent bloke, I avent had many dealings with him but whenever we've spoken he seems pretty straight down the line.

Anyway, let me know if you'd like to meet and we'll try to arrange something.

Mat
OK great stuff.
I will see what I can do on the 27th.
I will communicate via the "send a message" facility on here rather than gumming up the board. Please check your inbox. If it fails just post here and we'll get a plan B.

I hear what you're saying about "who you know". Its like that everywhere to be fair. Its just human nature. I dont think its unfair but I do think I need help.
Later.
wbx