Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever been refused a WP at POE

Anyone ever been refused a WP at POE

Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:49 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone ever been refused a WP at POE

Following on from my other thread about concurrent WP and LMO - I would like to know if anyone out there who had LMO in hand and applied at POE going into Canada was ever refused.

If you were refused - why and are you allowed to stay in Canada to apply for WP form there or do you be sent back home at the earliest oppourtunity?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

pete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone ever been refused a WP at POE

Hi

I wasn't refused, but you get one hell of a grilling when you are face to face with them.....it isn't something I would like to do again !!!

Pete
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by pete66
Hi

I wasn't refused, but you get one hell of a grilling when you are face to face with them.....it isn't something I would like to do again !!!

Pete
What sort of things did they ask Pete..if you remember.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Not refused. But they were going to issue the work permit for a shorter period of time than the LMO was for (1 year instead of 2). Put on your biggest smile, and ask nicely about the length of the WP they are issuing - don't just let them do all the paperwork, becuase it may be too late by the time you realize
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

Nobody that I've heard of has been refused.

Hope it doesnt start with us, we're off with our LMO to get the WP at POE on the 22nd October.

It's getting close to squeeky bum time
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
Nobody that I've heard of has been refused.

Hope it doesnt start with us, we're off with our LMO to get the WP at POE on the 22nd October.

It's getting close to squeeky bum time

Good luck Sockdogg...please deep us all informed as to how your landing went and what kind of questions you were asked.

Can I ask if the job offer from your employer states that your position is permanent or temporary. My OH's job offer is for a permanent full time position and some on here have warned that this will cause trouble at POE

Can you tell I am stressing out about this.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

I feel your pain

Its easily the most stressful thing i've experienced.

As for my job, its in the science sector, based in Dalhousie University and it is funded by a grant for 3 years, the LMO form states that they hope to make it permanent but initially its a 3 years position.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

pete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant future

Hi Alvic

The "grilling" we received was just terrible. This young immigration officer just went through the whole form, word by word. She asked questions from why they should give me with WP to why had we used an immigration officer in BC when we lived in Ontario.....I know it probably doesn't sound a big deal but when you are standing in front of them for nearly an hour, with questions being fired at you....it is a BIG deal!!!

I think we just got unlucky with her...she was only in her early 20's and probably felt like she had something to prove.....but boy it was tough.
My family and I were standing in front of her and all I kep thinking was that this young kid has our lives in her hand...it was pretty scary

The strange thing was that when she issued me with the WP....she was as nice as pie afterwards!

You may be OK and not experience anything like I did.....but they do have the right to question you and to refuse the issue of the WP.....

Good luck!!!

Pete
Old Oct 14th 2007, 1:22 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I know that plenty of people get their WP at the POE with their LMO but our immigration consultant advised us to wait until we had our permit letters before even booking our flights. It's a tough time but we held out.

We all arrived in Jan 07 and were given permits that run through til Dec 09 - so thats almost 3 years! OH's job position was permanent too.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 5:21 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel your pain

As for my job, its in the science sector, based in Dalhousie University and it is funded by a grant for 3 years, the LMO form states that they hope to make it permanent but initially its a 3 years position.
My science job at UBC is funded for 2 years and I was only given a one-year WP. So don't be surprised if the same happens to you.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

We did a swing round the flagpole to get our new WP.

Wasn't as bad as I feared. I took all the photocopies that I have ever made of all our applications for everything....BC PNP...WP to Vegreville....PR to Bufalo.

Initial problem was that orginal IO was new and had never heard of BC PNP. I did feel a bit sick when he kept asking me for my LMO, and I had to keep explaining that you didn't need one for BC PNP.

Other problem was that they couldn't find the NOC code for my job, so they had to make it up, but then were questioning whether Mr L2S should get an open WP. Luckily my confidence out stripped my nervousness and they were convinced that I was a manager and Mr L2S got his open WP.

We had one of the young, female, IO's when we first arrived last year at VYR - they are visious!
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:49 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

I feel your pain

Hi Sockdogg -
any work going for a 40 year old IT/bioinformatics MSc? Good UNIX, RDBMS, C, BSc Molecular Biology; project mgmt experience...?
Any leads are good leads!
Ta!
wbx
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:51 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
We did a swing round the flagpole to get our new WP.

Wasn't as bad as I feared. I took all the photocopies that I have ever made of all our applications for everything....BC PNP...WP to Vegreville....PR to Bufalo.

Initial problem was that orginal IO was new and had never heard of BC PNP. I did feel a bit sick when he kept asking me for my LMO, and I had to keep explaining that you didn't need one for BC PNP.

Other problem was that they couldn't find the NOC code for my job, so they had to make it up, but then were questioning whether Mr L2S should get an open WP. Luckily my confidence out stripped my nervousness and they were convinced that I was a manager and Mr L2S got his open WP.

We had one of the young, female, IO's when we first arrived last year at VYR - they are visious!
I gave mine a bit of the old Disarming Scouse Charm (TM)
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

The job I got was at Dalhousie University (www.dal.ca) the job section is at http://staffingservices.dal.ca/Job%20Vacancies/

I'd been looking for a while before anything suitable came up that I thought was worth applying for.

The other place I looked was http://jobspress.com/ this is Atlantic Canada specific. Also worth a look is cragslist though I only ever saw one biotech job there (http://halifax.craigslist.org/)

If I can be of any further help feel free to pm me.

Originally Posted by wbexpat
Hi Sockdogg -
any work going for a 40 year old IT/bioinformatics MSc? Good UNIX, RDBMS, C, BSc Molecular Biology; project mgmt experience...?
Any leads are good leads!
Ta!
wbx
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:39 pm
Truro NS

Hi,

The job I got was at Dalhousie University...

If I can be of any further help feel free to pm me.

Thanks Sockdogg. Will do.
Currently have a job application in at NSAC - will get back to you presently.
Thanks
wbx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.