Any Suggestions

Old Sep 1st 2004, 4:51 am
Just Joined

IanUKLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Suggestions would be greatly appriciated

Hi
I live in London and am currently in the process of applying for permanent residency in Canada for my family. We are going down the skilled personnel route rather than the business route as we have enough points to justify this method. As the process can take a long time (up to two years), I wanted to know if I could move to Canada as a visitor, purchase a house and start my own business whilst making my application? I currently run my own business as a self employed head hunter; my clients are based all over the world, including Canada and the US. It would be my intention to continue working in this field on a self employed basis to generate revenue for myself. All being well I have no intention of ever seeking employment whilst in Canada. Would I need any specific visa in the short term in order to achieve this?
Essentially I want to get the ball rolling quicker, however I want to do this legally and in a way that wont jeopardise our PR application. Any suggestions????
Any advice would be appreciated
Cheers
Ian

Last edited by IanUKLondon; Sep 3rd 2004 at 4:26 am.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 5:11 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Suggestions

Unfortunately it is not as easy as you would like it to be, although your goal can be reached if all is done properly. First of all - you cannot work in Canada (either as self-employed or in your own company) without proper work permit. And your strategy should be at least consulted (when designed and later implemented) with experienced immigration practitioner in Canada to make sure that (1) it works and (2) it doesn't affect your PR process.

Originally Posted by IanUKLondon
Hi
I live in London and am currently in the process of applying for permanent residency in Canada for my family. We are going down the skilled personnel route rather than the business route as we have enough points to justify this method. As the process can take a long time (up to two years), I wanted to know if I could move to Canada as a visitor, purchase a house and start my own business whilst making my application? I currently run my own business as a self employed head hunter; my clients are based all over the world, including Canada and the US. It would be my intention to continue working in this field on a self employed basis to generate revenue for myself. All being well I have no intention of ever seeking employment whilst in Canada. Would I need any specific visa in the short term in order to achieve this?
Essentially I want to get the ball rolling quicker, however I want to do this legally and in a way that wont jeopardise our PR application. Any suggestions????
Cheers
Ian
Old Sep 1st 2004, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. How much does that advice cost?
Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Unfortunately it is not as easy as you would like it to be, although your goal can be reached if all is done properly. First of all - you cannot work in Canada (either as self-employed or in your own company) without proper work permit. And your strategy should be at least consulted (when designed and later implemented) with experienced immigration practitioner in Canada to make sure that (1) it works and (2) it doesn't affect your PR process.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 5:28 am

It depends - you may contact me directly for free evaluation first.

Thanks for your reply. How much does that advice cost?
Old Sep 1st 2004, 5:46 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Cheers
Ian
No problem at all buying property and making extended visits, but operating your business is a grey area. I suspect you may fall foul of being considered to be working without a permit, even as self employed, but under some circumstances it is OK to do work, eg for UK clients, rather as if you were checking calls / email from a hotel room while on the road. The grey area is which clients, and what kind of work I believe, but Im not a lawyer / expert. As you say, without a permit the danger is you could jeapordise the PR application.

Good Luck.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 5:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
No problem at all buying property and making extended visits, but operating your business is a grey area. I suspect you may fall foul of being considered to be working without a permit, even as self employed, but under some circumstances it is OK to do work, eg for UK clients, rather as if you were checking calls / email from a hotel room while on the road. The grey area is which clients, and what kind of work I believe, but Im not a lawyer / expert. As you say, without a permit the danger is you could jeapordise the PR application.

Good Luck.
Thank you for that. Is there any type of short term working visa they issue on that basis?
Plus what is the quickest route to PR status, skilled worker or Entreprneur/Investor?
Old Sep 1st 2004, 5:52 am
Just Joined

Thank you for that. Is there any type of short term working visa they issue on that basis?
Plus what is the quickest route to PR status, skilled worker or Entreprneur/Investor?
Also, when you say extended visits, how long could we stay and how long would we have to leave for between visits? Is it a case of popping over the border for the night or is it more involved than that?
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:18 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

All very good questions! Unfortunately I'm not sure of the answers, and have never seen a definative answer here!

Typically a first visit could be up to 6 months, but it is all at the discresion of the immigration officer when you enter. If there are any hard and fast rules, no one is letting on. Typically if you have obvious ties to your home country and a return ticket it should be OK. If you have a one way ticket and all your worldly goods with you, they will probably deny entry. Subsequent visits will probably be shorter. How long you have to be out of the country before returning to visit is also a good question. Maybe Jim knows as he was a visa officer?
If you just pop over the border and back, they will catch on pretty quick!

Dont know for sure but I suspect anything is faster than skilled worker at the moment, and London CHC is not the slowest station by a long way., however investor need a lot more money, and there are follow up conditions to be met i believe regarding how well your business is doing, so it could perhaps be revoked after a few years.

Dont know the permit situation for the type of freelance work you seem to be contemplating, surely there is something though? Did the CIC site www.cic.gc.ca shed any light?

If you get a good answer, let us know!

Cheers

Iain
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:48 am

There is no work permit that would fit your initial idea - although there are ways to have the cake and eat it too...

As for the fastest way - there will be no big difference in CHC London between Skilled Workers and Business class cases, although there may be quite difference if let's say a Business PNP route is selected. There are some Business PNP that may be concluded in well under 12 months from PNP application, through PR visa application to have visa issued.

But as I many times stated here, the meticulous preparation of entire application package - including submitting 100% conclusive evidence, making sure that not only nothing is missing but also that all predictable doubts and questions processing officer may have (specific to your particular circimstances and/or submitted evidence) are being fully addressed in the package, that absolutely nothing is left for interpretation or needs additional verification of clarification, etc. - will make a substantial difference in processing time, regardless the class applicatiuon is filed under. A single doubt may lead to request for interview and result in additional 6 to 12+ months of processing.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Sep 1st 2004 at 8:51 am.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 9:57 am
Just Joined

There is no work permit that would fit your initial idea - although there are ways to have the cake and eat it too...

As for the fastest way - there will be no big difference in CHC London between Skilled Workers and Business class cases, although there may be quite difference if let's say a Business PNP route is selected. There are some Business PNP that may be concluded in well under 12 months from PNP application, through PR visa application to have visa issued.

But as I many times stated here, the meticulous preparation of entire application package - including submitting 100% conclusive evidence, making sure that not only nothing is missing but also that all predictable doubts and questions processing officer may have (specific to your particular circimstances and/or submitted evidence) are being fully addressed in the package, that absolutely nothing is left for interpretation or needs additional verification of clarification, etc. - will make a substantial difference in processing time, regardless the class applicatiuon is filed under. A single doubt may lead to request for interview and result in additional 6 to 12+ months of processing.
Thanks Iain/Andy, I will let you know what I find out. Andy whats your number? Iain, lets hope we fare better this year with our new manager. Not sure about loosing Owen though?
Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:34 am

Simply click on my name on the left side here and select "Send email to...".

Make sure to provide your email address where I can send more info about my services.

Thanks Iain/Andy, I will let you know what I find out. Andy whats your number? Iain, lets hope we fare better this year with our new manager. Not sure about loosing Owen though?
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks, will be in touch!
Old Sep 4th 2004, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, will be in touch!
??? ?????
Old Sep 4th 2004, 7:18 pm

Info and assessment form for free evaluation were emailed to your btinternet email address on Sep 02 @ 11:02 PST and didn't bounce, thus I assume that it is on yout ISP server.

I am sending it again as we speak just to make sure that you get it. Please send me email if you still don't have it.

??? ?????