Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Any recommended Canadian immigration lawyers?

Any recommended Canadian immigration lawyers?

Old Sep 17th 2016, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Prolifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any recommended Canadian immigration lawyers?

Are there any good Canadian immigration lawyers that anyone can recommend who have extensive experience with PR applications?

The reason I ask is that I've been repeatedly denied PR status, despite having more than enough points and comfortably meeting all pre-requisites, due to a lack of supporting evidence for my employment history. I've provided employer references, job contracts, bank statements which display my income (I wasn't able to provide pay cheques due to the freelance nature of my work) and yet I still get refused. I've been told that in my situation a good immigration lawyer is the only recourse, as they're the only ones who can provide me with all the help I need in terms of proving employment history (e.g. ensuring your employment references do not sound like they were tailor-made for your corresponding NOC).

I should also mention that when I've asked Canadian immigration to give me some further explanation as to what documents I should have provided (since I had provided everything I possibly could), I got no response and was told to simply re-apply again.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 7:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any recommended Canadian immigration lawyers?

Hmmmm, that doesn't sound good.

I can recommend a lawyer or two, but personally I'd suggest you give a bit more info and see if you can get some free advice on here. We do have immi consultants, immi officers etc that post on here and might be able to help you out.

What NOC code is it you've been trying to prove evidence of?

And exactly what have you provided i.e. what do your references actually say? Do they include everything CIC ask for in them?

You don't need bank statements for proof of income, that has nothing to do with FSW requirements (although you do need to show proof of funds, but that's for the lump sum in your bank account rather than showing regular pay going in there).

And lastly, how have you applied for PR, assuming via EE? So you applied and then got given an ITA?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here 5 years so things have probably changed a bit but we actually got s print out from the Revenue that listed all hubbies jobs. Could that help?
Old Sep 18th 2016, 4:20 am
Just Joined

Prolifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond repute

The NOC job category that I applied under was that of a translator.

Yes, I went through the EE route (this was several months ago), received the ITA, and passed all the medicals and everything else they had requested. Then after several months I was told that the immigration officer wasn't convinced that I had provided enough information to prove that I had worked in the indicated NOC category. And that was that. No further feedback or response.
I know that bank statements aren't required for proof of income, but its the only proof that I could provide, given that I didn't receive any pay checks. And my work references provided all the information that CIC required of them. Also, I checked with my references, and not one of them was contacted by anyone from CIC for even a brief phone interview.

Other than going through an immigration lawyer, the only other possible proof that I could have provided (and which I may do next time) was income tax statements. The only issue with that is that its not proof enough that I actually worked in the required NOC job, only that I received an income.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prolifix
The NOC job category that I applied under was that of a translator.

Yes, I went through the EE route (this was several months ago), received the ITA, and passed all the medicals and everything else they had requested. Then after several months I was told that the immigration officer wasn't convinced that I had provided enough information to prove that I had worked in the indicated NOC category. And that was that. No further feedback or response.
I know that bank statements aren't required for proof of income, but its the only proof that I could provide, given that I didn't receive any pay checks. And my work references provided all the information that CIC required of them. Also, I checked with my references, and not one of them was contacted by anyone from CIC for even a brief phone interview.

Other than going through an immigration lawyer, the only other possible proof that I could have provided (and which I may do next time) was income tax statements. The only issue with that is that its not proof enough that I actually worked in the required NOC job, only that I received an income.
I'm confused why you say you didn't receive pay cheques??
Old Sep 18th 2016, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am suggesting you do consider hiring someone to review your EE profile and your applications to date because something's gone wrong several times. Many of us probably have an idea of why this has happened to you, but can't know for sure without reviewing what's happened to date and exactly what you submitted.

If you decide to go this route, make sure you use someone who is regulated and authorized to represent you. You can select someone by searching through the Regulator's list here:

THE COUNCIL’S MEMBERSHIP LIST | iccrc - crcic

It wouldn't matter if they are located in Canada and you are not.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 18th 2016 at 2:08 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 2:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I'm confused why you say you didn't receive pay cheques??
Cash in hand? if so it will be almost impossible to prove income levels. You really needed a salaried job, or be self employed and use an accountant to do your books
Old Sep 18th 2016, 4:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any good Canadian immigration lawyers that anyone can recommend who have extensive experience with PR applications?

The reason I ask is that I've been repeatedly denied PR status, despite having more than enough points and comfortably meeting all pre-requisites, due to a lack of supporting evidence for my employment history. I've provided employer references, job contracts, bank statements which display my income (I wasn't able to provide pay cheques due to the freelance nature of my work) and yet I still get refused. I've been told that in my situation a good immigration lawyer is the only recourse, as they're the only ones who can provide me with all the help I need in terms of proving employment history (e.g. ensuring your employment references do not sound like they were tailor-made for your corresponding NOC).

I should also mention that when I've asked Canadian immigration to give me some further explanation as to what documents I should have provided (since I had provided everything I possibly could), I got no response and was told to simply re-apply again.
If you are working freelance, presumably you are sending in invoices to the companies/individuals concerned, specifying what the charge was for? I work freelance (remote) and have to do so. I also receive notification of payment from them which references what is being paid and for what.

I agree with Snowy, you could ask for your documentation to be read through to see what you are missing. A few hundred dollars could save you a lot of heartache!

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 18th 2016 at 4:53 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 5:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

And my work references provided all the information that CIC required of them.
Did they have everything that is requested by CIC including duties listed? And are they proper reference letters from a company? Which match up with an employment contract?

It does sound a bit odd that you've not had pay checks, as Siouxie has said do you normally invoice them?

You say you've been 'repeatedly' refused PR, what has gone wrong the other times?
Old Sep 19th 2016, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the link to the ICCRC. If I do decide to go through the immigration process again in the future, I will definitely go through one of those consultants.

As Siouxie said, several hundred (or even thousand) dollars in expenses for a good immigration lawyer are more than justified in more unique cases such as mine. And that's not even mentioning the saved time and peace of mind.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If you decide to go through it again, hire a regulated consultant to make the application for you. You have had several refusals. You aren't completely sure why. It might not be one thing. It could be several. Even if the consultant is in Canada, you can work with them over Skype etc.

S