Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Any problems travelling on one-way ticket from Canada to the US?

Any problems travelling on one-way ticket from Canada to the US?

Old May 19th 2010, 4:05 am
Just Joined

deliana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any problems travelling on one-way ticket from Canada to the US?

My husband and I are about to move to Vancouver from the UK. My parents live in California, and we decided to visit them before settling down in Vancouver. So, we've chosen to fly to Vancouver for a few days, then fly to California. We've only purchased one-way tickets, as we intend to drive back to Vancouver with my parents.

I have US citizenship, but my husband is a UK citizen. When booking our tickets, I'd assumed that as long as we have 2-year visas for Canada in our passports (which we will), US immigration will understand that we're planning to return to Canada - just not on a plane. However, being paranoid about US bureaucracy, I'm having second thoughts.

Has anyone on this forum had any problems travelling on a one-way ticket into the States from Canada? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old May 19th 2010, 4:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any problems travelling on one-way ticket from Canada to the US?

Originally Posted by deliana
My husband and I are about to move to Vancouver from the UK. My parents live in California, and we decided to visit them before settling down in Vancouver. So, we've chosen to fly to Vancouver for a few days, then fly to California. We've only purchased one-way tickets, as we intend to drive back to Vancouver with my parents.

I have US citizenship, but my husband is a UK citizen. When booking our tickets, I'd assumed that as long as we have 2-year visas for Canada in our passports (which we will), US immigration will understand that we're planning to return to Canada - just not on a plane. However, being paranoid about US bureaucracy, I'm having second thoughts.

Has anyone on this forum had any problems travelling on a one-way ticket into the States from Canada? Thanks in advance for any help.
Hello and welcome to BE.

Firstly which Vancouver are you flying into...the US or Canada? If it's the US your first problem will be the airline...normally they refuse to board non USC passengers with a one way ticket without a US visa.

I'm not sure about US Immigration...perhaps if you have strong proof of your intentions to move to Canada ie Canadian Imm. papers, rental agreement, letter from employer etc if would suffice. I think the best forum to ask about entering the US from the UK with a one way ticket would be the US Immigration forum. Click here and it will take you directly to the US Imm. forum.

On the other hand if you are flying to Vancouver Canada from the UK I assume you will have activated your Canadian Visa at Canadian Immigration...if that is the case then you shouldn't have a problem entering the US. Please note I said assume...I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you more reliable advice. Good luck.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 19th 2010 at 4:23 am.
Old May 19th 2010, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't you supposed to have a return ticket if you're flying into America on the visa waiver program?
Old May 19th 2010, 1:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Aren't you supposed to have a return ticket if you're flying into America on the visa waiver program?
That is correct. Canadian citizens, US visa holders (including those with tourist visas) and green card holders can fly into the US on a one-way ticket. The visa waiver program does not allow for this.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wi...hout_1990.html
Old May 19th 2010, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

deliana is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies. Glad I checked.

However, it says this on the Visa Waiver Quick Reference Guide: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/VWP-Quic...enceGuide.pdf:
"If arriving by air or sea, are you traveling on an approved carrier and do you have a re-turn ticket abroad? Travelers with onward tickets terminating in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, or the Caribbean Islands must be legal permanent residents of those areas."

As I'm going as a student, we're only going to be temporary residents for two years. Does that mean that every time my husband wants to visit my parents with me he needs a ticket back to the UK? This seems completely crazy ... !
Old May 20th 2010, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deliana
As I'm going as a student, we're only going to be temporary residents for two years. Does that mean that every time my husband wants to visit my parents with me he needs a ticket back to the UK? This seems completely crazy ... !
Best bet is to call the US embassy: he might want to get a US visa to avoid any hassles in future.
Old May 20th 2010, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

tastyh will become famous soon enoughtastyh will become famous soon enough

Here's an idea. Once you fly into Vancouver and get your visas activated, drive or get a bus across the US border into Bellingham and fly to California from there. I have done this multiple times on the VWP and US immigration have never asked to see a return bus ticket or anything like that. It will also be much cheaper to fly from Bellingham.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

I fly to the US several times a month always on a one way ticket never even been mentioned by US boarder control.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

If you are not an American and not a Canadian (or Canadian PR) and don't hold valid US visa then your experience may somehow count. Otherwise please refer to the post #4 above.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Everyone I know who lives in Vancouver (Canada) area drives (or busses) to the US and flies from there if they're going somewhere within the US. It's just SOOOO much cheaper that it's not worth their while to fly from Canada. Just an fyi.