Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Any problems getting a SIN as a PR recently?

Any problems getting a SIN as a PR recently?

Old Mar 18th 2012, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice
Default Any problems getting a SIN as a PR recently?

Hi Folks,

My wife and I have been living in Canada for the last 2 and a bit years (WHP, then TWPs), and have had a "9" SIN for that time. I'll be landing as a PR in a little over a month (after a bit of a holiday).. but going by this page from Service Canada, there may be a hitch with work - As we're from a non-TRV country, I don't (and won't) have a counterfoil visa, and as I applied for PR from within Canada, they say they need a PR card to get a SIN.

Except the processing time for the first PR card is currently listed at 35 days, and our previous, temporary SINs, expires 2 weeks after we land as PRs, so before the PR cards arrive.

So how do I legally work between the time the original SIN expires, and the time I can get a new one, approximately a month later?

Do we just show our new COPR documents + stamps from passport to our employers and let them know when we get new SINs? what about our bank accounts? Sorry, I know I'm probably overthinking it, but having a job and access to our bank accounts is reaaasonably important
Old Mar 18th 2012, 10:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any problems getting a SIN as a PR recently?

I notice it states that a PR card is the only acceptable document if your claim was processed in Canada, however, further down it states:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/s...ly/proof.shtml

Permanent residents

You must submit one of the following primary documents:

"Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND foreign passport for visa exempt countries" (No counterfoil required)

When I applied for my SI number (in 2010) I was an inland processed applicant with no PR card and they were happy to accept my COPR with my UK Passport.

Perhaps you could pop into a Service Canada Centre and have a chat - I have found them very helpful.

Old Mar 19th 2012, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice

Phew, thanks siouxie! Silly me for assuming one page from a government department has all the options
Old Mar 19th 2012, 6:28 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

And to add, your employer does not need to know your new SIN straight away. They do need to know that you are legally entitled to carry on working in Canada once your temporary SIN expires. Your COPR is that proof. You can tell then your new SIN as soon as you know it.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 7:16 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

When you go to the Service Canada office to apply for your SIN card they will tell you your number right away and the card will come a few weeks later.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
When you go to the Service Canada office to apply for your SIN card they will tell you your number right away and the card will come a few weeks later.
Yes, we're onto our second SIN cards now - it looks like I will be able to get one same day - we live near a Service Canada centre, so we'll probably head down there while trying to stave off jetlag
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:28 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

I "landed" in Saskatoon in October 2011. The wait time for the PR card was then over 3 months. the CIC office told me to go to service Canada with the paper copy they'd just given me and my passport.

I walked the 4 blocks to Service Canada and 10 mins later had my new SIN. They even faxed the info to Saskatchewan Health so they could reissue me a card that didn't expire with the now defunct TWP.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 6:47 am
pfw
Forum Regular

pfw is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to further confirm what others have said:

We collected our new SINs today, without PR cards (which we are still waiting for), just with the documentation attached to the passport on landing. You also need your old SIN card if you had one (these are kept and destroyed). It takes about 10 minutes, assuming you can spell your home address correctly and remember your postcode (ahem )

The new number is available immediately and you get a piece of paper with the number on. Proper cards with the numbers on follow a couple of weeks later (we were told).
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Just by way of update - my wife was able to get her SIN OK, but mine had problems.

Apparently when they issued my COPR, it referred my second-last work permit (this isn't printed anywhere on the COPR), while my current "9"/temporary SIN refers to the most recent one. However to change status, the computer system automatically references the current SIN's TWP number to the COPR record, which meant it failed, so I'm now waiting for up to 4 weeks (but hopefully 2) while it is manually processed.

My temporary SIN is valid for another 3 weeks, so I can keep working, and apparently there are some options to still get paid without a SIN, but they strongly suggested I call back in 2 weeks if I don't hear from them.

Ahh bureaucracy.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Amandine57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JGK
I "landed" in Saskatoon in October 2011. The wait time for the PR card was then over 3 months. the CIC office told me to go to service Canada with the paper copy they'd just given me and my passport.

I walked the 4 blocks to Service Canada and 10 mins later had my new SIN. They even faxed the info to Saskatchewan Health so they could reissue me a card that didn't expire with the now defunct TWP.
Does this apply to all Service Canada offices in the country ?
On their website they seem to say that people that applied inland have to wait for their PR card to get a new SIN.
I have my landing interview on November 22.
I also have a job offer for November 26th so I would really need to get a new SIN on the same day.

Thanks,
Old Oct 21st 2012, 2:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amandine57
Does this apply to all Service Canada offices in the country ?
On their website they seem to say that people that applied inland have to wait for their PR card to get a new SIN.
I have my landing interview on November 22.
I also have a job offer for November 26th so I would really need to get a new SIN on the same day.

Thanks,
Originally Posted by siouxie
I notice it states that a PR card is the only acceptable document if your claim was processed in Canada, however, further down it states:

Permanent residents

"Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND foreign passport for visa exempt countries" (No counterfoil required)

When I applied for my SI number (in 2010) I was an inland processed applicant with no PR card and they were happy to accept my COPR with my UK Passport.
Mine was processed in Ontario, but Service Canada is Nationwide and the same will apply whichever Province you apply to.

Old Oct 21st 2012, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Mine was processed in Ontario, but Service Canada is Nationwide and the same will apply whichever Province you apply to.

OK Thank you =) I'm hoping there will be no issue and I'll get my new SIN as soon as I get my COPR =) I've been reading posts on different forums and some people say that you can get the SIN as soon as you get the COPR, even if you applied inland, some say you can't.
But since it did work for you, I'm hopeful !
I just found the sentence
This is the only acceptable document if your claim was processed in Canada on the Service Canada website very confusing.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Permanent residents

Perhaps you could pop into a Service Canada Centre and have a chat - I have found them very helpful.

Hi;

I called Service Canada and the woman mentioned that indeed this was feasible. However; she mentioned a few things and then refused to repeat. She said that my passport number had to be on the COPR and that the COPR had to be on my passport and that the officer needed to write the COPR number on the passport. Did the immigration officer do that for you ??

Also, if I may ask, what information is on the COPR ? is the your address on it ? applicant's address ? sponsor's address ?

Thanks a lot !
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Can you guys let me know what information is on the COPR ? is the applicant's address on it ? the sponsor's address ? Thanks !
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 2:44 pm
Banned

Family Name
Date of Landing
Citizenship Country of Birth
Marital Status
Place of Birth
Given Name
Sex
Date of Birth
Date of Original Entry

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...s/5218ETOC.asp

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 22nd 2012 at 2:49 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.