Any preference for US citizens?

Old Aug 12th 2011, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all
Default Re: Any preference for US citizens?

Originally Posted by gad33
A few things to consider which I don't think will make a difference in your choice to move to Canada but will be useful when negotiating your remuneration package.

Healthcare may be "universal" but it's not free. You won't have the whopping insurance premium but you will have all the other deductions which could work out higher.

Generally the cost of living is higher in Canada so you might want to look at costs of various necessities to see how much difference there is.

You'll have to file taxes in both the US and Canada. Your level of income and investments will depend on whether you are double taxed.

And the exchange rate isn't in your favour at the moment.

If you enter Canada under NAFTA, your wife will get an open temporary work permit but she will not be allowed to work in education nor health care.

I looked at your post about why you want to leave the US. No health care system is perfect. You will find as many Canadians complaining about the health service as loving it. Universal means everyone in the province is covered equally. It doesn't mean that everything is covered. Many employers offer supplemental health insurance.
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm encouraged by what I've been told. Next step is a recce - going to be a big one as the job offer I've received is in Vancouver! I'm well aware that Vancouver's ridiculously expensive to live in, but, let's just say the company involved looks like they're going to make it worthwhile.

A few more questions spring to mind:
1) In terms of regular bills, assuming you're renting, what might we expect? I know there'll be the usual stuff like water, 'leccy/hydro, gas, TV/internet and phones, but is there anything else we should know about, like rates, rubbish collection and stuff like that?
2) Car insurance - I gather, in BC, you have to get your car insurance through the province's own insurer, and I've heard it's rather expensive... your thoughts?
3) Regarding getting a TWP for NAFTA, does this have to be done in advance, or can it be done at the POE? I would assume getting it in advance is preferable.

As far as the healthcare system goes, people in the UK complain about the NHS all the time, but wouldn't be without it if it came to the crunch. And, here in the US, the system just flat out frightens me and I really don't want my son growing up in a system like that. I'm aware that things like prescription costs can be high in Canada, and can add up, so we'd probably be looking to get supplemental insurance for prescriptions and dental - someone directed me to check out Green Shield (who I know only from the old stamps ).
Old Aug 12th 2011, 7:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm encouraged by what I've been told. Next step is a recce - going to be a big one as the job offer I've received is in Vancouver! I'm well aware that Vancouver's ridiculously expensive to live in, but, let's just say the company involved looks like they're going to make it worthwhile.

A few more questions spring to mind:
1) In terms of regular bills, assuming you're renting, what might we expect? I know there'll be the usual stuff like water, 'leccy/hydro, gas, TV/internet and phones, but is there anything else we should know about, like rates, rubbish collection and stuff like that?
2) Car insurance - I gather, in BC, you have to get your car insurance through the province's own insurer, and I've heard it's rather expensive... your thoughts?
3) Regarding getting a TWP for NAFTA, does this have to be done in advance, or can it be done at the POE? I would assume getting it in advance is preferable.

As far as the healthcare system goes, people in the UK complain about the NHS all the time, but wouldn't be without it if it came to the crunch. And, here in the US, the system just flat out frightens me and I really don't want my son growing up in a system like that. I'm aware that things like prescription costs can be high in Canada, and can add up, so we'd probably be looking to get supplemental insurance for prescriptions and dental - someone directed me to check out Green Shield (who I know only from the old stamps ).
Best thing to do is ask these questions in the main Canada forum - the immigration section is really only for visa/immigration related queries, so you'll get more responses if you put it in the main bit.

Regarding your questions above, you've asked about whether or not your wife would be able to work but haven't actually said what visa you'd be on or what the job is - if you can clarify then we can give you the answer. As PMM mentioned above, NAFTA isn't an option unless you are a USC, but if you are that would be a good option, or if not then it'll have to be a TWP.

Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Healthcare may be "universal" but it's not free. You won't have the whopping insurance premium but you will have all the other deductions which could work out higher.
Possibly a deductition for the employee share of a company scheme to cover prescriptions, dental and optical, if the company has a scheme with shared fees. That's it though, it's hardly likely to cost the same as the fee for a scheme that covers that and basic medical care.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw
I'm assuming from your first post that you will get your US citizenship before moving to Canada. We came up on NAFTA. The company lawyer prepared a packet which we presented at POE.

I can't answer your questions about Vancouver and BC but as christmasoompa said these sort of questions should be asked in the general forum (after searching of course!)

There is a forum like this which is for US and Canadians moving to each others country. I don't know the URL but if you ask on the US forum I am sure someone will be nice enough to point you to it. I am suggesting this as some procedures are different for Americans coming in - exchanging driving license springs to mind.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Possibly a deductition for the employee share of a company scheme to cover prescriptions, dental and optical, if the company has a scheme with shared fees. That's it though, it's hardly likely to cost the same as the fee for a scheme that covers that and basic medical care.
By all other deductions I mean all the deductions from your pay not just those related to medical. Total deductions could well end up being higher.