Any options for our family?

Old Mar 14th 2014, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

mummy2three is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any options for our family?

We are in the initial stages of looking at emigrating to Canada. I looked briefly last year but I find the process to confusing we ended up leaving it with an aim to look nearer the time.

My husband has worked as an administrator for 10 years both for the NHS and a university and a we spoke to IXP Visas who advised he should be the main lead, however we are not 100% comfortable with the info we have been given by this company so are looking into whether we could do this alone.

I am due to qualify as a MH Nurse in the UK and I understand that this would mean getting registered to work in each state.

We have 3 children.

we would consider a temporary visa if there is an option to look for PR in the future.

Ideally we would like to move early 2015 when I have 6 months post qualifying experience.

Has anyone any advice or could point us in the right direction?
Old Mar 14th 2014, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any options for our family?

Canada has provinces not states and MN is only accepted in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. If looking at coming over as yourself as main applicant and skilled then looking really at having over 12 months work experience. Also process to get registered and sit exam for RMN can take a while.

Pull up a chair and grab a coffee as you check the wiki out for different options on coming over to Canada
Old Mar 14th 2014, 11:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mummy2three
We are in the initial stages of looking at emigrating to Canada. I looked briefly last year but I find the process to confusing we ended up leaving it with an aim to look nearer the time.

My husband has worked as an administrator for 10 years both for the NHS and a university and a we spoke to IXP Visas who advised he should be the main lead, however we are not 100% comfortable with the info we have been given by this company so are looking into whether we could do this alone.

I am due to qualify as a MH Nurse in the UK and I understand that this would mean getting registered to work in each state.

We have 3 children.

we would consider a temporary visa if there is an option to look for PR in the future.

Ideally we would like to move early 2015 when I have 6 months post qualifying experience.

Has anyone any advice or could point us in the right direction?
I moved your post to the Immigration section.

Regarding the immigration company you mention, they are/were trading under a different name which has not got a good reputation so you may want to do some due diligence and research them before making a decision whether to use them.

You would need to be Provincially registered and certified to work as a MH nurse which can be a long and drawn out process. Which Provinces are you interested in moving to?

When you say 'Administrator' - do you mean an office administrative position? First you need to ascertain what National Occupation Code your husband's work experience would be classed at. You can find out by looking at the NOC matrix here http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...ml/Matrix.html - then look to the left hand column and see whether it is O/A/B or C/D. That is the part that will help determine which route you can take for PR.

Have a quick read over the different routes to immigration to give you an idea of what is available - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...an_Immigration

If you can let us know what NOC code he is and where you would 'prefer' to live, advice on different streams can be offered - there are more than 50 ways!

Old Mar 14th 2014, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

I think the province statement has been mentioned before, I really should pay attention!!! Apologies!

I understand that I can only work in the provinces listed above, we have mainly been looking at AB and BC anyway. It was IXP Visa Agent company telling us we would be better heading off on my hubby's administrative skills that through us. We didn't think this would be a way of getting over there.

I have tried browsing the wiki, I feel like my mind if going in circles. We have spent years looking at emigrating to Australia and I think going from learning one visa process to another completely baffles you. I remember spending about a month last time trying to figure things out and have been on here for 2 days and feel like I am going in circles as there is no clear path. There are so many options!

My husbands heart has always lied with Canada whereas I had wanted Australia. As we are getting closer to emigrating however, I am getting tempted by the Canadian way of life and I feel like I owe it to him to consider it in depth to know if it is feasible.

If we were over there and I had completed my RPN examinations but had less than 12 months experience do you feel like I would be able to secure a job? We are happy to live in a rural area. Our life revolves around the country lifestyle now and venturing into a city is our families idea of hell!
Old Mar 14th 2014, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi Siouxie,

Thanks for your reply. Looking at the list I would say he would be B, Major Group 12, number 124.

The role he does is quite skilled and requires prior experience. It is not an entry level administration role. It is also within a university office.

We are looking at BC first, else AB. We like Vancouver Island, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton but would consider further rural. The only thing we would hate to do is live within the city area, we do like a quiet life with a few local shops and services.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

If we were over there and I had completed my RPN examinations but had less than 12 months experience do you feel like I would be able to secure a job? We are happy to live in a rural area. Our life revolves around the country lifestyle now and venturing into a city is our families idea of hell!
A lot really depends on route you plan on using. Employers may look at you with less than 12 months but actual processing times with college for RPN ( psychiatric nurses) can be long and most employers will not look at you unless you have passed or have eligibility to sit exam
Old Mar 15th 2014, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
A lot really depends on route you plan on using. Employers may look at you with less than 12 months but actual processing times with college for RPN ( psychiatric nurses) can be long and most employers will not look at you unless you have passed or have eligibility to sit exam

Do you know if it is possible to sit the exams in the UK or how long the processing time is? How would I know if I was eligible to sit the exams. Sorry if these are fairly simple questions, I have tried to locate this info but for someone new to the process it does seem quite simple and people seem very negative about UK MH nurses heading to Canada?
Old Mar 15th 2014, 8:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know if it is possible to sit the exams in the UK or how long the processing time is? How would I know if I was eligible to sit the exams. Sorry if these are fairly simple questions, I have tried to locate this info but for someone new to the process it does seem quite simple and people seem very negative about UK MH nurses heading to Canada?
If you follow the links from this page (at the bottom) you will be able to obtain details on how to register in each Province, what is required and how to take any exams.

http://www.cicic.ca/684/Psychiatric_...da?prof=3152.1

Psychiatric nursing is regulated as a distinct profession in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Foreign trained registered psychiatric nurses must apply for registration in the appropriate jurisdiction in order to practice as a registered psychiatric nurse in one of these provinces or in Yukon. The regulatory bodies for psychiatric nursing in Canada jointly form the Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Canada (RPNC).

People aren't being negative, they are just trying to make you aware that it is not an easy route to take and it can take a long time to become registered.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 15th 2014 at 8:27 am.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Thank you I will look over that tonight. Just wanted to add that I'd quoted "for someone new to the process it does seem quite simple", I meant to say difficult. Just trying to consider time frames for work etc. With Australia the forums are packed with helpful info but with Canada there doesn't seem so much.

P's can I ask how long it could take till I can work? Would this be after arriving in Canada or something I'd be doing from the UK? Is there any hope for my husband finding work? Thankyou

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 15th 2014 at 8:42 am. Reason: I merged your posts for you - if you need to add anything, you can do so by clicking 'edit' within 2 hours of posting :)
Old Mar 15th 2014, 8:50 am
Banned

Thank you I will look over that tonight. Just wanted to add that I'd quoted "for someone new to the process it does seem quite simple", I meant to say difficult. Just trying to consider time frames for work etc. With Australia the forums are packed with helpful info but with Canada there doesn't seem so much.

P's can I ask how long it could take till I can work? Would this be after arriving in Canada or something I'd be doing from the UK? Is there any hope for my husband finding work? Thankyou
You are very welcome.

There is lots of info on the Canadian board but unfortunately the search function is down at the moment. When it's back up, you should be able to find quite a few threads on this subject.

I have no idea how long the process will take, sorry, you would need to read through the Provincial links and see what the steps are. Once you have decided which Province you are most likely to want to move to, you should be able to get advice as to the length of time it could take.

I believe you would need to sit the exams in Canada. http://www.cna-aiic.ca/en/becoming-an-rn/work-in-canada

If I were you, I would look at the different Provinces and see if any of them have a 'quicker' way to gain certification than others, then look into work prospects in those areas.

As to your husband, does he have certification as an Administrator?

Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Currently exams only took 3 times a year in Canada, not sure if going the same way as the CRNE which in 2015 becomes NCLEX like and probably taken anywhere NCLEX is offered. Processing times I am not sure on how long but looking probably 6-12 months and you will only know if eligible once the province has reviewed your paperwork