Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Any Manila applicants tried to check status with embassy?

Any Manila applicants tried to check status with embassy?

Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:38 am
Just Joined

samm is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Any Manila applicants tried to check status with embassy?

To those who applied through the Canadian Embassy in Manila,

Anyone tried to contact the embassy to check on the status of their applications? I know it's a big no-no, but if any, do you mind sharing what happened?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by samm; Feb 17th 2005 at 11:46 am.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

centauri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Manila applicants tried to check status with embassy?

Hi Samm,

Way back June 2004, I sent a letter to CIC Manila inquiring about the status of my application. I pursued to write them after the 12 month period that they said I have to wait lapsed. A month later (July), I received a correspondence from them and it was an interview notice. I am not so sure if my letter caused them to give attention to my pending application but it worked probably. So if you think it is high time to inquire, then do it. Keep your spirits high and seek help from HIM.

Originally Posted by samm

Anyone tried to contact the embassy to check on the status of their applications? I know it's a big no-no, but if any, do you mind sharing what happened?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

mcdo_60102 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance.
hi samm,

what is your timeline?

my hubby applied under skilled worker category in August 2001.
Nov. 2004, we updated our application and added our new born baby.
Dec. 2004, we were asked to pay for the Landing Fee and sent updated bank accounts, NBI clearances, employment certs, etc.
Jan. 2005, medical forms were sent to us for scheduling.
Feb. 2005, we sent a letter to the embassy requesting them to postpone our medicals since i'm 5 mos. pregnant for our 3rd kid.
At present, we are just waiting for me to give birth in May and prepare for the baby's documents (birth & baptismal certs., and passport) for submission to the embassy.

mcdo
Old Feb 17th 2005, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

mcdo_60102 is an unknown quantity at this point

samm,

we didn't try contacting the embassy. it could only delay our application as indicated in one of their reasons for the delay of applications.

mcdo
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Any Manila applicants tried to check status with embassy?

Originally Posted by mcdo_60102
samm,

we didn't try contacting the embassy. it could only delay our application as indicated in one of their reasons for the delay of applications.

mcdo
That's actually my apprehension, mcdo. It might even jeopardize my application. But good for centauri ... well, centauri's luck may not be mine

My timeline:

Dec 2001 - submitted application
Jan 2002 - AOR
Jun 2003 - submitted new docs per new requirements
Dec 2004 - rasolzadeh letter

No word since

Centauri, you are the primary applicant right? What is your profession, if you don't mind?

Last edited by samm; Feb 17th 2005 at 8:17 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

centauri is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Samm,

Yeah right, I'm the principal applicant with an IT profession.

That's actually my apprehension, mcdo. It might even jeopardize my application. But good for centauri ... well, centauri's luck may not be mine

My timeline:

Dec 2001 - submitted application
Jan 2002 - AOR
Jun 2003 - submitted new docs per new requirements
Dec 2004 - rasolzadeh letter

No word since

Centauri, you are the primary applicant right? What is your profession, if you don't mind?
Old Feb 18th 2005, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Inah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance.
Hello, Samm,

After everything that's happened in recent years, I believe that the Canadian Embassy in Manila has become more understanding about applicants checking their status.

I also read in another forum about an applicant who sent a fax asking for an update. He said that if your application has reached its 40th month (and of course a year after the IRPA update in 2003), it is alright to seek a status.

So far, almost every Manila applicant who has been asked for their passports in this forum is from batch 2000. Very few may be from the 2001 batch. I have some friends from the first half of 2001 who have undergone their medicals and are now waiting for their passport request. Don't worry, you are still in the timeline; it's just fortunate for some 2001 applicants whose papers are now in progress.

I encourage you to check on the status of your application either through fax or drop box. Just remember to word your letter in a very respectful tone and avoid pressuring them for a response.

We applied in August 2001 and made a follow up last November 2004. God has been so good and the visa officer so nice to respond with a request for updated documents last December 2004. From thereon, our wait is now for the much coveted passport request. We truly hope and pray that it comes soon.

A friend followed this advice and "dropped" a status update letter last December. In three weeks (please remember that there was the long holiday break in December), they received a notice for interview for March.

Actually, they also entertain inquiries in the embassy itself. You just have to get there real early because they accommodate only 25 persons per day. But I recommend a letter whether faxed or "dropped in."

It seems that with these stories (including centauri's), follow up has done a lot of good for us. But as you said, we still leave it up to the officer's discretion to reply because they may opt to do so or not.

I wish you good luck and God's guidance. Don't worry, it will come soon. As I said, you're still in the timeline.

Please keep us posted. Continue to pray and trust in Him. Miracles do happen.

For everyone who has received his/her passport request or visa - in Manila or elsewhere - A BIG CONGRATULATIONS AND WISHING YOU THE BEST IN CANADA!

Last edited by Inah; Feb 18th 2005 at 2:42 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Inah
Hello, Samm,

After everything that's happened in recent years, I believe that the Canadian Embassy in Manila has become more understanding about applicants checking their status.

I also read in another forum about an applicant who sent a fax asking for an update. He said that if your application has reached its 40th month (and of course a year after the IRPA update in 2003), it is alright to seek a status.

So far, almost every Manila applicant who has been asked for their passports in this forum is from batch 2000. Very few may be from the 2001 batch. I have some friends from the first half of 2001 who have undergone their medicals and are now waiting for their passport request. Don't worry, you are still in the timeline; it's just fortunate for some 2001 applicants whose papers are now in progress.

I encourage you to check on the status of your application either through fax or drop box. Just remember to word your letter in a very respectful tone and avoid pressuring them for a response.

We applied in August 2001 and made a follow up last November 2004. God has been so good and the visa officer so nice to respond with a request for updated documents last December 2004. From thereon, our wait is now for the much coveted passport request. We truly hope and pray that it comes soon.

A friend followed this advice and "dropped" a status update letter last December. In three weeks (please remember that there was the long holiday break in December), they received a notice for interview for March.

Actually, they also entertain inquiries in the embassy itself. You just have to get there real early because they accommodate only 25 persons per day. But I recommend a letter whether faxed or "dropped in."

It seems that with these stories (including centauri's), follow up has done a lot of good for us. But as you said, we still leave it up to the officer's discretion to reply because they may opt to do so or not.

I wish you good luck and God's guidance. Don't worry, it will come soon. As I said, you're still in the timeline.

Please keep us posted. Continue to pray and trust in Him. Miracles do happen.

For everyone who has received his/her passport request or visa - in Manila or elsewhere - A BIG CONGRATULATIONS AND WISHING YOU THE BEST IN CANADA!
Hi Inah,

Thanks for the very encouraging and informative response, I really appreciate it as it gives me hope . I will try to compose a follow-up letter, and yes, I have to be very careful with my tone as this could make or break my application.

Anyway, I will keep you posted. Thanks again and have a nice day.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi Inah,

Thanks for the very encouraging and informative response, I really appreciate it as it gives me hope . I will try to compose a follow-up letter, and yes, I have to be very careful with my tone as this could make or break my application.

Anyway, I will keep you posted. Thanks again and have a nice day.
Dear Samm,

Good luck! I pray that you get a favorable response.

If you'll notice, mcdo did not do any follow up but her updating their family status has helped bring up their family's file. There are so many files being processed now for the pre-2002 applicants especially before the rasolzadeh case deadline (for opt out or not) comes. Sa palagay ko, nakakatulong ang kaunting kumusta para masilip at mabigyan ng pansin ang papeles natin.

I'll keep checking for a good news from you

God bless,
Inah
Old Feb 20th 2005, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Inah
Dear Samm,

Good luck! I pray that you get a favorable response.

If you'll notice, mcdo did not do any follow up but her updating their family status has helped bring up their family's file. There are so many files being processed now for the pre-2002 applicants especially before the rasolzadeh case deadline (for opt out or not) comes. Sa palagay ko, nakakatulong ang kaunting kumusta para masilip at mabigyan ng pansin ang papeles natin.

I'll keep checking for a good news from you

God bless,
Inah
Thanks Inah!

I was going through all the letters I received from the Embassy since I filed my application to determine how to go about writing that follow-up letter.

AOR was received Jan 2002 and the letter said that I will be contacted within the next 36 months ... no correspondence during the period.

The second letter came in May 2002; it states that I will be called for interview ... the waiting period for the interview will be approximately 36 months.

My question is: the 36-month waiting period for the interview started in May 2002? If this is correct, the 36 months will still be in May 2005? Otherwise, if I started counting Jan 2002, it has been 37 months so I can be justified for a follow-up? Any thoughts, please?

I was just thinking I should have a basis like Centauri in following up my application. I can't afford to jeopardize my application at this point.

Thanks.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Inah!

I was going through all the letters I received from the Embassy since I filed my application to determine how to go about writing that follow-up letter.

AOR was received Jan 2002 and the letter said that I will be contacted within the next 36 months ... no correspondence during the period.

The second letter came in May 2002; it states that I will be called for interview ... the waiting period for the interview will be approximately 36 months.

My question is: the 36-month waiting period for the interview started in May 2002? If this is correct, the 36 months will still be in May 2005? Otherwise, if I started counting Jan 2002, it has been 37 months so I can be justified for a follow-up? Any thoughts, please?

I was just thinking I should have a basis like Centauri in following up my application. I can't afford to jeopardize my application at this point.

Thanks.
Hi Samm,

I tried to send you a PM while you're online. Maybe you could check it out.

Thanks,
Inah