Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

any ideas how to bump my CRS predicted scores

any ideas how to bump my CRS predicted scores

Old Oct 24th 2020, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Zaij is an unknown quantity at this point
Question any ideas how to bump my CRS predicted scores

Hello all I've been lurking for a few months and found all of the questions and generous answers really useful.

We're hoping to move to Ontario with PR. I've completed the CRS tool and managed to get a score of 461 with both myself and my partner taking the IELTS (which I did but mistakenly took the academic one so have to do it again!) and ticking yes for a valid LMIA job offer.

I've submitted my CV to Indeed and have been offered 5 different roles after completing zoom interviews however they are all contractor/associate roles rather than full time employed jobs - they've all said that my profession is in need and they were confident that I would be able to be fully employed, but it doesn't help in terms of CRS. My NOC/skill code is 4151/A. Without the job offer my score is 411 (I'm 43).
One of the organisations said they might be willing to consider employing me and so I could contact them again and see if that might be possible, but I don't want to pursue that avenue if I don't have to. There's the possibility that a salaried role would be a lot less than I currently earn (and certainly less than the hourly associate rates I've been quoted) and as the main earner of the family this might make moving difficult (we are a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 teens), however it seems like this is my only option given my points. I'm reluctant to come over on a work permit, just because of the uncertainty, lack of health benefits initially and the huge potential disruption if something didn't work out.

I've tried to understand the PNP for Ontario but that also seems as if you would need a job offer, is costly, and I've read of people staying up all night to try and get through, so definitely doesn't seem like a guarantee.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for your time!

Last edited by Zaij; Oct 24th 2020 at 7:06 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Frazzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any ideas how to bump my CRS predicted scores

You seem to have a good understanding of the immigration process. If you have your heart set on Ontario I think you have laid out all your options in your post.

It's a pity that age loses points
Old Oct 25th 2020, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replying Frazzle. Yes, we were fixed on Ontario as my aunt and cousins live there but perhaps I need to widen my search and see what might be possible elsewhere.

In my heart I'm 26 but I guess this a reality check that no, I'm actually 43 👵
Old Oct 25th 2020, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Frazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zaij
Thanks for replying Frazzle. Yes, we were fixed on Ontario as my aunt and cousins live there but perhaps I need to widen my search and see what might be possible elsewhere.

In my heart I'm 26 but I guess this a reality check that no, I'm actually 43 👵
I wish I could be of more help. It does make sense to move closer to family.
I hope you figure something out. I have struggled with losing points from age, I wish you all the best
Old Oct 26th 2020, 9:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to BE.

A few questions if I may - what does your partner do/what is his/her NOC code? And what is his/her and your highest levels of education and CRS score? You mention possibly expanding the search, but I'm thinking of PNP's, would you be happy to consider other provinces and live there for a year or two if it got you PR? Or would you definitely only consider Ontario?

One other thing to mention is that I wouldn't worry about lack of health benefits initially on a TWP, firstly because at the moment the waiting period is waived for OHIP, but also because there are many companies that offer cover for those three months anyway so it's pretty easy to sort - and in any event, even if you went over with PR you'd be in the same situation.

Lastly, can you give us a breakdown of your CRS scores so that we can what you've got in each section and if there is any way of improving them?
Old Oct 27th 2020, 12:10 am
Just Joined

Hello Christmasoompa - thank you for the welcome!

thanks for all your questions and apologies for the very long response.

An update is that two organisations said they would be willing to investigate employing me which is a step forward. I have heard that it's an arduous process for them and costly, so they may well change their minds when they realise this but let's see.

That's really good to know about the work permit/health benefits situation. Are you pretty much guaranteed PR after a year on a TWP, even accounting for being a year older, or are there lots of cases where people have struggled to get this?

I think just because of our sons age (13yr) we have to choose one province as they would hopefully be starting high school if we could get there by next autumn, so I would be reluctant for them to have another move a year later. And proximity to family in Toronto/flights back home and the slightly easier winters are the pull for Ontario specifically, but I might be able to be convinced otherwise!

My partner's NOC is 4152 (A) and he has a bachelors degree but he is 45yrs+. He also has an HND - I'm not sure if that counts but I've assumed not so didn't include it below? My highest qualification is a PhD.

With my partner as lead we score 420 so here are our scores with me as lead - I've assumed yes to a job offer, yes to having a certificate of qualification from the province as I need this anyway, and maxed IELTS scores for us both.

Core/Human capital factors

• Age = 15
  • Level of education = 140
  • Study in Canada = undefined
  • Official Languages = 128
    • First Official Language = 128
    • Second Official Language = 0
  • Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 283

Spouse factors

• Level of education = 8
  • First Official Languages = 0
  • Canadian work experience = 10
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 28

Skill transferability factors

Education

• A) Official Language proficiency and education = 50
  • B) Canadian work experience and education = 0
Subtotal = 50

Foreign work experience

• A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 50
  • B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 0
Subtotal = 50

Certificate of qualification = 50

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 100

Comprehensive Ranking System formula

Subtotal Core/Human capital + Spouse factors + Skill transferability = 421

Provincial nomination = 0

Job offer = 50

Study in Canada = 0

Sibling in Canada = 0

French-language skills = 0

Subtotal Additional points = 50

Grand total = 461
Thanks again!
Old Oct 27th 2020, 12:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I’m sorry to say, but you’ve overestimated your score. 50 points for a certificate of qualification is only relevant to those in trade occupations, and not your NOC so even with a job offer you’d still be at 411.

So if it’s definitely only Ontario you’d consider, a TWP/PNP is realistically going to be your only option as you’re just not scoring enough to get PR now without Canadian work experience.

Fingers crossed for the two potential employers! Good luck.

Old Oct 27th 2020, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Aaah that's such a blow but thank you for pointing that out now Christmasoompa. I will have a search, but if there are any good TWP threads that anyone has come across please let me know

Thanks
Old Oct 27th 2020, 5:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Zaij
Aaah that's such a blow but thank you for pointing that out now Christmasoompa. I will have a search, but if there are any good TWP threads that anyone has come across please let me know

Thanks
Tons of threads probably, a search of the forum will bring lots up. Essentially though, your potential employer will need to apply for a LMIA first. This costs them $1000 and usually takes around 3-4 months, for it to be granted they need to prove that they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. Once you have the LMIA you can then apply for your Temp Work Permit, generally you can apply at the airport when you arrive, but obviously at the mo that's not possible due to Covid restrictions, so you must apply online - add on another 8 weeks or so for that. Maybe by the time you've got the LMIA though, there won't be the same restrictions in place.

Probably the best thing to do is discuss this process with both employers, and hopefully they'll be happy to support your application. You can point them in the direction of the ESDC website for more details - https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...dian-wage.html

Your spouse would get an open work permit for the same duration too, and then once you've worked in Canada for a year or two, you'd hopefully have enough points to apply for PR via EE, or you could look at a PNP application.

HTH, good luck with the potential employers.
Old Nov 1st 2020, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for such a detailed response . One employer has agreed to go through this process which is great, and the other is looking into it but is cautious about the implications of having one employee when all the others on their practice are contractors so are speaking to their lawyers!

I saw on one of your posts in the wiki something about asking employers to go for dual intent LMIA's for work permits and residency, so I have also passed that knowledge on to them both.

Now just to figure out if taking twin teens out of school, across the pond, for what might be just a year or two if we don't get PR is really worth the potential higher salary and the sense of adventure I hope it might bring us all! I'll head over to another thread to figure that one out!! Thanks again