British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Any extra points for having kids? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/any-extra-points-having-kids-608139/)

transatlantic May 9th 2009 1:13 pm

Any extra points for having kids?

I'm in the 120 letter stage, gathering all the bits and bobs to send off.

We seem to have enough points with work experience, education etc. (73), but I was wondering if you get any addional points for having kids? i was under the impression that you did but nothing is on the points calculator. We have 2 boys, one 4 and the other 3 months.

Thanks in advance!

Otis

chumley May 9th 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Any extra points for having kids?

Originally Posted by transatlantic (Post 7556412)

We seem to have enough points with work experience, education etc. (73), but I was wondering if you get any addional points for having kids? i was under the impression that you did but nothing is on the points calculator. We have 2 boys, one 4 and the other 3 months.

Thanks in advance!

Otis

:eek: I would have thought not having kids ie no drain on services would be more beneficial to Canada:lol:

transatlantic May 9th 2009 3:47 pm

That would make sence... unless they like you bringing them so they can mould them into Canadians!

Expat Andy May 9th 2009 9:32 pm

From memory, and it's been four years, you don't get any extra points for having kids.

I guess in the short/medium term they are a drain in terms of child tax benefits, schooling costs etc.

On the flip side, in the long term, the same immigrant kids are going to be contributing as working taxpayers. I've got to stick up for them, I brought two in myself! :D

mandymoochops May 9th 2009 11:58 pm

I'm curious as to what made you think this might be the case.

After all if you look at it logically if someone falls short of points, all they would have to do is bang out a couple of little uns and your away.

Not really promoting the correct reasons to either start or expand your family is it :confused: if you stop and think logically about things for a while .........

joinerboy May 10th 2009 6:53 am

Originally Posted by transatlantic (Post 7556412)

Thanks in advance!

Otis

Hi trans'
If you have 73 points you will be fine provided you've worked it out correctly 67 or 87 makes no odds , as long as you clear entry level .
Regards
Joinerboy

transatlantic May 10th 2009 10:28 am

Oh well I must have imagined it! I've done the points calculator 100 times and still the same answer so it should be ok!

fledermaus May 10th 2009 3:18 pm

No points, but I can see where you are coming from.

One of the reasons behind encouraging immigration is to expand the population of Canada, especially with young people - increasing the workforce in an aging population etc. So you would think that those with children, or those of childbearing age would be more welcomed than those of us who are old, wrinkly and generally useless.

chumley May 10th 2009 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 7558786)
No points, but I can see where you are coming from.

One of the reasons behind encouraging immigration is to expand the population of Canada, especially with young people - increasing the workforce in an aging population etc. So you would think that those with children, or those of childbearing age would be more welcomed than those of us who are old, wrinkly and generally useless.

thats me then old wrinkly and generally useless:lol:

fledermaus May 10th 2009 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by chumley (Post 7558803)
thats me then old wrinkly and generally useless:lol:

next to me you are a smooth, useful, spring chicken.

chumley May 10th 2009 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 7558983)
next to me you are a smooth, useful, spring chicken.

:lol::wub:

JAJ May 14th 2009 4:09 am

I think Quebec give points for children, or at least they used to.

sprucemoose May 14th 2009 6:20 pm

If you have a baby in Canada, then you'll get yourself a Canadian relative. Can you get points that way? :D