Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Any ex-forces-how did you prove contract of employment

Wikiposts

Any ex-forces-how did you prove contract of employment

Old Oct 21st 2010, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any ex-forces-how did you prove contract of employment

Sutton Oak, actually but it's the same road really... (Yep. You got it.)

and yep, back again. Fantastic that you are on the move, Mick - are you on 'linked in'? I expect himself will be looking for you later, as he's on a job hunt, and suddenly very interested in who's working where... especially as his replacement has been nominated for June - makes it a bit more critical!

Ah, old times...
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

qman8166 is on a distinguished road

Debbie

Once I get in and start work, Ill pm you my email addy and we can take it from there.
You got your PR sorted?
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

All landed and carded up - are you landing this time?
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Location: unfortunately Edinburgh, but dreaming of a better life.
woz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant future

Hi Debbie

Am I right in assuming that you now have PR and are living in Ab but o/h is still serving? If so, what will happen with gratuity when it comes through as technically you would be classed as resident for tax purposes and would be taxed on it.

Just wondering as I was thinking about trying to get last 6 months out at Batus but don't think it would work out.

regards

Woz.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Any ex-forces-how did you prove contract of employment

Originally Posted by woz718
Hi Debbie

If so, what will happen with gratuity when it comes through as technically you would be classed as resident for tax purposes and would be taxed on it
I remember this question being flogged to death a couple of years ago and I don't think we ever got a definitive answer. I'm working on the principle that once you've activated your PR and 'established significant links' with Canada (examples: opened a bank account, bought a car, bought a house etc) that's the point that all world-wide income is liable for tax in Canada. To that end, I'll be checking the hole-in-the-wall to make sure my gratuity is banked before I get on the plane.

16. The residence status of an individual is always a question of fact to be determined by taking into account all of the circumstances of the individual. The most important factor in determining whether or not an individual entering Canada becomes resident in Canada for tax purposes is whether or not the individual establishes residential ties with Canada. Generally, the comments found in ¶s 5 to 9 with respect to the residential ties of individuals leaving Canada are equally applicable to individuals entering Canada. As discussed in ¶ 5, an individual's spouse or common-law partner, dependants, and dwelling place, if located in Canada, will almost always constitute significant ties with Canada. In addition, the CCRA considers that where an individual entering Canada applies for and obtains landed immigrant status and provincial health coverage, these ties will usually constitute significant residential ties with Canada. Thus, except in exceptional circumstances, where landed immigrant status and provincial health coverage have been acquired, the individual will be determined to be resident in Canada.
Source: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts...sdncy-eng.html
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Location: unfortunately Edinburgh, but dreaming of a better life.
woz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by joepublic
I'm working on the principle that once you've activated your PR and 'established significant links' with Canada (examples: opened a bank account, bought a car, bought a house etc) that's the point that all world-wide income is liable for tax in Canada.

Source: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts...sdncy-eng.html
Joepublic, this was my assumption too.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

quite - there's no definitive answer... however, none of the folk who have left direct from BATUS have paid Cdn tax on their armed forces gratuity...

or not that we've come across anyway...

There are about another twenty applications in the queue from here at the mo as well, just glad to be out the other side!

We aren't worrying about the tax for the next few months tbh - que sera sera (or however you spell it)

In the new year we'll start asking some sensible tax advisors, and will post our findings as we go. It's a well-worn subject, but as he hasn't even resigned yet, we're ok for the time being.

Knowing my luck he'll decide we need another tour in UK so the question will be null and void anyway.