Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

any advise would be greatly appreciated

any advise would be greatly appreciated

Old Nov 5th 2007, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

spookylady will become famous soon enough
Red face any advise would be greatly appreciated

hi everyone

I'm looking for abit of advise on what happens now if anyone can help

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...66#post5513466

ive attached this link as i didn't want to duplicate a post

thank you to all for reading
Old Nov 5th 2007, 3:15 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any advise would be greatly appreciated

Spookylady, I think it would be helpful if your story and your questions were visible to people who read this thread. So, I've taken the liberty of copying and pasting the contents of your other thread here:

I met my now Canadian husband through a internet site (not a dating one) last July 06 we chatted every day and finally met up November 06 and went on holiday together, we fell in love and decided we had to be together, My husband got a Job in Toronto in January 07 so moved from Goosebay to the city, May 07 i finally decided to go to Canada for a holiday to see what Toronto was all about.

i loved it so much and didnt want to leave but had to leave due to commitments.

30th July 2007 i flew back to Canada with return tickets for the 24th October 2007

Coming through immigration was a nightmare but they eventually allowed me entry as long as i dont work or attend educational institutes and must leave canada by the 31st October 2007 and must furnish proof of compliance on 31st October 2007 3 hours before departure.

they also suggested verbally if i decided to stay to get married then i need to contact a lawyer.

on the 3rd August we got married and the following week we contacted a lawyer (which had been suggested to me by a work collegue)

the lawyer has taken our case on as Spouse in Canada Class at the same time as completing all the forms for PR she also said she will apply for an extended stay and told me not to report to the immigration department at the airport (is this correct?)

all papers (including medical) except marriage certificate and uk criminal check were forwarded to Vegreville CPC by courier on the 22nd October 2007.

can any one tell me what happens next as im clueless and quite worried about the terms of the entry given by the immigration department

all advice would be welcome and thank you for reading
Old Nov 5th 2007, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

awe thank you Judy
Old Nov 5th 2007, 3:53 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Oh God, the internet just "ate" a long message that I'd typed to you. A reminder to type a long message in MS-Word and then paste it into BE's reply box.

First point, if your lawyer has submitted an application for an extension of your visitor status and if she submitted it in time, you have implied authorization to remain in Canada until you hear from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

According to the information that Andrew Miller, who is one of the forum's immigration experts, provided in the thread entitled visitor visa/extending?, it currently is taking CPC Vegreville almost three months to process applications for extensions of visitors' visas.

Being gun shy after losing so much information, I will address the matter of your application for permanent residence in another post.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:06 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

About your application for permanent residence (PR) .......

When your husband's application to sponsor you has been approved and when your own application for PR has received approval in principle (AIP), you will be notified that you may apply for a study permit or an open work permit.

An open work permit will allow you to accept any offer of employment in Canada. This, in turn, will enable you to work, if you want to do so, while you wait for your PR application to grind through the process.

An spousal open work permit (SOWP) provides you with a distinct advantage over most people who apply for temporary work permits. Unlike them, you do not have to wait for a prospective employer to obtain a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC). An LMO is granted only when HRSDC has satisfied itself that the prospective employer has recruited across Canada and has been unsuccessful in attracting a Canadian resident to the job. But you will be free of that obligation.

Then, once you have PR, you in any case will be entitled to work in Canada.

Here is CIC's web page about sponsoring a spouse from inside Canada.

The Document Checklist will enable you to check the completeness of the application that your lawyer submitted.

Page 40 of the Guide entitled Applying for Permanent Residence from Within Canada Spouse or Common-Law Partner In Canada Class is devoted to What Happens Next?

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you Judy

re: extended stay

yes i remember her saying something about a 3 month wait but she inundated us with information and we could not remember if this was the time limit for the PR or the extended stay.

The first immigration officer at the airport scared me to death and said if i did not turn up at the airport on the 31st of October with my return flight details, then he would issue a warrant for my arrest.

ive asked the lawyer a few times about the extended stay and she said do not go to the airport we will apply for a 2 year extension and enclose the information with your PR application.

This was sent by courier on the 22nd October

But now im worried as its after the 31st October

thank you for the PR information your a treasure
im going to read all that now