Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

any advice on using lawyers in canada for emigration from uk?

Wikiposts

any advice on using lawyers in canada for emigration from uk?

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:59 am
skm
Just Joined

skm is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy any advice on using lawyers in canada for emigration from uk?

Hi

I am thinking of emigrating to canada on a skilled worker visa (education/ primary school teaching background) and was wondering if anyone used legal advices from the canada end (rather than uk) to speed up the process. I am sure that I could manage to handle the paperwork myself but as time and brain energy is of the essence, I would rather use the experts - but not get ripped off in the process.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations? I have already paid over 150pounds to a firm in the UK to fill out an eligibility assessment and confirm what I already knew: that I should be able to apply under skilled worker visa. They tell me that processing my application could cost thousands?! Can that be right??
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any advice on using lawyers in canada for emigration from uk?

Originally Posted by skm
Hi

I am thinking of emigrating to canada on a skilled worker visa (education/ primary school teaching background) and was wondering if anyone used legal advices from the canada end (rather than uk) to speed up the process. I am sure that I could manage to handle the paperwork myself but as time and brain energy is of the essence, I would rather use the experts - but not get ripped off in the process.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations? I have already paid over 150pounds to a firm in the UK to fill out an eligibility assessment and confirm what I already knew: that I should be able to apply under skilled worker visa. They tell me that processing my application could cost thousands?! Can that be right??
Hi there, and welcome to BE.

Firstly, are you sure you are eligible as a Skilled Worker? Just that you mentioned teaching at primary school so thought I'd check you came under one of the two teaching professions, Uni Professors or College Lecturers?

Whoever you used to do your assessment, don't go with them - if they're charging you £150 for something any other immigration consultant will do for free, then I'd steer well clear.

Using a consultant won't speed things the process up (although 30% of applications are returned for being incomplete, so I guess using a consultant would stop the risk of that happening and therefore the process taking longer that way). But if you do the forms properly, it won't make it any faster.

However, if you do decide to use a consultant, then firstly make sure that they are licensed by CSIC, and secondly do a search of the Canada forums to see what's been said about them in the past.

As for cost, it will depend on how many of you in your family. For just one of you, the government fees will be $1040, but more if you have a spouse or children on the application as well. Immigration consultant costs will vary, but around $5k is about the norm for a SW application.

Welcome to BE again, and come on over to the Canada forum and join us there.

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions about Canadian Immigration because I'm living in the US. I will move your thread over to our Canada Immigration Forum as this forum is for welcoming new members to BE. Please post all future immigration questions in that forum.

If you click on this link it will direct you to our main Canada forum.

Please shout out if you require any assistance navigating the forums. The moderators for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:40 am
skm
Just Joined

Hi and thanks for such a speedy response!

I agree that I can probably do my own paperwork but due to a hectic home-work life, I am guaranteed to make mistakes and have paperwork being returned. That was my first reason.

However I have just had some BAD news and hit a major hurdle. I just went on another on-line assessment with a firm of Canadian lawyers and they pointed out that my work experience categories do not seem to match eligibility criteria introduced in 2008. It seems that despite achieving the potential points as a skilled worker, Canada is not looking for former primary school teachers with employment project experience and education in museums experience (you know, all that touchy feely social work, engaging demotivated and under represented communities).

Not quite sure whether this is the end of the road. Any advice?

Where is your Canada forum? I have given myself brain ache trawling thru websites all morning. Enough to put anyone off emigrating!
Not quite sure what to do now. No point pursuing a hopeless dream
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:15 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

All the information you need is in the wiki. It is written in plain English by people who have been through the process.

Start here and follow the links:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

Also check this one:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada

and this:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Immigr...ultants-Canada
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:05 am
skm
Just Joined

Thank you. Ready to tackle this after recharging my batteries.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:00 am
FSW Cat 1

amrskipro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skm
Hi and thanks for such a speedy response!

I agree that I can probably do my own paperwork but due to a hectic home-work life, I am guaranteed to make mistakes and have paperwork being returned. That was my first reason.

However I have just had some BAD news and hit a major hurdle. I just went on another on-line assessment with a firm of Canadian lawyers and they pointed out that my work experience categories do not seem to match eligibility criteria introduced in 2008. It seems that despite achieving the potential points as a skilled worker, Canada is not looking for former primary school teachers with employment project experience and education in museums experience (you know, all that touchy feely social work, engaging demotivated and under represented communities).

Not quite sure whether this is the end of the road. Any advice?

Where is your Canada forum? I have given myself brain ache trawling thru websites all morning. Enough to put anyone off emigrating!
Not quite sure what to do now. No point pursuing a hopeless dream

Skm, take a breath and really dig into the detailed descriptions of the 38 NOC codes that are eleigible (obviously discount the ones that do not apply to you) but do not discount those that you think may have some skills that you have undertaken in your empoyment history.

I did not think I was qualified under any of the new NOC categories until I really looked at the detail of the job descriptions and also looked at my own employment experience from a more detached/ skills based point of view.

For example - could you describe your duties as 'community college treacher'? If so would your rpevious employer/s be willing to write you references that reinforce the fact that you used those skills or under took those kinds of duties?

Check out this link for NOC 4131 - College and Other Vocational Instructors.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/....aspx?v=4131.0

The main title can be quite off putting as one thinks University department head etc but when one looks at the descruptions provided and then digs into the details of the eligible job descriptions then it appears that there is a little more latitude.

Consider the minor subjects that you read in your degree as well as your major.

Finally be wary of lawyers and immigration consultants, they generally over charge and can actually do nothing to expedite your application other than making sure that you have not missed any essential details, to be honest a robust check list and triple checking everything with a supportive friend who is a bit of a proof reading wizz can save you thousands.

We used an excellent chap who charges a very modest fee to conduct a final proof read and basic points check (less than C$300) and I am happy to share the details if you wish to direct message me.

I understand exactly where you are, we thought that we had no hope and were waiting in vain for our old style Sep 2007 application to begin processing (still waiting for that one) and luckily a change of perception on my part meant that we have qualified under the one of the 38 'new' NOC codes and after 8 months of waiting we had our medicals yesterday.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amrskipro
Finally be wary of lawyers and immigration consultants, they generally over charge and can actually do nothing to expedite your application other than making sure that you have not missed any essential details, to be honest a robust check list and triple checking everything with a supportive friend who is a bit of a proof reading wizz can save you thousands.

We used an excellent chap who charges a very modest fee to conduct a final proof read and basic points check (less than C$300) and I am happy to share the details if you wish to direct message me.
These paragraphs appear contradictory. Either you found a good, cheap lawyer/immigration consultant (which suggests your first paragraph is false) or you paid someone $300 to proof read documents for you, which is more than I would pay a friend to do likewise.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:54 pm
FSW Cat 1

amrskipro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
These paragraphs appear contradictory. Either you found a good, cheap lawyer/immigration consultant (which suggests your first paragraph is false) or you paid someone $300 to proof read documents for you, which is more than I would pay a friend to do likewise.
I think that 'Most' was the word I used. 'Most' does not apply to the consultant we found - he is truely amazing. The proof reading was done by ourselves. The consultant adds value by having the experience of assessing immigration cases and being able to offer an objective assessment of points and also keeping current with the finer nuances of immigration and more importantly being part of anetwork of immigration consultants that keep data on how long cases are taking.

Last edited by amrskipro; Jun 2nd 2010 at 2:59 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

You may want to do an online assessment on the CIC’s website (the official Canada government immigration website) rather than on consultants’ websites. This would give you the official information.

For Federal Skills Worker category, you need to have experience in one of the listed eligible occupations. The list is at:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list

If you have experience in one of these, you also need at least 67 points. You can assess yourself for points at:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sess/index.asp

Note that the list of eligible occupations is likely to change. Not sure when the changes will happen or what the changes would be.

Keep in mind that the above is not the only route to Canada. If you don’t qualify for the above, you may try another route depending on your personal situation. Provincial nomination, study permit, temporary work, etc.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

slattery is on a distinguished road

for our application i worked out myself from the guidelines that we should be good for the points and used different visa bureaus to confirm that which they did with no charge. i then researched an immigration lawyer in canada but he quoted me about €2500!!! on the advice of the good people here i've proceeded with the application myself to save this cash, its bit painful getting all docs together but i reckoned the cash was better in my pocket.

this company here did a free prelim consultation with me to determine eligibility so might be worth filling in your info on their site and they will then contact you to discuss it and can give you a knowlegeable answer quickly

http://www.visabureau.com/canada/points-test.aspx
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by slattery

this company here did a free prelim consultation with me to determine eligibility so might be worth filling in your info on their site and they will then contact you to discuss it and can give you a knowlegeable answer quickly

http://www.visabureau.com/canada/points-test.aspx
If you browse through past posts here you'll find that this is one of companies to stay away from.....
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amrskipro
I think that 'Most' was the word I used. 'Most' does not apply to the consultant we found - he is truely amazing. The proof reading was done by ourselves. The consultant adds value by having the experience of assessing immigration cases and being able to offer an objective assessment of points and also keeping current with the finer nuances of immigration and more importantly being part of anetwork of immigration consultants that keep data on how long cases are taking.
I have reread your post and cannot find the word "most" in there anywhere.

In light of the fact that you obviously believe that your consultant did a good job and was worth the money you spent, it appears to me that your advice is to shop around until one finds one that is reasonably priced.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 2:45 am
skm
Just Joined

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I feel somewhat uplifted this morning despite the exchange of threads re: use of professionals. It's all good!

I think it is safe to say that we all know our budget and brain power limits. I know that I am so busy in my life outside of this venture that I am in danger of making silly mistakes which would just delay matters hence I would definitely use a professional for a final proof read, if not for the application process itself. My friend who is a great proof reader won't love me too much for burdening her with lots of paperwork to read through regarding the process itself.

I will definitely explore the job titles a bit more now as it's always difficult to find the exact category code when there isn't an exact like for like of uk-canadian job specifications for some of my work experience. I'm sure it is buried in there somewhere but I just need to find it!

Another point- my real reason for having to crack on with this is that my son will be in grade 9 next autumn/fall and as that is the start of high school in canada, I didn't want him to be starting in the middle of an important stage of his life and his studies. However it is clear that if paperwork is unlikely to clear within 2 years then maybe I have to be realistic and consider the impact on a child starting high school in a new country after his fellow students.

Does anybody have any experience of this - or advice?

Thank you all again. I realise that I can expect alot more papework-pain before the gain!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:38 am
Just Joined

rcarter8691 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Just read your post on using lawyers in Canada. Im currently going through the process of emigrating to Canada and im using a company called Siskins. I looked into emigrating and filled in all these forms to see if i was eligidable then i was contacted by a bloke whom works for Siskins over in the Uk based in Manchester. I gave all my information to them so they could assess me and didnt cost me a thing. They said i was eligidable and if i wanted to take things further and use them to do all the paperwork and submit it all info and basically look after my application. I have done so and it has costed me 1000 pound to get the ball rolling and a further 1000 pound upon issue of a visa for permanent residance under the skilled workers class.
If you want to know more then just let me know, but im very impressed with this company and you can ring them any time with questions you have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.