Any advice most welcome

Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

pete72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any advice most welcome

Hope someone can give me some advice from first hand experience.
I live in the UK and have a permanent job offer and positive LMO number to work in the st catharines ON area.
My employer would like me there asap, my question is can i apply for my work permit when i arrive at the airport in Toronto and if so what supporting documents would i need to submit.
I've read quite a few website including cic but they all seem to contradict one and other.

Thanks in advance

Pete
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Any advice most welcome

My occupation is project manager/site supervisor within the construction industry.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

madscots will become famous soon enoughmadscots will become famous soon enough

Hi congrats on job offer. Yes you can apply at Pearson airport for your TWP.
When you get to the immigration desk to show your passport tell them you wish to apply for a work permit and they will tell you where to go, we found it all very easy.
I am on an intra-company transfer so no LMO was needed. I brought my job offer letter and had a letter from my company's solicitors and that was it. They only asked what my job would entail and was given a 3 year TWP, paid $150 and off we went. Took about 10 minutes.
All in very easy, I am also in construction give me a shout if you need any help.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply at point of entry into Canada, unless your intended occupation requires a medical (usually if you will be working in healthcare or with children - I am sure you don't need a medical to work as a PM).

I think you just need your job offer, LMO and relvant qualifications. And your passport and $150 of course.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You can *probably* apply at POE.

You don't need a medical for your job, so that's great, but you haven't mentioned your nationality - if you're a UK citizen (or citizen of any other country that doesn't require a TRV to enter Canada) then you can apply at POE.

This Wiki article may help - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada

HTH.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can *probably* apply at POE.

You don't need a medical for your job, so that's great, but you haven't mentioned your nationality - if you're a UK citizen (or citizen of any other country that doesn't require a TRV to enter Canada) then you can apply at POE.

This Wiki article may help - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada

HTH.
Sorry forgot to mention I'm a British citizen,it's just there's nothing crystal clear on any of the official web sites and when it gives you a link it goes to everything else other than your looking for.
Is it also possible to get an open visa to enable me to travel back to the UK every couple of months as my wife and kids are staying in the UK until I can organise accommodation etc

Thanks for the information so far.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 10:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete72
Sorry forgot to mention I'm a British citizen,it's just there's nothing crystal clear on any of the official web sites
Yes there is - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../work-temp.asp. See down the bottom about applying at POE.

And your TWP will allow you to come and go from Canada freely.

HTH.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

and you must produce the offer of employment and other necessary papers when you arrive. Remember that you must find out what papers you will need before arriving in Canada. Check with a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate.this is from the link you provided.
The bit which states You must find out what papers you will need before arriving in Canada I checked with the above agency's and none of the above could give me a definitive a answer
Old Dec 29th 2012, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

The exact info you need at the border depends on your circumstances. Mine like madscots above was an intracompany transfer so a bit different than an LMO. However we just turned up with everything we thought we might need in a big envelope!

I had my signed job offer, my CV, my current and future role profile descriptions, info about the company I work for. My marriage cert so that my hubby could get his open work permit too (we were both there) Business cards for myself and the HR manager in my new role. Passports. You will need your LMO letter.

You do not need passport photo's or a police clearance cert if you apply at POE.

We just handed the guy the envelope and he found what he needed. Very quick easy painless and simple, despite me getting my knickers in a twist worrying about it in advance!

Good luck! and congrats on the new job!
Old Jan 1st 2013, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Aatjjj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi pete were in same situation as you ...maybe a month or so behind as were not going till later in the new year, i sent you a private message, our kids are similar ages too.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aatjjj
Hi pete were in same situation as you ...maybe a month or so behind as were not going till later in the new year, i sent you a private message, our kids are similar ages too.
Hi all just a quick update arrived in Toronto on Monday wanting my TWV at port of entry gave the immigration officer the positive LMO letter and he gave me my visa for 5 years all done in less than 10 mins.

Last edited by pete72; Jan 9th 2013 at 10:36 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 10th 2013, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

wow 5 years...didnt know they issued them for that long, congrats
Old Jan 10th 2013, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aatjjj
wow 5 years...didnt know they issued them for that long, congrats
The work duration in the LMO is the time frame of work that the employer has requested and to which HRSDC has agreed.
Not all TWPs are issued for 5 years in fact those are rare normally 3 years is the timeframe.
Page 89 of this manual
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for th link intresting, will have to ask how long the timeframe that HRSDC has agreed to for hubbys LMO is.

I had only heard of 2- 3 years from my reading about TWP, 5 years would be great.