Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Another stupid 'goods to follow' question

Wikiposts

Another stupid 'goods to follow' question

Old Oct 19th 2004, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Another stupid 'goods to follow' question

I'm packing at the mo, getting ready to head out to Vancouver in December but have a question about how detailed a 'goods to follow' list should be. I know I'm probably asking a common (or stupid) question, but what the hell. I only have a small amount of stuff, such as:

1. A box of University papers and documents, and photocopies of academic journal articles. How do I work out the value of this? Is it nil or do I make up a nice round figure for the paper (and the ink in the pens I used to write with )? Can I just put "1 box of University Papers and Documents, value NIL". Or do I need to put "500 photocopied journal articles"?

2. A box of books. Can I just put "A box of 30 books, value $500" or does it need more detail? Hardback, softback? Surely I don't need to list each book? Do I calculate value on RRP or second hand used value. Shall i just make up a nice round figure of $500??

3. For other personal possessions, eg photos, cuddly toys, clothes, cd's. dvd's etc, how do I work out the value?? For a box of this stuff, do I put "1 box of personal possessions, value $1000", or do I need to put "100 cd's, value "$500", "25 DVD's, value $250".

Any other tips or "things not to do" when making a goods to follow list?

Also, although it's 'goods to follow', it's all going to be shipped before we leave, so it will really be a 'goods that have arrived before us' list. Is this okay too?
Old Oct 19th 2004, 2:57 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another stupid 'goods to follow' question

Hi

Originally Posted by Jonny
I'm packing at the mo, getting ready to head out to Vancouver in December but have a question about how detailed a 'goods to follow' list should be. I know I'm probably asking a common (or stupid) question, but what the hell. I only have a small amount of stuff, such as:

1. A box of University papers and documents, and photocopies of academic journal articles. How do I work out the value of this? Is it nil or do I make up a nice round figure for the paper (and the ink in the pens I used to write with )? Can I just put "1 box of University Papers and Documents, value NIL". Or do I need to put "500 photocopied journal articles"?

2. A box of books. Can I just put "A box of 30 books, value $500" or does it need more detail? Hardback, softback? Surely I don't need to list each book? Do I calculate value on RRP or second hand used value. Shall i just make up a nice round figure of $500??

3. For other personal possessions, eg photos, cuddly toys, clothes, cd's. dvd's etc, how do I work out the value?? For a box of this stuff, do I put "1 box of personal possessions, value $1000", or do I need to put "100 cd's, value "$500", "25 DVD's, value $250".

Any other tips or "things not to do" when making a goods to follow list?

Also, although it's 'goods to follow', it's all going to be shipped before we leave, so it will really be a 'goods that have arrived before us' list. Is this okay too?
Your goods to follow list only has to be really specific for expensive items/electronics. Box of assorted papers, nil value, box of used books, just a used value for the items, close is good enough. Customs does not really care about about personal items, as I said before, it is the high value items and new items.

PMM