Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Another Question regarding Temporary Work Permits!!

Wikiposts

Another Question regarding Temporary Work Permits!!

Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Hriley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Question regarding Temporary Work Permits!!

Hi Guys

I have tried to obtain the answer by looking through various web pages, but seem to be more confused the further I research, I therefore apologize in advance if the answer to my question is obvious. I'm an Executive Assistant working for a top 4 international firm of accountants and have done so for over 15 years. I have been advised that I'm not eligible to apply for PR; I'm also British. Will it be near-on impossible for me to successfully apply for TR/Temporary Work Permit? How can I get a job offer without a TWP as I understand I need this to help with my TWP application? Yours confused
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:09 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another Question regarding Temporary Work Permits!!

Originally Posted by Hriley
Hi Guys

I have tried to obtain the answer by looking through various web pages, but seem to be more confused the further I research, I therefore apologize in advance if the answer to my question is obvious. I'm an Executive Assistant working for a top 4 international firm of accountants and have done so for over 15 years. I have been advised that I'm not eligible to apply for PR; I'm also British. Will it be near-on impossible for me to successfully apply for TR/Temporary Work Permit? How can I get a job offer without a TWP as I understand I need this to help with my TWP application? Yours confused
Unless you go with someone like BUNAC, you'll need a job offer, with positive LMO to get a twp.

Once you've got a job, I understand getting PR is relatively plain sailing.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:26 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Hriley, and welcome to the BE forum.

British citizens who are under thirty can get a 12-month working holiday visa through BUNAC. However, if you've been working for 15 years, you're probably over thirty.

I notice that executive assistants are on the list of Occupations under Pressure for British Columbia for British Columbia. To understand the advantage of being in an occupation that is classified as being "under pressure" in a given region of Canada, please read the Wiki article on Occupations Under Pressure.

The next thing I recommend you do is read the Wiki articles on job hunting in Canada.

At this stage I would emphasize the importance of the Finding Job Opportunities article, with even greater emphasis on the link to the Canadian Company Capabilities website.

But do read all the Wiki articles on job hunting in Canada. In fact, read each one of them at least three times.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:43 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hriley
Hi Guys

You will need a job offer to obtain a TWP, unless you decide to go the BUNAC route. I am assuming unfortunately that with 15+ years of experience you will not be eligible on age grounds for BUNAC (for under-30's only)

Best bet is to research job market in various Provinces to ascertain whether your career is one considered 'under-pressure'.

Failing that, depending on how desperate you are to get here, maybe consider some more school and a career change to qualify as a skilled worker?!?!

Bon chance!