Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:29 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
joepublic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Angus, ON
Posts: 223
joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Yes, in the words of Jim'll Fix It......'I've had another letter.'

Having had our medicals back in Jan, some of you may already know that we had an 'additional medical tests' letter requesting sputum tests for Microbacterium Tuberculosis (6-8 weeks to incubate) for me. The results come out of the lab tomorrow and we were looking forward to getting back on track

....STOP!

Today another letter turned up which literally reads as follows:

'[X] Medical Examination. For Amber'

That's the only box that's ticked, there's no explanation or additional info (the line which says 'Please see the enclosed instructions' is actually even crossed out). So, a Medical examination for what? She already had one back in Jan the same day we had ours?

It's fair to say that I was expecting something because she has Asperger's, however, talk about ambiguity! I guess I'll just waste another 2 or 3 days, communicating via a 3rd party, in order to find out exactly what they want.

If they want an independent educational psychologists report for example then why not say so, I'm not a bloody mind reader.

Perhaps one of you educated folk might know?
joepublic is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:33 am
  #2  
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,609
AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Originally Posted by joepublic
Yes, in the words of Jim'll Fix It......'I've had another letter.'

Having had our medicals back in Jan, some of you may already know that we had an 'additional medical tests' letter requesting sputum tests for Microbacterium Tuberculosis (6-8 weeks to incubate) for me. The results come out of the lab tomorrow and we were looking forward to getting back on track

....STOP!

Today another letter turned up which literally reads as follows:

'[X] Medical Examination. For Amber'

That's the only box that's ticked, there's no explanation or additional info (the line which says 'Please see the enclosed instructions' is actually even crossed out). So, a Medical examination for what? She already had one back in Jan the same day we had ours?

It's fair to say that I was expecting something because she has Asperger's, however, talk about ambiguity! I guess I'll just waste another 2 or 3 days, communicating via a 3rd party, in order to find out exactly what they want.

If they want an independent educational psychologists report for example then why not say so, I'm not a bloody mind reader.

Perhaps one of you educated folk might know?
Hmm one's first reaction would be that they perhaps did not receive her original medical results? Good luck with finding out what the heck they want - they waste so much time not giving clear instructions.
AmyDavid is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:01 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
joepublic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Angus, ON
Posts: 223
joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Hmm one's first reaction would be that they perhaps did not receive her original medical results? Good luck with finding out what the heck they want - they waste so much time not giving clear instructions.
Agreed, but they were sent with ours in the same envelope?
joepublic is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:04 am
  #4  
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,609
AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Originally Posted by joepublic
Agreed, but they were sent with ours in the same envelope?
Are you doing this yourself or do you have an agent dealing?

If I were you, I would call this number - 02072586538 - and leave an urgent message asking them to call you back letting you know what they are actually asking for.

I am assuming you are using the London CIC office.

AmyDavid is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:14 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
joepublic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Angus, ON
Posts: 223
joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Are you doing this yourself or do you have an agent dealing?

If I were you, I would call this number - 02072586538 - and leave an urgent message asking them to call you back letting you know what they are actually asking for.

I am assuming you are using the London CIC office.

Yes, Shanks' pony all the way.

I called the number and left a message, I guess we now wait and see .

Thanks very much for your help

Last edited by joepublic; Jun 7th 2010 at 1:46 am.
joepublic is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:22 am
  #6  
Purpe80 in another life..
 
Clematis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 665
Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Good luck, it really would help peoples stress levels if they were clear about things!
Clematis is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:03 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
joepublic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Angus, ON
Posts: 223
joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Are you doing this yourself or do you have an agent dealing?

If I were you, I would call this number - 02072586538 - and leave an urgent message asking them to call you back letting you know what they are actually asking for.

I am assuming you are using the London CIC office.

Just had the following response from my Case Specific email; can't say it's filled me with confidence bearing in mind it would have been the medical section making the request in the first place. I can see this turning into a nightmare...



We will advise our medical section that the results for Amber have been provided and request that they look into this.



When your own results are received they will be placed in a queue awaiting review.

There are no other outstanding items.



MCH
Immigration and Medical Services Division
High Commission of Canada
38 Grosvenor Street
LondonW1K 4AA, United Kingdom




joepublic is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:11 am
  #8  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,284
fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Originally Posted by joepublic
Just had the following response from my Case Specific email; can't say it's filled me with confidence bearing in mind it would have been the medical section making the request in the first place. I can see this turning into a nightmare...


Like anyone else CIC loses things and/or makes mistakes. They 'lost' our police checks but found them again when we said that they already had them so they probably do have those results somewhere. They just need to look at them now....
fledermaus is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:24 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 390
raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all
Default Re: Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

So very annoying. Hope you hear back soon for the message you left. Such an unnecessary stress.

Ray
raymasa is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 9:09 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
joepublic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Angus, ON
Posts: 223
joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Like anyone else CIC loses things and/or makes mistakes. They 'lost' our police checks but found them again when we said that they already had them so they probably do have those results somewhere. They just need to look at them now....
Beginning to think you might be right. I've just checked our original family medical request letter against the follow up letter I received ref my sputum tests - they're completely different formats.

The letter we received today requesting the Medical Exam for our daughter is exactly the same as our original family medical request letter.

Conclusion - CiC must have 'misplaced' our daughter's medical results

........and the hits just keep on coming!
joepublic is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 9:36 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
LinsyPinsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Morgan Crossing, BC
Posts: 1,045
LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Originally Posted by joepublic
Beginning to think you might be right. I've just checked our original family medical request letter against the follow up letter I received ref my sputum tests - they're completely different formats.

The letter we received today requesting the Medical Exam for our daughter is exactly the same as our original family medical request letter.

Conclusion - CiC must have 'misplaced' our daughter's medical results

........and the hits just keep on coming!
Hope it all comes good for you and yours. Keep us updated cos as you know our wee lad has aspergers too but we are not at meds stage yet. You mentoined an independent ed psych report....did you have an original report for the meds but feel you need it backed up with an additional report?

All the best of luck JP

lns
LinsyPinsy is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 9:56 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
joepublic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Angus, ON
Posts: 223
joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
You mentoined an independent ed psych report....did you have an original report for the meds but feel you need it backed up with an additional report?
We anticipated that because of Amber's Asperger's she'd be a prime candidate for an 'excessive demand' assessment and a subsequent "procedural fairness' letter.

We wanted to save any unnecessary time wasting (the bloody irony considering what's occurred since), so we gave the DMP copies of everything we had, i.e. her statement, educational psychologists report, paediatricians report and speech & language report. We figured that the more CiC had up front the easier it would be to make their decision and the less likely they'd need to pester us for additional info (again, to avoid delays).

I know that in cases like ours CiC sometimes ask for extra 'independent' reports in order to add a 'second opinion' objectivity to their assessment.
joepublic is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:01 am
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
LinsyPinsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Morgan Crossing, BC
Posts: 1,045
LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Originally Posted by joepublic
We anticipated that because of Amber's Asperger's she'd be a prime candidate for an 'excessive demand' assessment and a subsequent "procedural fairness' letter.

We wanted to save any unnecessary time wasting (the bloody irony considering what's occurred since), so we gave the DMP copies of everything we had, i.e. her statement, educational psychologists report, paediatricians report and speech & language report. We figured that the more CiC had up front the easier it would be to make their decision and the less likely they'd need to pester us for additional info (again, to avoid delays).

I know that in cases like ours CiC sometimes ask for extra 'independent' reports in order to add a 'second opinion' objectivity to their assessment.
You wonder if we were to just breeze in with no 'supporting docs' and just say that they dont need much/any intervention would that cause less concern?
Difficult to judge what to do....damned if you do..damned if you don't!

All the best

lns
LinsyPinsy is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:16 am
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 660
debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Pete, I suspect Amber's stuff has gone to Ottawa for review, which is why they can't find it

Patience is a virtue

As you know, we had a few glitches, but fingers crossed - it will all work out in the end.

Thinking of you all!

Dx
debbiem is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:54 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
joepublic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Angus, ON
Posts: 223
joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another 'Medical Examination' for what?

Originally Posted by debbiem
Pete, I suspect Amber's stuff has gone to Ottawa for review, which is why they can't find it
Wise words Debbie, I think you might be right . Hope the AAA beef and prairie is treating you well.

Last edited by joepublic; Jun 8th 2010 at 12:03 am.
joepublic is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.