Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Another landing query & a little about being in BC now!

Another landing query & a little about being in BC now!

Old May 19th 2012, 7:06 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of
Question Another landing query & a little about being in BC now!

Hi,

Me and husband are currently in BC on our hols & after this, having our landing and emigration are booked for September.

However since we have been here, husb's employer wants him to start earlier than September so he will likely be coming back in June and will activate his visa then.

My query is about the goods to follow list, will he just have his goods list with him concerning his possessions in his suitcase and would I be responsible for the GTF list in September, concerning our container which will arrive some weeks after us?

By the way, even though we've spent quite a bit of time in BC on holidays, while the application was going through, I can't believe how differently you look at things, knowing you'll be living here in a few months. It's SO useful for contacts, opening accounts, making friends, contacts and also finding somewhere to live, which we've done!

Katie
Old May 19th 2012, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another landing query & a little about being in BC now!

It will be easier if you have the goods to follow list when you arrive. Have him explain to CBSA on landing that there will be GTF but being brought in by you. No good making a list now just in case you bin stuff or decide not to bring it.
Are you on TWPs or actually becoming PRs? Post seems to suggest PR.
Old May 20th 2012, 3:16 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It will be easier if you have the goods to follow list when you arrive. Have him explain to CBSA on landing that there will be GTF but being brought in by you. No good making a list now just in case you bin stuff or decide not to bring it.
Are you on TWPs or actually becoming PRs? Post seems to suggest PR.
Hiya, we will become PR's.
Does that change anything or do you still suggest the same? I'm still a bit twitchy after our last experience at Vancouver when we landed as tourists and they were going to have us activating our visas, until the last minute.
Katie
Old May 21st 2012, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misskatpaw
Hiya, we will become PR's.
Does that change anything or do you still suggest the same? I'm still a bit twitchy after our last experience at Vancouver when we landed as tourists and they were going to have us activating our visas, until the last minute.
Katie
I still suggest the same here is the link for settlers goods.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-2-1-eng.pdf
Get him to tell CBSA that rest of the family will be landing later and they have the GTF list.
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Taguntumi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We landed a couple of years ago and moved to Vancouver permanently last month. Going through customs I tried to present the customs officer with the goods to follow list as advised on here and he wasn't interested in the accompanying or following list.

Last week our container arrived and I went to the customs office downtown on Dunsmuir Street and the guy there was equally chilled about the goods to follow list. He had a quick look at it and then asked if there was any alcohol or tobacco in it and when I said there wasn't he just stamped it, no big deal.

The whole process was painless. Goods were delivered the next day.

Good luck with the move.

Ian

PS. One, wish I had brought piece of advice. Electrical multiplug extensions as well as UK/Canada adaptors - doh - don't need an adaptor for every plug when you have multiplug extensions.
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:05 am
Just Joined

PS. misskatpaw if we can help let me know, we have just been through 5 weeks of minor issues but seem to be making good progress.

Nearly as nice as Yorkshire here..
Old May 23rd 2012, 3:35 am
Outsyder Adventurer

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I still suggest the same here is the link for settlers goods.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-2-1-eng.pdf
Get him to tell CBSA that rest of the family will be landing later and they have the GTF list.
Thanks very much, great help as usual
Old May 23rd 2012, 3:40 am
Outsyder Adventurer

Originally Posted by Taguntumi
Hi

We landed a couple of years ago and moved to Vancouver permanently last month. Going through customs I tried to present the customs officer with the goods to follow list as advised on here and he wasn't interested in the accompanying or following list.

Last week our container arrived and I went to the customs office downtown on Dunsmuir Street and the guy there was equally chilled about the goods to follow list. He had a quick look at it and then asked if there was any alcohol or tobacco in it and when I said there wasn't he just stamped it, no big deal.

The whole process was painless. Goods were delivered the next day.

Good luck with the move.

Ian

PS. One, wish I had brought piece of advice. Electrical multiplug extensions as well as UK/Canada adaptors - doh - don't need an adaptor for every plug when you have multiplug extensions.
Originally Posted by Taguntumi
PS. misskatpaw if we can help let me know, we have just been through 5 weeks of minor issues but seem to be making good progress.

Nearly as nice as Yorkshire here..
Hiya Taguntumi,

Thanks very much for your response. It's really good to get tips such as these. You will be finding a PM shortly

Katie
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice

Same offer here:
:-) If you need anything, we are just in North Van (Lonsdale) and will be back at the weekend until the 5th then off to Kelowna for a week.
Old May 23rd 2012, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

North Van as well 14th Street West.