Another annoying ETA question

Old Sep 17th 2016, 1:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another annoying ETA question

Originally Posted by Shirtback
How on EARTH did you manage that?!
I just "did as I was told" following my wife's "advice"

Do you mean you got a "certificat de naissance" from L'√Čtat civil"? I didn't think that was possible for a non-CDN citizen born abroad....
I just compared mine to the others. Theirs are in French and that's what theirs say, mine's in English and says certificate of birth.

I did notice one other difference...theirs say certificate conforme (or something like it...I put them away again) while mine has semi-authentic act instead.

I'm only half real.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Tell him to apply for a Canadian passport for the son and see what replies he gets
Already did, a while ago. I've stopped banging my head on that particular brick wall.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I just compared mine to the others. Theirs are in French and that's what theirs say, mine's in English and says certificate of birth.

I did notice one other difference...theirs say certificate conforme (or something like it...I put them away again) while mine has semi-authentic act instead.

I'm only half real.

Good Heavens! I'm almost tempted to try to get one, just for lols.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

And then his kid will grow up thinking he's a Canadian citizen, maybe try and move back to the UK one day and then realise he has no immigration status in Canada if he wants to come back.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I'm only half real.

I just got my Maltese birth certificate in the mail.... It is on the biggest possible paper. Only Maltese citizens (born abroad or in Malta) can get Maltese b/c's so its easy to denote that. Its basically just a certificate referencing my Ontario birth certificate that I surrendered to them to be registered in the Public Registry. Annoyingly, they take that copy of your original birth certificate and leave it in the public registry, so I had to apply for a replacement Ontario birth certificate, as well as the Maltese proof of registration.

I needed the birth registration to get a passport / ID card and the proof of registration so they don't take my Ontario one again when I go to renew either.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 2:43 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit

I needed the birth registration to get a passport / ID card and the proof of registration so they don't take my Ontario one again when I go to renew either.
Just remember that with a driving licence you will lose one of them if you decide to transfer i.e. Ontario to Malta.

I lost my UK licence status as in Canada its illegal to hold more then one dirving licence. Chances are in Malta when you transfer your Ontario licence will be invalid
Old Sep 20th 2016, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Just remember that with a driving licence you will lose one of them if you decide to transfer i.e. Ontario to Malta.

I lost my UK licence status as in Canada its illegal to hold more then one dirving licence. Chances are in Malta when you transfer your Ontario licence will be invalid
its illegal ? Sure you exchange one for the other but if you want a replacement UK one just apply to the DVLA in the UK to get a new one which if you ever go back you may well need as doubt you will ever see the original again. Of course this plan fails if you dont have a UK address even temporary for the replacement. Granted though should always use a Canadian licence not a UK one thats the legal part not i think having a UK one that you dont use.

Last edited by PB65; Sep 20th 2016 at 3:26 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 4:16 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PB65
its illegal ? Sure you exchange one for the other but if you want a replacement UK one just apply to the DVLA in the UK to get a new one which if you ever go back you may well need as doubt you will ever see the original again. Of course this plan fails if you dont have a UK address even temporary for the replacement. Granted though should always use a Canadian licence not a UK one thats the legal part not i think having a UK one that you dont use.
Well here the thing - when I enter my UK driving license on direct gov.uk it says its not valid so its illegal for me to use that license in the UK, I still have a copy of my photocard (as I knew that I would have to give it up to ICBC) which is useful for ID purposes.

If I was to lose my UK license and apply for a replacement, I'm sure they would say no and want my BC license to order to get my UK one back
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Malta doesn't exchange non-EU, non-Aus licenses So i'm stuck re-doing the test in Malta. Then I will have 2 licenses, I don't care what Ontario thinks it was a PITA to get the license I will keep it. Then just use the ON one when in Can/US and the EU/Malta one when in the EU.

If you move back to the UK you will get your full UK license back if you ask for it thru DVLA, not the pesky auto-only license they normally give you. (Unless you had an auto only license to begin with) You would have to give up your BC one for this.

The ID card I got in Malta is just identification. It serves as a catchall from identification to health care to right to vote etc. No driving privileges on it though. That isn't till 18 there and unlike Canada they have separate identification than DL's. Your DL isn't valid as ID anywhere there, you need the identity card.

LOL, the things you learn when you get dual nationality
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

And then his kid will grow up thinking he's a Canadian citizen, maybe try and move back to the UK one day and then realise he has no immigration status in Canada if he wants to come back.
France, actually, but otherwise yes. It's a right clusterf**k - but as I said, I've given up trying to explain .
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:19 pm
Bex in the city

If you move back to the UK you will get your full UK license back if you ask for it thru DVLA, not the pesky auto-only license they normally give you. (Unless you had an auto only license to begin with) You would have to give up your BC one for this.

LOL, the things you learn when you get dual nationality
Nope I passed my test in a manual so I would get that back ( I kept copies of my pass certificate from driving test) but it is not my plant o return to the UK. It just would have been nice to keep both valid.

If I was given $1 for everytime you used the word 'dual nationality' on here, I could have retired by now
Old Sep 20th 2016, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nope I passed my test in a manual so I would get that back ( I kept copies of my pass certificate from driving test) but it is not my plant o return to the UK. It just would have been nice to keep both valid.

If I was given $1 for everytime you used the word 'dual nationality' on here, I could have retired by now
Yep exactly... I am with you, it will be nice to have both. I am just not fancying having to do another learners permit / road test rigamarole. Especially at the age of 21/22.

Old Sep 21st 2016, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

If I was to lose my UK license and apply for a replacement, I'm sure they would say no and want my BC license to order to get my UK one back
Yep - I had no intention of holding two licences, but wanted to keep my BC one as a souvenir when it expired (irritated that I didn't realise, I could have just got a near-identical 'BC card' while I was out there simply absent the words 'driving licence'), so tried going the replacement route with DVLA once the BC card was within a week of validity, they advised there was a note on my file that it had been exchanged, so the only way to get a UK one was to exchange it back.

You've gone belt-and-braces but shouldn't need the copy of test pass & everything. If you ever come back, it's one page of a D1 form, enter your existing UK driver number and your old file is re-activated, so they already have their own proof of your manual entitlement. Were it not for the UK flag they added last year I wouldn't be able to tell my new UK licence from the one I surrendered in BC.