Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Annual leave in Canada.Only 2 weeks????

Annual leave in Canada.Only 2 weeks????

Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:49 am
Just Joined

aledscave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Annual leave in Canada.Only 2 weeks????

Am deciding on whether to apply to Australia or Canada for permanent residency (hopefully one of them will take me). I have read several sources lately that the majority of Canadian workers only receive 2 weeks annual paid holiday leave. Can anyone confirm this. It may seem a trivial issue for some, but with a young son, this would really sway my decision towards Australia.

Thanks in advance.

Aled.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

SuzH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Annual leave in Canada.Only 2 weeks????

For my company we get 20 days paid time off per year, this includes any sick days you may have and includes any time off over Christmas (except statutory days, Christmas Day / New Years Day only in BC). When I started I had zero days and I accrue 13.3 hours a month and can only take paid time off once I have built up enough days. 20 days is quite generous, 10 days a year (usually + 5 for sick days which you may be able to take for holiday if you haven't been off sick) is quite usual amongst a lot of my friends.

Also, here in BC we get one more public holiday a year than in England.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

It really is so variable. Tight Wad US software company that I work for in Calgary gives 15 + 3 days plus the statutory holiday. So not really that bad, just a shock comming from 25 in the UK. On the plus side the oil services company that I'm thinking of moving to gives 25 days. On the minus side I have heard of some companies, especially smaller ones offering only two weeks to begin with.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:15 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

For most bog standard entry level positions two weeks is the norm. It also happens to be the legal minimum. Coincidence?

Better paid executive / senior positions, and some fields like the media, healthcare, teaching etc get more as standard, but for most of the unwashed masses who havent spent 5 or more years with an employer or have specific skills that make for a better bargaining position during employment negotiations, 2 weeks is the norm.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:44 am
Just Joined

aledscave is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your confirmation of this. Much Appreciated.

Regards,

Aled
Old Oct 25th 2005, 11:49 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

An as per recent survey mora than half of working Canadians don't take their paid vacation time off at all. We are just addicted to work...

Originally Posted by aledscave
Thank you all for your confirmation of this. Much Appreciated.

Regards,

Aled
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:20 pm
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
An as per recent survey mora than half of working Canadians don't take their paid vacation time off at all. We are just addicted to work...
Do you thing that this is because people don't want vacations? Do you think there is any pressure (either implied or explicit) on employees from employers not to take vacation time? Being an Aussie it is a foreign concept to me not to make good use of this time.

Incidentally there is something else that I have been wondering about. Does vacation time accumulate if you don't use them each year? Here in Australia if you don't take them one year they get added to the following year. At the moment I think I have about 7 weeks owed to me. I'm using this as a bit of a nest-egg for when I leave.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzRob
Do you thing that this is because people don't want vacations? Do you think there is any pressure (either implied or explicit) on employees from employers not to take vacation time? Being an Aussie it is a foreign concept to me not to make good use of this time.
I dont think so, but I'm not sure. You get so used to not having vacation that you just dont use it, or you "save a few days for Xmas" and then end up getting them as floaters anyway and are left wishing you had taken a few more days around the long summer weekends.
Incidentally there is something else that I have been wondering about. Does vacation time accumulate if you don't use them each year? Here in Australia if you don't take them one year they get added to the following year. At the moment I think I have about 7 weeks owed to me. I'm using this as a bit of a nest-egg for when I leave.
Nope, if you dont use it you either lose it (on a regular salary arangement) or it is automatically paid out annualy (if you are on a % deduction "holiday pay" arrangement). It seems you cant bank it and bank it for years at a time. Probably varies to some extent from employer to employer though.

Holiday pay is a bizzare idea, you work five or ten years for a company to get the extra weeks holiday, and as a direct result your take home pay goes down as instead of deducting 4% holiday pay, they deduct 6% into your holiday account. Thanks a bunch!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:07 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont think so, but I'm not sure. You get so used to not having vacation that you just dont use it, or you "save a few days for Xmas" and then end up getting them as floaters anyway and are left wishing you had taken a few more days around the long summer weekends.

Nope, if you dont use it you either lose it (on a regular salary arangement) or it is automatically paid out annualy (if you are on a % deduction "holiday pay" arrangement). It seems you cant bank it and bank it for years at a time. Probably varies to some extent from employer to employer though.

Holiday pay is a bizzare idea, you work five or ten years for a company to get the extra weeks holiday, and as a direct result your take home pay goes down as instead of deducting 4% holiday pay, they deduct 6% into your holiday account. Thanks a bunch!
So holiday time is not 'paid' as it is for myself in the UK ?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

It varies depending on the on the contract. In my company it is 3 weeks and they accumulate - this dude just returned from almost 2 months of holidays he accumulated. In Alberta, it seems that 3 weeks is a new informal minimum for skilled jobs.

[QUOTE=iaink]

[QUOTE]
Old Oct 26th 2005, 1:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Tangram
So holiday time is not 'paid' as it is for myself in the UK ?
It depends, most "senior" type salaried jobs are like the UK, you get paid normally for the time you take off, and someone somewhere keeps tabs on how many days youve taken.

In my experience here though most lower paid less skilled jobs (often timeclock type ones) use the holiday pay system where 4% (initially, but it goes up as you are entitled to more weeks off) is deducted from every pay to build up your "holiday account" Then when you are on holiday and not clocking in, you are paid from yout holiday account. If you havent been there long enough to build up a weeks holiday pay, you are paid whatever is in the account and no more, so in practice you get two weeks holidays, but you might not be paid a full two weeks money!

This actually happened to me when I worked as a Quality Engineer at a well respected tier1 auto supplier. I took two weeks during the summer plant shutdown (hardly optional!), but as I'd only been working there 6 months I was only paid for one week as thats all the holiday pay I had banked!!! The holiday pay thing is unusual though for salaried skilled employment, but it does happen!