Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Andrew/Jim...is this possible to do? (landing related)

Andrew/Jim...is this possible to do? (landing related)

Old Sep 8th 2005, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Jenna31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Andrew/Jim...is this possible to do? (landing related)

Here's my situation.

Both me and my hubby are currently living with our parents in USA/Canada to save up $.

My husband is currently looking to get us an apartment by Oct 1st.
Is there a way that I can go get my visa stamp in Buffalo, bring my goods to follow list, land (stay for a few days) and then go home for a few weeks to get my stuff ready to bring up for the 1st? Is this allowed?

I was hoping to start the process of getting the SIN and PR card faster than just arriving with everything on Oct 1st and applying.
However, can I get my PR card sent to his parents house if I'm not going to be living there? (Cause we aren't sure what our apartment address will be)
I didn't know if the PR card actually has an address that has to be listed on it.
Also, would Canada let me back in without the PR card? I'm American, (no visa needed to be admitted to Canada) but I guess I would have to have some way to prove I landed?
I don't want to do this if it's going to cause problems or if it's not the proper way. I've come this far, and I don't want to screw anything up.

Can someone shed some light on this? I appreciate the advice.
Thanks!
-Jenna
Old Sep 8th 2005, 3:59 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Andrew/Jim...is this possible to do? (landing related)

Many residing in US do just that - they first come to complete landing process, apply for necessities and then return to US to start packing. Nothing wrong with it, unless you will take more than 3 years to pack...

Your in-laws Canadian address for PR Card is absolutely perfect - once card is received they can FedEx it to you. PR Card doesn't have address on it. It is PR card application that will be completed during landing that requires Canadian address for the sole purpose of mailing card to you.

If you can get to Canadian port of entry then you will be admitted as a PR even without PR card - just make sure to carry your COPR document with you.

Originally Posted by Jenna31
Here's my situation.

Both me and my hubby are currently living with our parents in USA/Canada to save up $.

My husband is currently looking to get us an apartment by Oct 1st.
Is there a way that I can go get my visa stamp in Buffalo, bring my goods to follow list, land (stay for a few days) and then go home for a few weeks to get my stuff ready to bring up for the 1st? Is this allowed?

I was hoping to start the process of getting the SIN and PR card faster than just arriving with everything on Oct 1st and applying.
However, can I get my PR card sent to his parents house if I'm not going to be living there? (Cause we aren't sure what our apartment address will be)
I didn't know if the PR card actually has an address that has to be listed on it.
Also, would Canada let me back in without the PR card? I'm American, (no visa needed to be admitted to Canada) but I guess I would have to have some way to prove I landed?
I don't want to do this if it's going to cause problems or if it's not the proper way. I've come this far, and I don't want to screw anything up.

Can someone shed some light on this? I appreciate the advice.
Thanks!
-Jenna
Old Sep 8th 2005, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

I know I will probably be returning to the border without my PR card, because the time of my landing to the time of my returning will only be about 20 days, and I doubt the PR card would be ready by then.
So all I need to return the second time after landing is the COPR?
This is good news Andrew, thanks for answering all my questions today!!!
-Jenna
Old Sep 8th 2005, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
just make sure to carry your COPR document with you.
You also need to make sure you dont use any commercial carrier. Rental car is considered commercial carrier.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Commercial carrier to land? (I figured that was a no-no)

Or commercial carrier to go across the border after landing, but with no PR card?
But I have to rent a truck to move...as long as I have the COPR why couldn't I come across?

Originally Posted by orazone
You also need to make sure you dont use any commercial carrier. Rental car is considered commercial carrier.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 5:06 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

There will not be a problem with US national even using commercial carrier to return to Canada without PR card.

Originally Posted by orazone