Wikiposts

Ancient criminal record in UK

Old Sep 6th 2009, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Speedysteve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ancient criminal record in UK

Convicted of simple posession ( canabis resin 3grams ) during uni 18 years ago, £100 fine.

Obviously this is now a "spent" conviction as far as the UK is concerned

Have been offered a transfer to Canada by my current employer,
( engineering manager position therefore highly skilled & "management" )

Is this an issue as far as Canadian immigration is concerned ?

Would I have to mention it at all ? I realise USA the answers yes but cant find a definitive answer for Canada.

thanks,

SS
Old Sep 6th 2009, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice
Default Re: Ancient criminal record in UK

As long as the Canadian equivalent of your offence carries a maximum sentence of less than 10 years then there is no issue (check the Canadian criminal code to be sure).

Just declare it on any form that asks.

10 years after the completion of your sentence you are deemed rehabilitated and there is no criminal inadmisibility problem.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

I'm afraid you'll have to 'fess up. You need to provide police certificates for CIC and
this will undoubtedly be on your record. Given the passage of time you might be deemed rehabilitated.
However, you'll need to explain the circumstances and why you're now a reformed character. You might want to read the link below.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/f...issibility.asp
Old Sep 6th 2009, 3:08 am
Kent to (hopefully) Banff

neilrufc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have a possession police caution (stronger than Cannabis). It has not showed up on my Police check - (recieved a NO TRACE). I was honest and declared it on my visa forms but included a letter explaining what happened that day and also what I have achieved in life after the police caution. I also included a copy of my standard Police check only.

Medical request for my Wife was sent a couple of weeks back so looks like it's been formally accepted. If I was inadmissable, so would my Wife (was told both applications to be processed at the same time as we are married).

Just be totally honest!!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Speedysteve is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the responces, so basically should be ok as long as I tell them everything ?

My biggest worry is accepting the post & then being denied entry that would undoubtedly result in loosing both the opportunity & my current UK job.

As when I joined the company ( 2 years ago ) I answered "no" to criminal record, which is technically true as far as a standard UK PNC check is concerned as the conviction is concidered "spent", I know this from 2 previous checks, one in relation to a random stop on my motorcycle where the PC was a nice enough guy & willing to tell me & the 2nd thanks to an "aquaintance" in the business.

so if I was to accept the position does Canadian immigration do any checks themselves or do they accept the standard "non police" search documentation you get when you apply for a CRB check as per the application process ?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

drabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant future

You will be fine. If there is no record then it will show up on the cert as 'No Trace' or if there is a spent conviction 'No Live Trace' If the latter, just explain what the offence was and there will be no problem. That was my experience, at least.

Alanb