Wikiposts

Amor omnia vincit

Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:00 pm
flying_scotsman

Default Amor omnia vincit

Hi folks,

I apologise that this is another "How do I marry a Canadian citizen and get to live with her/him in Canada happily ever after" question. However in this case I think I'm on a hiding to nothing.

I met a Canadian lassie a couple of months ago on the internet and we've since fallen madly head-over-heels in love despite the fact we've still to meet in person. We want to get married and be together, at least to begin with in Canada as my lassie is a mature student over there and needs to complete her studies. Me, I'm in my mid-40's, a UK citizen, and due to a lifetime largely full of volunteering and unpaid charity work would be instantly rejected in my own right as an immigrant.

My current plan is to go over to Canada in November and, if all goes well, we will get married. But how can I stay with my lassie? As a mature student, and thus not in full-time employment, would she actually be accepted as my spousal sponsor? If by luck she were, how long would it be before I could work myself in Canada and support her as I want to, and what process would I have to go through to do so?

Things seem a bit bleak at the moment as I can only envisage us both being able to stay with each other on tourist visas and not being able to be together for that truly happy ending we both seek.

That's it in a nutshell - any advice welcome!

Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amor omnia vincit

I know couples who met online, but the majority of them found that however well they got on in the virtual world, they didn't make it on the real world.

I would suggest a log holiday first (a few months if you can afford it), just to see how you get on.

I can't help much with the immigration advice, but if you do have to prove your commitment to each other, a few weeks after and online relationship doesn't sound as convincing as one that has grown over time.

I hope your dreams do work out....but take it a step at a time.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:42 pm
flying_scotsman

Many thanks destinationnovascotia for taking the trouble to reply to my post and for your common-sense advice. I'm looking forward very much to being with my lassie in November but you're right of course, nothing should be taken for granted and it's always good to take things one step at a time.

Wishing you all the best with your own adventures!

Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:31 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flying_scotsman
Many thanks destinationnovascotia for taking the trouble to reply to my post and for your common-sense advice. I'm looking forward very much to being with my lassie in November but you're right of course, nothing should be taken for granted and it's always good to take things one step at a time.

Wishing you all the best with your own adventures!
Do the Scots still say lassie ?????? All sounds a bit Finlay Currie to me.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:33 am
flying_scotsman

I'll Finlay Currie you!

This Scot certainly does - and I hope that my lassie considers me her "laddie" too. All the best Tangram.

Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:55 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flying_scotsman
I'll Finlay Currie you!

This Scot certainly does - and I hope that my lassie considers me her "laddie" too. All the best Tangram.
And you me little Jock.