American Citizen

Old Sep 8th 2007, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

ScottD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American Citizen

Hi

I am an American citizen who want to immigrate to Canada and live in Vancouver.I love Vancouver and I would like to live there . I am working for an American company and want to keep my job even after I immigrate to Canada . my job is a traveling job where I can live anywhere in US or Canada . my question are

1 - Can I immigrate to Canada and live there and keep my job with my American company ? Does the permanent resident in Canada has an restriction on where they work ? Does it require to work for candian companies only ?

2 - What will be my tax situation in Canada if I live in Canada and work for an American company ? I know the situation in US but I need to know the situation in Canada if I earn my income from US but resident in Canada ?

3 - Please provide me any additional information which could be helpful in my situation

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2007, 2:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Citizen

Originally Posted by ScottD
Hi

I am an American citizen who want to immigrate to Canada and live in Vancouver.I love Vancouver and I would like to live there . I am working for an American company and want to keep my job even after I immigrate to Canada . my job is a traveling job where I can live anywhere in US or Canada . my question are

1 - Can I immigrate to Canada and live there and keep my job with my American company ? Does the permanent resident in Canada has an restriction on where they work ? Does it require to work for candian companies only ?

2 - What will be my tax situation in Canada if I live in Canada and work for an American company ? I know the situation in US but I need to know the situation in Canada if I earn my income from US but resident in Canada ?
1. Yes, but you must first obtain permanent resident status the normal way.

2. You will still need to file U.S. taxes (as an American citizen). And as a Canadian resident, you will need to pay Canadian taxes on your worldwide income too. Foreign income exemptions and foreign tax credits should ensure you don't pay twice.

3. Start at http://www.cic.gc.ca
Old Sep 8th 2007, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

ScottD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Processing Time

Any idea how long does it take to become a permanent resident in Canada for American citizen who file as a skilled worker ? I am going to file from US
Old Sep 9th 2007, 12:28 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Processing Time

Anywhere from 16 to 35+ months, depending mainly from quality and conclusiveness of application package with all supporting evidence (including case and circumstances specific that is not listed anywhere).
Old Sep 9th 2007, 2:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Processing Time

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Anywhere from 16 to 35+ months, depending mainly from quality and conclusiveness of application package with all supporting evidence (including case and circumstances specific that is not listed anywhere).
The NAFTA provisions may allow him to get to Canada more quickly, if he is ok to accept the hassles that go with temporary status.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-business.asp

And if he has a job offer in B.C. then the PNP may be an option:
http://www.ecdev.gov.bc.ca/ProgramsA.../PNP/index.htm

Although neither are likely to work without a local employer.