Am I right to be suspisious???

Old Apr 14th 2006, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Craigyboy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Am I right to be suspisious???

I applied to an agency- Jobs in BC, recruitment & placement agency to the construction & building industry in feb. I paid £150 after i was told my Cv was acceptable because im skilled, they would start looking to find me an employer.
I have recieved a confirmation letter stating that I've been offered a job with Clairmont Mechanical Contracting Ltd in Surry, as a plumber. Subject to the government processing my work permit (which is said to take 6-8 weeks.)
This is all excellent but after reading several threads on the site, everything seems to be happening very easily for me compared to a lot of others. Have I just been very lucky?? Or was it a scam to get my £150.
Would be very grateful if anyone could give me an opinion or any advice!!

Cheers, Craig

PS Sorry about any wrong spelling/grammer. Not my strong point
Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:32 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I right to be suspisious???

Originally Posted by Craigyboy7
I applied to an agency- Jobs in BC, recruitment & placement agency to the construction & building industry in feb. I paid £150 after i was told my Cv was acceptable because im skilled, they would start looking to find me an employer.
I have recieved a confirmation letter stating that I've been offered a job with Clairmont Mechanical Contracting Ltd in Surry, as a plumber. Subject to the government processing my work permit (which is said to take 6-8 weeks.)
This is all excellent but after reading several threads on the site, everything seems to be happening very easily for me compared to a lot of others. Have I just been very lucky?? Or was it a scam to get my £150.

Cheers, Craig

Looking at the link below, I think you may be lucky .. I hope so, anyway ....

http://www.construction-jobs.ca/careers-job.php?id=68

I see this particular advert was placed in 2003 ... so whether your offer is genuine or not is anybodies guess ... they may well be advertising again ..

Last edited by 1066; Apr 14th 2006 at 2:58 am.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

robbudge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1066
Looking at the link below, I think you may be lucky .. I hope so, anyway ....

http://www.construction-jobs.ca/careers-job.php?id=68

I see the advert was placed in 2003 ... so whether your offer is genuine or not is anybodies guess ...

I think you have just beeen lucky. I has just been granted my tempory work visa, after finding myself a job in BC via the internet.

So it does look like you have just paid £150. to an agency to do the job hunting. One way to be sure would be to contact the company in question and ask to discuss with the company you job roles????.

The only fly in the ointment i can see is that plumbing might be a regulated profession, so you will either have to take canadian qualifications or take a step back why you retrain???

It does sound like the company is taking you the same route that i'm going.
You will only be in canada under a tempory visa. While you are there working you can apply for residency.
but until residency is granted you can asked to leave if you loose your job etc.

Hope this helps.
Rob
Old Apr 14th 2006, 6:04 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craigyboy7

Cheers, Craig

You might want to read this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...s+construction

Those of us in BC have...erm...concerns as to the veracity of this bloke's claims.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Craig

Congratulations on the job offer!

As far as I know the British Columbia province recognise UK trade certificates such as CORGI, and you don't need to have them re-certified, unlike the Alberta province. However, they do use a lot of different words over there, but I am sure you will learn all that when you are in the job.

My husband was registered with the same agency but it didn't work out for us. We managed to find work ourselves and are going out on a research trip next month.

The employer (or agency) will be getting government approval of your job offer, this is called a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). Apparently it takes 6-8 weeks, and once approved you can apply for your work permit. If you are married or living with a partner, they can also apply for an open work permit at the same time. This will enable them to work for anyone with few restrictions, this is what I am going to do. Incidentally the company who offered my husband a job has just sent his LMO off for approval to Vancouver, so hopefully we may hear back at the same time. You will have to keep us posted!

In the meantime do as much research as you can on the area you want to move to, and ask to speak to the employer over the phone to confirm everything.

Hope this helps, and keep us posted.

Good luck

Mel