Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Am I elligibile for a visa to Canada?

Wikiposts

Am I elligibile for a visa to Canada?

Old Dec 15th 2010, 2:41 am
Just Joined

knapman47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I elligibile for a visa to Canada?

Hi there,

I am considering a move to Canada, but Im not sure I will be elligible for any visas there and Ive heard its an expensive process to find out. So I am looking for any advice really. Im 22 and have recently finished a degree in business and financial management. I have recently become disgruntled with life in the UK and want to leave before I have any real responsibilities (a job, a girlfriend, a mortgage, etc.) I don't have any experience in working full time for any company, just part time work here and there, that won't count for anything Im sure.

I have an uncle who has lived in Canada for a long time (at least 30 years) and Im sure is a Canadian Citizen. He would be able to sponsor me to move and accommodate me until I have my own means of looking after myself.

Do you think I would be elligible for any particular Visa?

Also, I would consider looking for work before I move, and not live with my uncle, but I just can't see anybody hiring someone who only has a degree and no experience. What can I offer that people in Canada can't? Is there anywhere I should look for jobs? I don't really know where to start.

Any advice would be much appreciated and if you need more information, let me know.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 3:07 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I elligibile for a visa to Canada?

Doesnt cost anything to find out.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tool/index.asp

Its unlikely your uncle can sponsor you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../relatives.asp

Work experience is usually a prerequisite of approval. Get some UK experience, find an eligable job in Canada, Get approval, Move.

Canada isnt so different to the UK anyway, maybe you need to better understand your frustrations with the UK and address them. There are probably cheaper, quicker and easier actions you can take than moving across the Atlantic.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 15th 2010 at 3:10 am.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 3:17 am
Just Joined

knapman47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Doesnt cost anything to find out.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tool/index.asp

Its unlikely your uncle can sponsor you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../relatives.asp

Work experience is usually a prerequisite of approval. Get some UK experience, find an eligable job in Canada, Get approval, Move.

Canada isnt so different to the UK anyway, maybe you need to better understand your frustrations with the UK and address them. There are probably cheaper, quicker and easier actions you can take than moving across the Atlantic.
Yep, had a look at those questionnaires and they seem to say I need at least a years experience OR have a pre arranged job, which isn't likely. My problems with the UK aren't anything I can do about myself. The country is overpopulated, overpriced, the economy is getting worse and worse and the scope of getting employed is poor. I just don't see it getting any better, especially with the amount of immigrants this country allows in (ironic, I know, considering I want to move to Canada without much to offer myself).

I am looking into BUNAC now, hopefully get a years visa for a "work holiday" and maybe make some connections whilst Im over there. Problem is I don't have all that much money and I'm sceptical as to how much it will cost and how easy it would be to get work over there. I'm not a big risk taker to say the least and flying to Canada with no job, little money and no support isn't normally something I would do, but its looking like my only option.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 3:22 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

There are uncrowded parts of the UK, there are expensive overpopulated parts of Canada. Unemployment is a fact of life in Canada too. If you want to live in an uncrowded bit of Canada, then employment flexibility is a bonus, as it is in the UK. Business/ Financial management will likely pin you to a major urban area In canada as much as it would in the UK.

Bunac is a good idea, think of it as a test drive. I think this is the last year that Bunac is running the scheme, I read it was to come back under government control as a working holiday visa, Idea for those with few ties and little money. Be aware though that the available places fill very fast, within days of opening.

Why not look at other EU countries? Much easier for a brit to travel to.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 15th 2010 at 3:24 am.