Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Am I eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program without a Job Offer?

Am I eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program without a Job Offer?

Old Nov 1st 2020, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Steve90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program without a Job Offer?

I was looking into the route of express entry and seem to be eligible after to looking at the tool within the CIC site. Looking to apply for British Columbia.

381 = Human Capital factors (assuming the lang exam)
100 = Skill transferability (Official Language proficiency and education and Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience)

The CRS points calculate to be 481.

I assume a program eligibility is also required so I have been looking at the Federal skilled worker program.

I am from a IT background and believe I fall under NOC skill A (217)
After looking at the Federal skilled worker program I pass the 67 points required (Selection Factor).

From this alone it seems I'm eligible to apply but I have been finding comments on the internet stating that a job offer is also required.

Could someone provide confirmation if a job offer is required despite the points being reached?

Last edited by Steve90; Nov 1st 2020 at 9:55 am. Reason: Additional information#
Old Nov 1st 2020, 12:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program without a Job Offer?

Originally Posted by Steve90
I was looking into the route of express entry and seem to be eligible after to looking at the tool within the CIC site. Looking to apply for British Columbia.

381 = Human Capital factors (assuming the lang exam)
100 = Skill transferability (Official Language proficiency and education and Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience)

The CRS points calculate to be 481.

I assume a program eligibility is also required so I have been looking at the Federal skilled worker program.

I am from a IT background and believe I fall under NOC skill A (217)
After looking at the Federal skilled worker program I pass the 67 points required (Selection Factor).

From this alone it seems I'm eligible to apply but I have been finding comments on the internet stating that a job offer is also required.

Could someone provide confirmation if a job offer is required despite the points being reached?
If you're scoring enough, then no job offer is required. You may have been reading comments from the old FSW system, where only those in certain occupations (29 of them, so very limited) could apply without a job offer, regardless of points and everybody else needed a job offer. But now it's just a points based system, and people only require a job offer to get their points up, so if you're scoring enough without one then it wouldn't be needed.

481 is very high so that that level you'd get an ITA in the next draw, assuming you do score max on IELTS (getting CLB 9 across the board is tough even for native speakers and will be essential for you to get those extra points, so study lots!). Have you got a breakdown of the points? Might be worth putting them on the forum so those in the know can double check them just in case you've given yourself points that aren't relevant - somebody the other day thought they scored enough, but turned out they'd given themselves the 50 points for the certificate of qualification, which wasn't relevant to their NOC code.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 1st 2020, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Am I eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program without a Job Offer?

Thanks for the Info, very helpful.

CRS Breakdown (Single candidate):
110 = Age: 20-29
135 = Education: Master's
136 = Language Proficiency (Assuming high CLB is achieved)
0 = Canadian work experience

Skills transferability Factors
50 = Official Language proficiency and education (Due to Post Grad education and High Language Proficiency )
50 = Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience (3+years UK work experience and again High Language Proficiency)

It seems everything is based on achieving a high language proficiency score.

What do native speakers usually get for IELTS (a realistic score)?

I have noticed that the query within the CIC site asks for one occupation and I gave my answer based on a few jobs (within the same field but different roles):
In the last 10 years, how many total years of foreign skilled work experience do you have?It must have been paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation (NOC skill type 0, A or B).
So I assume I would have await till I hit 3 years in my job (next year). Should I still apply after IELTs?
Old Nov 1st 2020, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously depends on your skill set - I found the listening and reading tests really easy to get IELTS band 9 on for both attempts I took at the test, speaking was strange, but still got 8.5 and 8 on it - which translates to max points (CLB10 or higher) - the writing bit was awkward, I scored 6.5 on both attempts,I'm not university educated and come from a trade background, but by the same token I now sit in management and have to write well worded emails etc. and like to think I'm above average intelligence.

There is no reason why with work you can't get a 7.0 in writing which translates to a CLB9, or 7.5 which translates to a CLB10 - just realise it may take a lot of prep work and multiple attempts.

I sat CELPIP in Canada for my 3rd go whilst over there on holiday/sitting other exams - a much nicer experience, a much nicer test and got CLB9 on my first attempt with little sleep, very little prep etc. Personally I think CLB 10 in CELPIP is probably easier than achieving an 7.0 in IELTS writing. That being said a friend sat her IELTS in Bali and had a much nicer experience and did a lot better, on other forums there are people who say siting IELTS in an english speaking country is harder than sitting it in a country where it isn't the native tongue.
Old Nov 1st 2020, 2:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

110 = Age: 20-29
Are you well below 29, or will you turn 30 anytime soon?

Max points is absolutely realistic, but just be prepared to put some practice in. Lots of people seem to assume that because they're native English speakers they can just turn up and get full points, and that's usually not the case.

I have noticed that the query within the CIC site asks for one occupation and I gave my answer based on a few jobs (within the same field but different roles):
Same NOC code or different ones? Do you have at least one year full-time in the same job?

So I assume I would have await till I hit 3 years in my job (next year). Should I still apply after IELTs?
You can but until you've got the full 3 years experience full-time you'll be below the current points threshold (456 by my calculations), so you're unlikely to get an invite at that level currently. But you could apply and then see what happens, you never know, you'd kick yourself if the points level did drop and you hadn't applied!

HTH.

Old Nov 1st 2020, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

I sat CELPIP in Canada for my 3rd go whilst over there on holiday/sitting other exams - a much nicer experience, a much nicer test and got CLB9 on my first attempt with little sleep, very little prep etc. Personally I think CLB 10 in CELPIP is probably easier than achieving an 7.0 in IELTS writing. That being said a friend sat her IELTS in Bali and had a much nicer experience and did a lot better, on other forums there are people who say siting IELTS in an english speaking country is harder than sitting it in a country where it isn't the native tongue.

Thanks for the pointers Stumpylegs, it's good to know that there is a backup option of switching exams. At the moment due to covid examinations aren't happening so I guess I'll have to wait.

Are you well below 29, or will you turn 30 anytime soon?
I am 27 at the moment, so safe for this category for now.

Max points is absolutely realistic, but just be prepared to put some practice in. Lots of people seem to assume that because they're native English speakers they can just turn up and get full points, and that's usually not the case.
Will need to get studying

Same NOC code or different ones? Do you have at least one year full-time in the same job?
Yes they are separate NOC codes 2173 and 2171. Yes I have 2 years in the current role and full time amongst both jobs.

You can but until you've got the full 3 years experience full-time you'll be below the current points threshold (456 by my calculations), so you're unlikely to get an invite at that level currently. But you could apply and then see what happens, you never know, you'd kick yourself if the points level did drop and you hadn't applied!
I'll still crack on with it and see what happens. Has it ever happened in the past where by there was a drop in points?
Old Nov 6th 2020, 9:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes they are separate NOC codes 2173 and 2171. Yes I have 2 years in the current role and full time amongst both jobs.

I'll still crack on with it and see what happens. Has it ever happened in the past where by there was a drop in points?
Good, definitely eligible then, as long as you've got at least one year full-time in one of those NOC codes.

It's just increased as time has gone on unfortunately, but once you get your 3 years experience and have 481 points, you should get an ITA.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 11th 2020, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that christmasoompa

Just to confirm, I have 1 year experience under noc code 2173 and 2 years under noc code 2171. So in total I have 3 years.

So would I be eligible for the following points below or would I have to wait another year to gain 3 years under noc code 2171:
Skills transferability Factors
50 = Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience (3+years UK work experience and again High Language Proficiency)
Old Nov 12th 2020, 1:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for that christmasoompa

Just to confirm, I have 1 year experience under noc code 2173 and 2 years under noc code 2171. So in total I have 3 years.

So would I be eligible for the following points below or would I have to wait another year to gain 3 years under noc code 2171:
You would be eligible for those points - for points purposes, you can use more than 1 NOC code, as long as they're skilled, so you can claim the maximum 3 years once you've done that.

HTH.