am i doing something wrong!!!!

Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: am i doing something wrong!!!!

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I don't mean that you shouldn't tell your story as it is and dress it up all nice and rosy for the rest of us if your experience clearly wasn't - what I meant was that it was a depressing choice of thread that Judy had linked to for someone that is still in the early stages of the process. I think that people still need support and encouragement at that stage.

Sorry if it sounded like I was being inconsiderate here - that wasn't the intention

While I agree with you that members do need support etc. I think they should read about good and bad experiences. Because of a set of circumstances we didn't get to Canada. I don't want others to make the same mistakes as us, such as making sure you really have enough points before you start, and to be wary of 'so called' experts at these emigration shows.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Diabolo will become famous soon enoughDiabolo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
hi all, just wondering if anyone has any advice regarding applying for work...ive sent loads of emails to employers and not heard from a single one...its driving me nuts:curse:. i am also enclosing a cover letter and resume but not a dickie bird...its so frustrating when all you want is a job offer.
thanx

I have done that and failed... Like Andrew said, unless the employer is desparate, they are not going to contact anyone from outside the country or city for that matter. They even don't reply to the mails or resume you post.

You got to call them and talk to them about your situation. They usually will call or reply to local candidates.

While I lived in US, i got vonage connection and took a toronto number (416) to get some call backs.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

We came over on the one-year BUNAC visa. We both work in occupations under pressure and Canada looks to the UK for so many examples of best practice and policies etc.

But even with all this amazing experience from the UK and a visa already in hand, it was tough getting a job.

Now our companies have known us for a year they are more than happy to sponsor us.

Unless you are amazingly qualified or experienced beyond belief then it might be worth coming over either on holiday or show your face or on a BUNAC visa.

Good luck
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
We came over on the one-year BUNAC visa. We both work in occupations under pressure and Canada looks to the UK for so many examples of best practice and policies etc.

But even with all this amazing experience from the UK and a visa already in hand, it was tough getting a job.

Now our companies have known us for a year they are more than happy to sponsor us.

Unless you are amazingly qualified or experienced beyond belief then it might be worth coming over either on holiday or show your face or on a BUNAC visa.

Good luck
Sounds like good advice to me. Another thing to consider is the US. If you have to jump through that many hoops to get job sponsorship, you might as well just try the US where you will get higher wages and lower tax. The advantage to Canada over the US used to be its points system, but with that now effectively 'pointless' if you excuse the pun, it has lost its advantage. Going south and trying Uncle Sam is now just as viable.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:33 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice: become good friends with any Canadians you meet in the UK. Get drunk with them. Then, when they return to Canada in a couple of years time, they'll be more than happy to employ you.