am i doing something wrong!!!!

Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future
Default am i doing something wrong!!!!

hi all, just wondering if anyone has any advice regarding applying for work...ive sent loads of emails to employers and not heard from a single one...its driving me nuts:curse:. i am also enclosing a cover letter and resume but not a dickie bird...its so frustrating when all you want is a job offer.
thanx
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: am i doing something wrong!!!!

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
hi all, just wondering if anyone has any advice regarding applying for work...ive sent loads of emails to employers and not heard from a single one...its driving me nuts:curse:. i am also enclosing a cover letter and resume but not a dickie bird...its so frustrating when all you want is a job offer.
thanx
This is a common complaint on this forum. Read around a bit and you will see that many have given up and simply applied for SW, whatever the wait. Are you highly skilled or educated? It seems to me that Canadian companies value Canadian experience over just about everything else, and fair enough, I suppose.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:29 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanx
Yes this is common - its not you at all. We found the same thing too. One company actually interviewd by OH and wanted us to get his certificates changed to Canadian equiv and then we never heard another thing. Out of about 40 applications we had two replies. He has finally got a job in Regina, saskatchewan, though it was throuhg a very kind contact on here.

You have to see it from the Canadians company side though in the fact that you are not there to start work when they want, if they have to go down the LMO route, to most this is brand new and they are very wary of the fact that they could go through the whole process and you may change your mind and not bother immigrating anymore.

In Canada its all about not what yo know but who you know so try to get some contacts going. One of the best ways is to go to Canada on a reccie/holiday and take your resume to every company which you see a job advertised in and speak to the employer face to face.

Whatever you decide, good luck on the job hunt.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:34 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

thanx
A lot of Canadian employers wont take you seriously when you are applying from outside the country. They probably get emails from all over the world from people that fancy moving to Canada and how are they to know whether you are serious or just sending off an email on a bit of a whim?

Try picking up the phone and calling them. It will show that you are serious if you are phoning from overseas. Plus most Canadians are really friendly when you get them on the phone - you'll probably find it a lot easier than you think to get through to the right person and when you do you'll be able to explain your reasons for moving and how serious you are in a much more credible way.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:34 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Canadian employers value both, educations and experience equally. And if they really can't find a Canadian for the job they will do all what it takes to get foreign worker.

But no matter what experience person may have - without relevant, documented education employers won't be willing to talk, unless they are desperate. And in some parts of Canada they are really desperate for some occupations, while in some parts for different occupations. Thus person without usually required education level may find it extremely difficult to hear from employers who are not desperate.

On the other hand person with good level of education but with minimal or no experience in particular occupation will also have difficulties competing with fresh graduates from Canadian colleges and universities.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jul 31st 2007 at 1:39 am.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:16 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

What everyone has told you is correct.

Have a look at the Occupations Under Pressure lists for Alberta and British Columbia. See if you or your OH belong to any of the listed occupations. They are occupations for which there is a shortage of workers in the relevant provinces.

As other posters have told you, the Canadian job market is very geared towards personal contacts (by phone or in person). Also, being able to quote someone's name is very helpful. If you phone someone and he/she is not able to offer you a job, he/she may be able to give you the name of another potential employer at another company. When you phone that potential employer, you can quote the previous person's name and say, "So-And-So suggested I call you."

Read the BE Wiki article on Career (Canada). Pay special attention to the section on Networking.

Also, just to make sure that you have not let any piece of information slip through the cracks, carefully read the BE Wiki article on Canadian immigration. If you have read it before, read it again. Occupations Under Pressure, for example, are mentioned in the Working Temporarily in Canada section of that article.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:42 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Notwithstanding your best efforts, you still may not be able to get into Canada.

This thread entitled Bye All From Craftybanshee is informative.

I'm not saying you won't get into Canada for sure. I'm just suggesting that you look at the issue from all angles and consider all options.

Perhaps you could take a two-pronged approach. Plan A might be moving to Canada and Plan B might be measures that you could take to improve your lives in the UK. There might be merit in working on both plans simultaneously. Maybe tactics that are useful for one plan will help the other plan as well.

Just a thought.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:24 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Notwithstanding your best efforts, you still may not be able to get into Canada.

This thread entitled Bye All From Craftybanshee is informative.

I'm not saying you won't get into Canada for sure. I'm just suggesting that you look at the issue from all angles and consider all options.

Perhaps you could take a two-pronged approach. Plan A might be moving to Canada and Plan B might be measures that you could take to improve your lives in the UK. There might be merit in working on both plans simultaneously. Maybe tactics that are useful for one plan will help the other plan as well.

Just a thought.
No, no, no - I don't agree with you this time around Judy - the thread you linked to is really depressing.

claremarie70 don't give up! You will get there in the end - think positive and don't start looking at Plan B yet!

where are you planning to move to and what sort of job are you looking for?
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
No, no, no - I don't agree with you this time around Judy - the thread you linked to is really depressing.

claremarie70 don't give up! You will get there in the end - think positive and don't start looking at Plan B yet!

where are you planning to move to and what sort of job are you looking for?
At first I thought this link was a tad on the dark side, but perhaps the idea is simply to show that it could be a seriously depressing and arduous prospect?
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul

Yes, it may be depressing but that's how it is! This is our experience! My husband tried to get a job over there. Some people strike it lucky, some do not.

I'm so sorry our story wasn't rosy and happy enough for you

I also see you haven't been on this forum for very long ......

Last edited by Craftybanshee; Jul 31st 2007 at 4:49 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
At first I thought this link was a tad on the dark side, but perhaps the idea is simply to show that it could be a seriously depressing and arduous prospect?

Every has a different experience of emigration. I didn't mean it to be dark, but I'm saying how it was for us. I'm not going to dress it up with bulls**t, sorry. I will say it how it is. When I started the attached thread I was quite down and very drained after sleeping, eating, breathing Canada for more than 3 years!

On the other hand I know of a few other who have got jobs from outside Canada and another couple who got in after being rejected the 1st time around.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:52 am
Immigration Consultant

I know what you mean, you cant let it become your life until it drains you completely but until you reach that point (doesn't sound like clairmarie70 should be there yet) its a dream well worth pursuing
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Every has a different experience of emigration. I didn't mean it to be dark, but I'm saying how it was for us. I'm not going to dress it up with bulls**t, sorry. I will say it how it is. When I started the attached thread I was quite down and very drained after sleeping, eating, breathing Canada for more than 3 years!

On the other hand I know of a few other who have got jobs from outside Canada and another couple who got in after being rejected the 1st time around.
Hey Crafty

My reference to its 'darkness' was only in terms of its inclusion on this thread, not your original post on the thread, which I found to be a fairly accurate description of what many on these forums have experienced.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:58 am
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Yes, it may be depressing but that's how it is! This is our experience! My husband tried to get a job over there. Some people strike it lucky, some do not.

I'm so sorry our story wasn't rosy and happy enough for you

I also see you haven't been on this forum for very long ......
I don't mean that you shouldn't tell your story as it is and dress it up all nice and rosy for the rest of us if your experience clearly wasn't - what I meant was that it was a depressing choice of thread that Judy had linked to for someone that is still in the early stages of the process. I think that people still need support and encouragement at that stage.

Sorry if it sounded like I was being inconsiderate here - that wasn't the intention
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Hey Crafty

My reference to its 'darkness' was only in terms of its inclusion on this thread, not your original post on the thread, which I found to be a fairly accurate description of what many on these forums have experienced.

Ok I don't want to scare newbies off, because I still think Canada's a great country. I know when we were trying to get there that I wanted to read the good and bad about Canada and be as informed as possible.

Hopefully the OP will get a reply from a prospective employer one day? She needs to get her resume on all the big websites, monster etc. It only takes one to reply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.