Am I a Canadian Citizen?

Old Feb 7th 2017, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Jase84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I a Canadian Citizen?

Hi All

I have never been to Canada, but my mum was born in BC and lived there for the first couple of years of her life, she has then lived in the UK ever since. When she was 19 she claimed Canadian citizenship, with the plan to move to Vancouver, but then she met my dad and it never happened.

Just had a look on CIC website and it says I may be a citizen by decent, which would be great news as I am in the middle of trying to move my family to Canada.

Is this correct, could I be a Canadian citizen already?

My mum citizenship is in her maiden name, does that matter? she has her birth certificate to prove she was born in BC.

If I am a citizen, does that also help my wife and kids on moving to Canada?

Thanks

Jase
Old Feb 7th 2017, 12:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I a Canadian Citizen?

To clarify, your mum didn't apply for citizenship when she was 19, she was a citizen from birth and simply got proof of it.

Yes, from where I'm sitting you are a citizen, which would mean you could sponsor your wife and kids (they aren't like to be citizens) for PR, much easier than any employment based route.

HTH.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
To clarify, your mum didn't apply for citizenship when she was 19, she was a citizen from birth and simply got proof of it.

Yes, from where I'm sitting you are a citizen, which would mean you could sponsor your wife and kids (they aren't like to be citizens) for PR, much easier than any employment based route.

HTH.
Thanks, yeah she just got prove when she was 19.

Wow that is great news, I have been trying to get my head around PR and Visa, etc... and turn out I may already be a citizen!
Old Feb 7th 2017, 1:00 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are a citizen by decent

It's a long wait tho, my wife's claim took almost 2 years and I read on hear the other day some one is still waiting, no contact and it's been 18 months. As long as you are in no rush then apply for proof of citizenship
Old Feb 7th 2017, 2:09 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed with the others. You're a citizen by descent and you can sponsor your family. But as magnumpi said, the application takes awhile, so get moving on that, and then allow another year for the sponsorship. So I'd say you would be looking at moving around 3ish years from now if you start getting things moving asap.

Old Feb 7th 2017, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for responses, I will get application for my citizenship certificate done asap.

Shame about the timeframes but at least its more straight forward.

So am I stuck in the UK until I have my citizenship certificate and my wife and kids have PR?

Thanks
Old Feb 7th 2017, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jase84
Thanks for responses, I will get application for my citizenship certificate done asap.

Shame about the timeframes but at least its more straight forward.

So am I stuck in the UK until I have my citizenship certificate and my wife and kids have PR?

Thanks
What do you have to prove you ARE a Canadian citizen? Once you get proof of citizenship then you are free to sponsor your family members and move to Canada. Once you have proof no need to stay in the UK.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 2:38 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What do you have to prove you ARE a Canadian citizen? Once you get proof of citizenship then you are free to sponsor your family members and move to Canada. Once you have proof no need to stay in the UK.
OP has mums birth certificate
Old Feb 7th 2017, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
OP has mums birth certificate
A birth certificate is NOT prima facia evidence of Canadian citizenship merely an indicator.
So how does the person get to Canada as they cannot apply for eTA and cannot get a Canadian passport until they have proof of citizenship.
Of course they could always fly into the USA and then drive into Canada and hope the CBSA officer believes they are a Canadian citizen.

9.4 Establishing citizenship without documents
Canadian citizens returning to Canada by air usually have to provide proof of identity and citizenship to get on the flight. Canadian citizens arriving at land borders, however, will frequently be without satisfactory documentary proof of Canadian citizenship. In these cases, the border services officer should question the person until the border services officer is satisfied with the person’s claim of Canadian citizenship. Once the border services officer is satisfied that the person is a Canadian citizen, the person must be allowed to enter Canada without further delay.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf04-eng.pdf
Old Feb 7th 2017, 2:59 pm

OP will apply for proof of citizenship

We already said this may take 2-3 years

Last edited by magnumpi; Feb 7th 2017 at 3:13 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

I don't have any proof, but my mum does and she has her birth certificate. I guess I will have to apply for a citizenship certificate before I can do anything!
Old Feb 7th 2017, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by magnumpi
OP will apply for proof of citizenship

We already said this may take 2-3 years
Yes but she then asked does she have to stay in the UK until she gets it. I gave another option but warned of the pitfalls.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are a Canadian citizen. You can check here:

See if you may be a citizen

When were your kids born? If they were born before Apr 17th 2009, they might also be Canadian citizens. You can check using the same link above but this time answer the questions from the point of view of your kids.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes but she then asked does she have to stay in the UK until she gets it. I gave another option but warned of the pitfalls.
Tingalingaling

Penny drop sound lol (I see what u was doing now)
Old Feb 7th 2017, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for a Canadian cit cert a couple of years ago and it only took 6 months (they say 2 years online as a guide).

Got my sons last year (from inside Canada) and it also took 6 months.

As someone else said, if kids were born before 17 Apr 2009 they may be citizens as well (I have 1 kid before and 2 kids after which I'm sure will go down well when they realise later in life!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.