Alternative to Bunac flights

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

jaluna25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alternative to Bunac flights

Hello,

Has anyone done the Bunac visa, and booked flights through some-one other than bunac? Their flight prices are looking very steep.

Do you absolutely HAVE to book a return flight? How do you do this a year apart? I have looked at alternative flight websites like BA and they don't let you book return flights more than a few months apart.

Any advice mucho appreciated, really don't want to have to go through bunac. They quoted insurance at 500 and i found some for 180, so am not really trusting their prices!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of
Default Re: Alternative to Bunac flights

Originally Posted by jaluna25
Hello,

Has anyone done the Bunac visa, and booked flights through some-one other than bunac? Their flight prices are looking very steep.

Do you absolutely HAVE to book a return flight? How do you do this a year apart? I have looked at alternative flight websites like BA and they don't let you book return flights more than a few months apart.

Any advice mucho appreciated, really don't want to have to go through bunac. They quoted insurance at 500 and i found some for 180, so am not really trusting their prices!
I booked BA instead of the BUNAC flights was much cheaper. You do need to have a return ticket but can only book a year ahead from the date you book...just make sure it's a changeable ticket normally you can change them for a fee plus whatever the difference might be in the cost of the new ticket.

I.e I think it will cost me 50 quid to change my ticket and I doubt I'll have any fare difference to pay as the tickets are actually cheaper on the date I want it changed to.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

jaluna25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks v.much! will look at that
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:02 am
Just Joined

Chromag is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, you dont need to go ahead and book flights with Bunac although I did go for their travel insurance as it was more comprehensive than anything else i could find.
I booked my flights with Canadian Affair but had to show proof of visa before i could book a return flight a year in advance. Be careful with the cheaper airlines as they don't normally allow you to change return flight dates. I ended up losing my return with canadian affair as I stayed on longer in canada and then booked another flight with Zoom. You can guess what happened then!!
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Chuck1804 is an unknown quantity at this point

BIG DILEMMA!!

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie here - been sponging info off this site for months now but only now have real cause to sign up!

I'm flying out from the UK on a BUNAC visa this June. I don't fly often so comparing flight costs / understanding Airline Ts & Cs is something of a struggle! I've been doing this all day think I've just about frazzled my brain now - Here's my dilemma:

Naturally, finding the BUNAC flight prices way too expensive, so booking independent to save significant amount of much needed cash.

Problem = this 'onward'/return flight I have to book to show BUNAC before they send me my Work Authorization Letter. I can book this cheaply, no problem, but cheap and AMENDABLE? Big problem!

Like a lot of folks on BUNAC, I don't know when I'm gonna be coming home - so the amendability feature is essential, but does anyone know of an airline that will do this for under £400??
I suppose I could take an independent outbound flight and a BUNAC return flight, but hadn't bargained with parting with nearly £1000 before I even arrived! Assumed I could do both for under £500...naive?

I'm fully prepared to book my outbound flight with a cheapish airline (approx £200-230) and the return flight with another that offers the amendable feature, but don't want to be spending over £600 overall! Having waded through just about all the comparison sites in existence, I'm hoping someone knows something I don't and can point me in the right direction...!

Here's to hoping

Thanks everyone,

Chuck
Old May 3rd 2009, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Hi Everyone

Just arrived in Toronto on BUNAC - we booked flights through GS World Travel (they are actually in same building as BUNAC so can forward flight details to them)

Our flights were 358 pounds return Heathrow-Toronto with Air Canada. Had to book a return date (1st April in our case) but can change it once for free and then have to pay for any further changes.

The staff were helpful so would definitely recommend them. Here's the link for their contact details- best to ring them:

http://www.gsworld-travel.co.uk/contact/

Hope this helps

Lucy
Old May 3rd 2009, 9:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chuck1804
BIG DILEMMA!!

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie here - been sponging info off this site for months now but only now have real cause to sign up!

I'm flying out from the UK on a BUNAC visa this June. I don't fly often so comparing flight costs / understanding Airline Ts & Cs is something of a struggle! I've been doing this all day think I've just about frazzled my brain now - Here's my dilemma:

Naturally, finding the BUNAC flight prices way too expensive, so booking independent to save significant amount of much needed cash.

Problem = this 'onward'/return flight I have to book to show BUNAC before they send me my Work Authorization Letter. I can book this cheaply, no problem, but cheap and AMENDABLE? Big problem!

Like a lot of folks on BUNAC, I don't know when I'm gonna be coming home - so the amendability feature is essential, but does anyone know of an airline that will do this for under £400??
I suppose I could take an independent outbound flight and a BUNAC return flight, but hadn't bargained with parting with nearly £1000 before I even arrived! Assumed I could do both for under £500...naive?

I'm fully prepared to book my outbound flight with a cheapish airline (approx £200-230) and the return flight with another that offers the amendable feature, but don't want to be spending over £600 overall! Having waded through just about all the comparison sites in existence, I'm hoping someone knows something I don't and can point me in the right direction...!

Here's to hoping

Thanks everyone,

Chuck
Whereabouts are you planning on flying to? Flight prices will vary massively depending on which side of Canada you're heading into.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Old May 3rd 2009, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Chuck1804 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucycrow
Hi Everyone

Just arrived in Toronto on BUNAC - we booked flights through GS World Travel (they are actually in same building as BUNAC so can forward flight details to them)

Our flights were 358 pounds return Heathrow-Toronto with Air Canada. Had to book a return date (1st April in our case) but can change it once for free and then have to pay for any further changes.

The staff were helpful so would definitely recommend them. Here's the link for their contact details- best to ring them:

http://www.gsworld-travel.co.uk/contact/

Hope this helps

Lucy
Thanks Lucy, that's really helpful! I'm also flying to Toronto so will definitely give them a call.

v. much appreciated,
Chuck
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

No worries Chuck- glad I could help!

Let me know if you need anymore help

Lucy
Old May 4th 2009, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Mark_McCulloch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jaluna25
Hello,

I'm a wee while away from booking flights and insurance, sending away for police check tomorrow. Just wondering what the company was that you got your insurance through for £180 and if it was acceptable to BUNAC?