Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Already applied and now job offer - advice?

Already applied and now job offer - advice?

Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:34 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Already applied and now job offer - advice?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ooooh, good point LB! Didn't even think of that.
If a trades person is unable to prove 9000hrs in the trade and that is after there training/apprent has finished then the trade body will not allow them to sit for the licence.
I know from experience that the tradebody in alberta are getting harder on people, my hubby passed his licence first time, been an electrician for 18yrs, but they still checked up with his employer to make sure that he is able to do the job..............
We are lucky that his employer is open with us and we get to get all info, i have heard other guys have had there licence cancelled due to the above rule and also cancelled as they have no job here........
so i would for any trades person tell them to contact the trade body first to get there qualifications checked before starting any process, rules change on a daily basis
LB
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
If a trades person is unable to prove 9000hrs in the trade and that is after there training/apprent has finished then the trade body will not allow them to sit for the licence.
I know from experience that the tradebody in alberta are getting harder on people, my hubby passed his licence first time, been an electrician for 18yrs, but they still checked up with his employer to make sure that he is able to do the job..............
We are lucky that his employer is open with us and we get to get all info, i have heard other guys have had there licence cancelled due to the above rule and also cancelled as they have no job here........
so i would for any trades person tell them to contact the trade body first to get there qualifications checked before starting any process, rules change on a daily basis
LB
Absolutely. I just didn't even think to mention it, I always do with people enquiring about TWP's but it didn't occur to me this time!
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

garyg13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I have been down and already have my 90day temporary red seal 309A and I will be sitting the test in a few weeks.
I asked the guy at the office downtown (Toronto) and he said your working hours for your apprenticeship count towards it.
Not sure if it's different over in the West!

Thanks for the advice, it's good to hear others out here doing it
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Absolutely. I just didn't even think to mention it, I always do with people enquiring about TWP's but it didn't occur to me this time!
I'll let you off
Been through his old posts and hes already had a LMO refused, dont know why, but the 9000hrs could be the factor, like i said earlier, if he needs help feel free to drop us a PM, i know how hard it is with the trades, but they have to becareful with all trades as people are coming over with bought qualifications and these employers have been hurt.

I know its bad when you are fully qualified in your country, but this is a different country and there rules
We have learn't over the last few months to go with the flow, chill and what will be, will be

LB
Old Apr 10th 2009, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by garyg13
Yeah I have been down and already have my 90day temporary red seal 309A and I will be sitting the test in a few weeks.
I asked the guy at the office downtown (Toronto) and he said your working hours for your apprenticeship count towards it.
Not sure if it's different over in the West!

Thanks for the advice, it's good to hear others out here doing it
You have been lucky as when we was in ontario last year they didnt take that into it, but then hubby has over the 9000hrs in the trade with his work
If you have put in your application and need to change it or add to it, then wait until you get the update letter or file number
Then email or write to them advising that you have the job

Good luck, i hoep you secure that job