Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Almost ready to submit - last few questions

Almost ready to submit - last few questions

Old Aug 11th 2010, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Almost ready to submit - last few questions

Hi guys,

We're in the final process of getting documents ready to submit our initial application to Sydney (hopefully only just over 1 week to go, so getting excited!) and have a few questions I wonder if anyone can help:

- Where it asks on the Application for Permanent Resident in Canada form where you intend to live in Canada (question 20), what significance does this question have? Does it influence or limit where you need to complete your record of landing? Or where you settle? At the moment we would like to live around Vancouver but it largely depends on the job situations for both our professions (I am a software developer, my wife is a research scientist) so we simply don't know for sure at this stage.

- Photographs, vaguely remember reading something about this but can't seem to find it, do we need to get anyone to certify the photography, do we just write names on the back or just send them plain? (we have 4 photographs each to the specifications in Appendix B)

- Sorry if this has been asked before, but on the Additional Family Information form, do you put your mother's maiden name or married name?

- This may sound trivial but we want to get it right - when you get your checklist, forms and documents together, it mentions placing all the documents in a sealed envelope. Does this mean all the supporting documents go in a separate envelope within the main envelope you are sending your checklist + forms in, or just everything in a single envelope?

- Once again may sound trivial, but do visa offices have any preference for attaching related pages together (such as all the pages for a single form etc). Paper clip? Stapled? In a plastic wallet?

Thanks for any tips on any or all of these questions

Wayne.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:58 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost ready to submit - last few questions

Originally Posted by Waggle
Hi guys,

We're in the final process of getting documents ready to submit our initial application to Sydney (hopefully only just over 1 week to go, so getting excited!) and have a few questions I wonder if anyone can help:

- Where it asks on the Application for Permanent Resident in Canada form where you intend to live in Canada (question 20), what significance does this question have? Does it influence or limit where you need to complete your record of landing? Or where you settle? At the moment we would like to live around Vancouver but it largely depends on the job situations for both our professions (I am a software developer, my wife is a research scientist) so we simply don't know for sure at this stage.

THIS DOESN'T REALLY HAVE ANY SIGNIFICANCE! YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR MIND AT THE LAST MO - THOUGH OBVIOUSLY IT WOULD HAEV SIGNIFICANCE IF YOU WANTED TO GO TO QUEBEC

- Photographs, vaguely remember reading something about this but can't seem to find it, do we need to get anyone to certify the photography, do we just write names on the back or just send them plain? (we have 4 photographs each to the specifications in Appendix B)

WRITE THE NAME OF THE PERSON APPEARING ON THE PHOTO ON THE BACK OF ONE OF THE PHOTOS

- Sorry if this has been asked before, but on the Additional Family Information form, do you put your mother's maiden name or married name?
HER NAME AS IT IS NOW

- This may sound trivial but we want to get it right - when you get your checklist, forms and documents together, it mentions placing all the documents in a sealed envelope. Does this mean all the supporting documents go in a separate envelope within the main envelope you are sending your checklist + forms in, or just everything in a single envelope?
EVERYTHING IN A SINGLE ENVELOPE, IN THE ORDER MENTIONED ON THE CHECKLIST

- Once again may sound trivial, but do visa offices have any preference for attaching related pages together (such as all the pages for a single form etc). Paper clip? Stapled? In a plastic wallet?
THEY PREFER THAT YOU DO NOT STAPLE THINGS - THEY ONLY HAVE TO UNSTAPLE IT ALL TO PUT IT IN THE ORDER THEY WANT IT IN

Thanks for any tips on any or all of these questions

Wayne.
See above :0)
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Ok thanks! Not sure whether to paper clip forms together or put everything in individual plastic wallets. My experience of paper clips is that the wrong thing gets clipped to the wrong piece etc!

Ah screw it I'll just use paper clips.
Thanks for all the info

Wayne.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

We presented everything, in order requested, in a smart, red wallet with clear pages so the IO could look through it like a book. We also put our file no on every single page, including the envelope. When we got our med requests they sent all the docs back - but kept the wallet!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
EVERYTHING IN A SINGLE ENVELOPE, IN THE ORDER MENTIONED ON THE CHECKLIST
One final point, there's the CIO checklist, and then the visa office specific checklist. The supporting documents mentioned on the CIO checklist such as principal applicant's passport copy and IELTS results etc, do they need to appear before the VISA specific checklist? Obviously these are required for both checklists.

So basic order would be?
- CIO checklist
- Forms
- Principal application's passport copy
- IELTS results
- London checklist
- All other supporting documents in the order specified on the London checklist

Also - Use of Representative form, we are assuming that this should not be included at all if you do not have a representative? Just I heard someone on the canadavisa.com almost being rejected for not having including this (sounds like rubbish to me though but figured I would check!).

Thanks a lot,
Wayne.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future

Hi

We included the Use of Rep form but struck it out with "Not Applicable".

We also didn't use paperclips etc - but separated each section with an aditional sheet printed with the title of each section on the check list that was included in our 90 day request. All that got stuck in a plain brown envelope.

Seemed to work. We land later this year :-)

4Shores
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4Shores
Hi

We included the Use of Rep form but struck it out with "Not Applicable".

We also didn't use paperclips etc - but separated each section with an aditional sheet printed with the title of each section on the check list that was included in our 90 day request. All that got stuck in a plain brown envelope.

Seemed to work. We land later this year :-)

4Shores
Hi can I ask what of the forms themselves? For example if you have a 4 page form and they get separated it actually is not necessarily easy (or even possible) to collate them properly again especially things like the background declaration when husband + spouse submit one each?

We're thinking of using paperclips around each supporting document section, but would make things easier if we could at least staple the pages of each form together for multi-page forms.

Actually, they do tell you in the guide to "staple" the photographs in the envelopes to the "application", so they are kinda advercating the use of staples!

Guess we're just nitpicking now. Something to do for the final few days whilst we await the IELTS results! ;p

Wayne.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

roraimap is an unknown quantity at this point

Waggle,

Did you ask for the police certificates?. I just read that

"All applicants must submit police certificates/clearances as part of the application process.
Note: Do not submit your police certificates to the CIO. If your application is placed into processing, you will be required to submit the police certificates to the Canadian visa office indicated on your application."

It was a change from the cic guide, I got them all and I am planning to send them to CIO anyway
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future4Shores has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Waggle;8781023]Hi can I ask what of the forms themselves? For example if you have a 4 page form and they get separated it actually is not necessarily easy (or even possible) to collate them properly again especially things like the background declaration when husband + spouse submit one each?

Forms are numbered - we simply added our file # to each. In terms of the spouse's forms (and children) we simply did another sheet with the name of the spouse/child with ref to the form.

I think you are worrying a little too much :-)
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Which ( I should have added) is understandable - I am a 2007 applicant so by the time we were processed we'd kinda given up - and seeing how the GBP/CAD has nose dived - may still have to!
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=4Shores;8781426]
Hi can I ask what of the forms themselves? For example if you have a 4 page form and they get separated it actually is not necessarily easy (or even possible) to collate them properly again especially things like the background declaration when husband + spouse submit one each?

Forms are numbered - we simply added our file # to each. In terms of the spouse's forms (and children) we simply did another sheet with the name of the spouse/child with ref to the form.

I think you are worrying a little too much :-)
Yeah I am probably going to be worrying a little too much until we submit our docs! (hopefully on Saturday). We won't have a file number since we submit everything up front with our original application, so by the time we get sent a file number we'll have already submitted everything.

We have a banker's draft which doesn't even have our names on (just has the bank's address in Canada since it's HSBC Canada) so we're going to write our names + address + FSW1 + NOC code on the back of that in case it gets separated.

My wife has been telling me for weeks that I am worrying too much. Personally I think she is worrying too little so hopefully we'll find our happy place in the middle somewhere

Wayne.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roraimap
Waggle,

Did you ask for the police certificates?. I just read that

"All applicants must submit police certificates/clearances as part of the application process.
Note: Do not submit your police certificates to the CIO. If your application is placed into processing, you will be required to submit the police certificates to the Canadian visa office indicated on your application."

It was a change from the cic guide, I got them all and I am planning to send them to CIO anyway
Hi - yes we just read the same thing. We got a spare copy each so we have 2 police certificates each. The CIO checklist asks for all documents requested in the visa-specific checklist, and the London checklist certainly asks that the police certificates are included.

Thing is we got our police certificates over 1 month ago when we first started gathering documents, so they only have 2 months left before CIC would require us to get new ones.

Anyway, I think we are going to send police certificates with our documents and then either send the spare copies, or get fresh ones done, if London office ask for it.

Wayne.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:46 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - yes we just read the same thing. We got a spare copy each so we have 2 police certificates each. The CIO checklist asks for all documents requested in the visa-specific checklist, and the London checklist certainly asks that the police certificates are included.

Thing is we got our police certificates over 1 month ago when we first started gathering documents, so they only have 2 months left before CIC would require us to get new ones.

Anyway, I think we are going to send police certificates with our documents and then either send the spare copies, or get fresh ones done, if London office ask for it.

Wayne.
Police Certs are now valid for a year.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Police Certs are now valid for a year.
Wow I hadn't heard this, thats awesome news. Hopefully that puts an end to the stories of people having to buy 4 or 5 police certificates over the course of the immigration process, and spending a fortune at the mercy of CIC for doing so.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Wow I hadn't heard this, thats awesome news. Hopefully that puts an end to the stories of people having to buy 4 or 5 police certificates over the course of the immigration process, and spending a fortune at the mercy of CIC for doing so.
Okay just to clarify:

Police certificates are valid for 12 months from the date they are issued. If your application is placed into processing, these certificates must be submitted before your application can be finalized. Failure to submit police certificates when requested to do so within a specified period of time may result in the refusal of your application.
Note: If a final decision is not made on your application before the expiry of your police certificate, the visa office may request that you provide a new one.
When you submit the police certificates to the visa office, ensure they have been issued in the last three months and no earlier.
So, when you submit them that have to be no more than 3 months old, but they are valid in CIC's eyes for 12 months.

Hope this makes sense..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.