Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Allowed to stay whilst waiting for Work Visa Decision?

Allowed to stay whilst waiting for Work Visa Decision?

Old Sep 28th 2020, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

DatenThielt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Allowed to stay whilst waiting for Work Visa Decision?

Afternoon all,

Back when Covid-19 started I had applied for an extension which was required due to no flights back to the UK (In march/April), This extension was granted until the 15th of October. During that time some of my home circumstances changed, My partner and myself decided we should try apply for a work visa for myself, She has been in full time education since January and due to the time spent in Canada we met the requirements of a Common law partnership. We submitted the documentation for the in Canada work visa application. At the time the processing time was about 60 days.

It now looks like its going to take much longer for this as processing times have shot up to 192 days, This will take me past my 15th of October visitor visa extension. Do I have to leave the country on the 15th or does my application allow me to stay despite having a previous extension on the visitor visa?

Thanks for all the help here! (Now and in the past)
Old Sep 28th 2020, 2:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allowed to stay whilst waiting for Work Visa Decision?

Can you clarify what kind of work permit you've applied for?

Also, have you now lived together for a year or more uninterrupted? It's just that in your previous thread you mention your gf going ahead of you and you arriving in Canada in February, so that wouldn't be a year yet.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 28th 2020 at 2:10 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

It was an open work permit which we chose based on the information given here

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...rk-canada.html

Thank you
Old Sep 28th 2020, 2:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DatenThielt
It was an open work permit which we chose based on the information given here

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...rk-canada.html

Thank you
OK, so an open work permit based on your partner's study permit? That wouldn't apply if you didn't move to Canada until February though, as per your previous post, as you wouldn't be her common-law spouse until February 2021.

If you leave to return to the UK you'd break the cohabitation again, so ideally you want to stay in Canada if possible, but you could extend your visitor status again if you can afford to not work and can extend health insurance etc. Or is marriage an option at all?
Old Sep 28th 2020, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Sorry let me clarify (I missed that in your original request sorry!),

We arrived in Canada on December 28th, Prior to that we had lived together with a join lease for just under a year, including Canada it pushes us over the common law requirement was our understanding.

I have no problem extending the visitor visa again if needed but if I'm covered by the work visa application then its easier not too

Last edited by DatenThielt; Sep 28th 2020 at 2:31 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 3:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DatenThielt
Sorry let me clarify (I missed that in your original request sorry!),

We arrived in Canada on December 28th, Prior to that we had lived together with a join lease for just under a year, including Canada it pushes us over the common law requirement was our understanding.

I have no problem extending the visitor visa again if needed but if I'm covered by the work visa application then its easier not too
Under a year prior to moving to Canada is the problem. You had to have lived together continuously and without any break for a minimum of 12 months - as your partner left to come ot Canada in December --- and you didn't come over until February --- you didn't meet the requirements and therefore the clock was reset. You won't become 'common law' until you have resided together for 12 consecutive months, without a break.. which will take you to February 2021.

To be considered common-law partners, they must have cohabited for at least one year. This is the standard definition used across the federal government. It means continuous cohabitation for one year, not intermittent cohabitation adding up to one year.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ng-common.html

I suggest you apply to extend your visitor status asap and withdraw the work permit application.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 28th 2020 at 4:02 pm.