Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

To all PNP's - question re work permit

To all PNP's - question re work permit

Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about
Default To all PNP's - question re work permit

Hi there!

I need your advice please: I thought that once you are a Provincial Nominee you receive an open work permit as you are LMO exempt.

Well..... I received my (employer driven) Provincial Nominee Certificate from Ontario and the recommendation letter for the work permit states the employer I am working for and quite a long paragraph about them being interested in employing me before my PR is processed. It also tells me that I can go to the border and get my work permit at the POE. Well... it doesnt say if I'll get an open or closed wp...

So I wonder: will I receive an OPEN work permit or a CLOSED work permit (bound to employer) with this recommendation letter?

Do they make a difference between Provincial Nominees whose program is employer driven and those whose program is not?

I thought LMO exempt work permits are ALWAYS open.

Can anyone who's been there please help?

Thanks a million!
Brigit

Last edited by Mermaid3011; Dec 6th 2009 at 8:20 am. Reason: ....
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

tastyh will become famous soon enoughtastyh will become famous soon enough
Default Re: To all PNP's - question re work permit

I would assume that the new permit would be fixed to your employer, considering that the Ontario PNP is nominating you to work in that specific job.

For the BC PNP, it says on the website that the nomination certificate can be revoked at any time if they find out that you've changed employers.

So closed would be my guess.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tastyh
I would assume that the new permit would be fixed to your employer, considering that the Ontario PNP is nominating you to work in that specific job.

For the BC PNP, it says on the website that the nomination certificate can be revoked at any time if they find out that you've changed employers.

So closed would be my guess.

awwwwww.... no that's not what I wanted to hear...

I HATE HATE HATE my boss - she is a devil and I can't stand working for her any longer...
Old Dec 6th 2009, 1:19 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mermaid3011

awwwwww.... no that's not what I wanted to hear...

I HATE HATE HATE my boss - she is a devil and I can't stand working for her any longer...
We got a WP under the NS PNP and that was an open one - though the NS PNP were surprised to hear this when we told them..lol.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Once you are a Provincial Nominee and have sent all your stuff to CHC you are on "Implied Status" so you can work until you are told otherwise by CHC so the work visa basically becomes redundant, unless you plan to travel out of Canada. Here is the kicker... there is no official document that says:

"We, CHC, hereby declare that Mr. Smith is under 'Implied Status' until the out come of said application"

So even if you did want to get another job you would not have any documentation to prove that you are allowed to legally work for them which brings me to the next point:

The reason they won't give you a OWP is because the province you've applied to assessed that you had a permanent, full time job. That is one of the requirements of being accepted! If you all of a sudden up and leave that job then that defeats the whole object of becoming settled and stable here.

As long as CHC is moving applications smoothly all you'll have to wait is 6 months! That's all you have to do! Hang in there mate! Soon as you become a PR you can work where ever you like in your province.

I am a PR and I went through PNP. I had a lot of time left on my Bunac WHV when I applied for PNP so I did not request a work permit!

Good luck!

Last edited by roxye3; Dec 6th 2009 at 1:46 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 2:10 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by roxye3
Hi,

Once you are a Provincial Nominee and have sent all your stuff to CHC you are on "Implied Status" so you can work until you are told otherwise by CHC so the work visa basically becomes redundant, unless you plan to travel out of Canada. Here is the kicker... there is no official document that says:

"We, CHC, hereby declare that Mr. Smith is under 'Implied Status' until the out come of said application"

So even if you did want to get another job you would not have any documentation to prove that you are allowed to legally work for them which brings me to the next point:

The reason they won't give you a OWP is because the province you've applied to assessed that you had a permanent, full time job. That is one of the requirements of being accepted! If you all of a sudden up and leave that job then that defeats the whole object of becoming settled and stable here.

As long as CHC is moving applications smoothly all you'll have to wait is 6 months! That's all you have to do! Hang in there mate! Soon as you become a PR you can work where ever you like in your province.

I am a PR and I went through PNP. I had a lot of time left on my Bunac WHV when I applied for PNP so I did not request a work permit!

Good luck!

The OP is not in implied status just because s/he has received a nomination certificate. Implied status is when you have applied for a new permit to Vegreville and have not received their response. It is implied for the same employer not a new employer.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you to all posters!

Yes I've heard from three different sources now that the Work Permit as PN in Ontario will be closed (employer bound).

I suppose I'll have to do this job for another 6-10 months then...

Luckily I dont need to rush to Niagara now. My current WP is good until July 10 so I will just apply via mail in Vegreville and wait 3 months. That's good enough. No implied status in this case.

Thanks and very merry christmas to all of you!
Brigit