British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   All'$ wel that end$ well. Well, for them. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/all%24-wel-end%24-well-well-them-791811/)

gb_griffiths Mar 25th 2013 9:58 pm

All'$ wel that end$ well. Well, for them.

So having made the decision after loads of research, reflection and soul searching I engaged the services of an immigration representative one month ago. I spent about a month of toing and froing with them via e-mail trying to get answers to seemingly simple questions. I got inconsistent responses / advice and felt like a distinctly cattle class client; more of a case number than individual.

So last Wednesday I lost all remaining patience and wrote to them requesting a refund and that they voluntarily disengage. They declined to refund me on the grounds that the claimed time spent on my file multiplied by their hourly rate exceeded the amount I’d paid in legal fees so far. That wasn’t a surprise. In fact I was pleasantly surprised that they didn’t demand the difference as well.

So after a tempestuous 1 month affair my heart was broken ( yet again:cry_smile: ) when I read they emotional farewell:

“I hereby confirm, that upon your request, your file at [insert representation’s name here] is now closed.”

What a waste of circa $1000.00 CAD. I’m as clueless now as I was 1 month ago and have 1 month less time to get everything sorted. However, I actually feel less stressed now than I did when I was using the representation. By the end I had zero confidence in my representation. The reality of the service did not live up to the standards they set prior to me signing the contract. They do a lot to get you to sign and then not a fat lot after that is my assessment.

It’s a lesson I’ve learned the hard way but it could’ve been much worse. As some people on here have discovered, some of these representatives charge way more than I got stung for.

I thought I’d add my cautionary tale to the list of unsatisfied customers of immigration consultants.

mandymoochops Mar 26th 2013 3:13 am

Re: All'$ wel that end$ well. Well, for them.

what questions do you need answers too, maybe we (not me though cos i'm crap) can help?

nldfc Mar 26th 2013 9:42 am

If I remember right from one of the brazalot threads were you not expecting the consultant to be crap and rip you off but went ahead anyway ?

(not trying to sound like a dick by the way - just not got time to trawl through the back threads :) )

christmasoompa Mar 26th 2013 11:59 am

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths (Post 10623572)
I thought I’d add my cautionary tale to the list of unsatisfied customers of immigration consultants.

Although to be fair to consultants, there are also many satisfied customers. Unfortunately, you obviously hired one of the ones that don't give a proper service (which became apparent as soon as you said they were expecting you to fill in your own forms, I was gobsmacked by that!). Any decent consultant should do everything for you to make it easier, and smooth the whole process, whereas it sounds like whoever you used did exactly the opposite and expected you to do most of the work yourself. Which isn't quite the idea!

I don't know who you went with in the end, but do feel free to name them if you wish, as it may help others in the future who are contemplating using them and do a search of the forum.

Best of luck, hope your job is on 'the list' when it's announced and you can still proceed with your application.

SchnookoLoly Mar 26th 2013 12:59 pm

Found the thread in the past posts, looks like OP was debating between Wildy and another called AK... not sure which he chose, though.

gb_griffiths Mar 26th 2013 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10624483)
Although to be fair to consultants, there are also many satisfied customers....

I don't know who you went with in the end, but do feel free to name them if you wish, as it may help others in the future who are contemplating using them and do a search of the forum.

I completely agree with point one. I am sure there are satisfied customers who used the same firm as me (probably in the past and the future).

Because of the above, I don't want to 'name and shame', so to speak, as the experience I had may have been a one off. Perhaps my expectations were too high? Perhaps the lawyers in this firm were busy so they gave my case to the work experience kid? Who knows?

If anyone thinks I'm not just someone with an axe to grind trying to make trouble for the consultant I'll happily state my opinion in a PM. Much as I would if a mate was asking for my opinion down the pub. But I'm not keen to engage in a public character assassination of the firm. Number 1, it might be a one off and therefore unfair on them. Number 2, these things tend to descend into a messy argument where neither participant has complete picture of what really went on.

gb_griffiths Mar 26th 2013 5:53 pm

Re: All'$ well that end$ well. Well, for them.

Originally Posted by nldfc (Post 10624252)
If I remember right from one of the brazalot threads were you not expecting the consultant to be crap and rip you off but went ahead anyway ?

(not trying to sound like a dick by the way - just not got time to trawl through the back threads :) )

I don't imagine I was expecting to be ripped off. I might have been worried that I might get ripped off.

The real problem is, from my point of view (and as confirmed by Mr Masoompa), is that when you discuss issues with them prior to engagement the consultants play their cards very, very close to their chests.

An example I'll give is that when I spoke to one consultant I started to discuss references and what I could realistically provide. They weren't interested in even discussing it, yet alone reviewing one of the references I'd obtained to see if it was sufficient. I explained that getting more detailed references than I already had would be an issue (probably impossible). The consultant wasn't bothered, and said there were lots of options (e.g job specs, contracts, pay slips, etc) and this wouldn't be an issue.

How can a consultant honestly, and with integrity, say "you have a great chance of success so hire me" when they're not in the full possession of all the facts that surround your circumstances? It exposes you to a situation whereby you have to take leap of faith and hope for the best. Or not engage them.

In the case of the representation I eventually hired, I started to get push back on certain issues. Issues which I had already tried, and believed I had, addressed prior to engagement (such as job titles which did not match the ones in the NOC code lists). So I found myself in a massive game of e-mail ping-pong with them. Each one eating 24hrs out of my preparation time. Also, after signing the contract suddenly new terms and conditions were introduced such as:
  • No telephone contact (or money back guarantee forfeited)
  • Only e-mail this address. The other one is for sales enquiries only

Similarly, if you failed to provide them with all the information they asked for you forfeited the money back guarantee. This is an issue. It was very likely that I would not be able to provide them with all the info they asked for. I’d do my best but it was not in my control (e.g references). I'm sure it’s the same for most candidates. As such, I don’t see how they can make bold claims that you have a great chance of success etc when they don't adequately review your circumstances and personal situation prior to engagement.

Anyway, this is now eating into my dwindling preparation time so back to the job in hand – try to prepare my own application.

nldfc Mar 26th 2013 6:01 pm

Its a bit shitty losing a 1,000 bucks but once you start getting the paperwork together you will find its not that bad . I'm a borderline idiot and I managed it :)

gb_griffiths Mar 26th 2013 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by nldfc (Post 10625117)
Its a bit shitty losing a 1,000 bucks but once you start getting the paperwork together you will find its not that bad . I'm a borderline idiot and I managed it :)

Was it a successful application?

nldfc Mar 26th 2013 6:06 pm

Yes :)

christmasoompa Mar 26th 2013 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths (Post 10625108)
(and as confirmed by Mr Masoompa)

*cough* Note the pink sign next to my name! And I think I've even got a photo on my profile page if you're still confused. ;):lol:

gb_griffiths Mar 26th 2013 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10625151)
*cough* Note the pink sign next to my name! And I think I've even got a photo on my profile page if you're still confused. ;):lol:

Oops. Sorry. Hadn't noticed that.

Please don't punish me. Oh go on then.

christmasoompa Mar 26th 2013 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths (Post 10625156)
Oops. Sorry. Hadn't noticed that.

Please don't punish me. Oh go on then.

:lol:

gb_griffiths Mar 26th 2013 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by nldfc (Post 10625127)
Yes :)

How did you get around issues such as the lack of space in certain fieldds (e.g. professional memberships).

Here is asks you to write the name of the body you are a member of but only gives you 23 characters to do this.

Name of my body v's available characters:
The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants

It just does not fit. It says you must not abbreviate. What the hell do you do?

RubyRose Mar 26th 2013 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths (Post 10625166)
How did you get around issues such as the lack of space in certain fieldds (e.g. professional memberships).

Here is asks you to write the name of the body you are a member of but only gives you 23 characters to do this.

Name of my body v's available characters:
The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants

It just does not fit. It says you must not abbreviate. What the hell do you do?

You use additional sheets of paper, at least that's what I did. Actually I used canadavisa with attorney David Cohen his fees were reasonable as my case was not straight forward.

good luck.