Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Alberta PNP what you should know if you have teenage dependants

Wikiposts

Alberta PNP what you should know if you have teenage dependants

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light
Default Alberta PNP what you should know if you have teenage dependants

If you enter Canada on a WP your teenage dependants will not be able to apply for WP unless they go the full LMO/WP route. My thirteen year old daughter can't not work for a few hours at Tim Hortons to gain a little extra pocket money until she's sixteen. this is despite the fact that a lot of fast food joints close due to staffing shortages where's the logic. Alberta are behind us that the situation is ridiculous but their hands are tied by the federal government.
Anyone else experienced the same or maybe different/

Thomas
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 3:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta PNP what you should know if you have teenage dependants

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
If you enter Canada on a WP your teenage dependants will not be able to apply for WP unless they go the full LMO/WP route. My thirteen year old daughter can't not work for a few hours at Tim Hortons to gain a little extra pocket money until she's sixteen. this is despite the fact that a lot of fast food joints close due to staffing shortages where's the logic. Alberta are behind us that the situation is ridiculous but their hands are tied by the federal government.

Thomas
An aversion to exploiting child labo(u)r, perhaps?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Thomas
Hiya Thomas

We had a member not long ago who was in the same position - in fact I think that it was one of the deciding factors as to why their Canada move didn't work - they were here on WP's.

But this wouldnt apply to people coming to Canada on PNP as they get a PR visa so dont know whether you have got your wires crossed a bit

Gay
x
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:53 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Thomas
Thomas, I feel sorry for you and even more sorry for your daughter. I believe it's useful to warn other members of the forum that children of work permit holders are not entitled to open work permits. They are only entitled to the regular work permits that require LMO. And which 13-year-old has the training and experience to get LMO?

But, just for clarification, the fact that your daughter is under sixteen has nothing to do with the WP/LMO issue. As the child of a work permit holder, she would still need to get an LMO if she was over sixteen. (At least I'm guessing you're on a work permit, and therefore she's the child of a work permit holder.)

As Gay indicated, this problem will evaporate when you get your PR, which hopefully will be on its way soon. Part-time jobs help kids to get hold of spending money and they also help to keep them meaningfully occupied. I think it's a great shame that kids of work permit holders are not allowed to work for money.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Oct 23rd 2007 at 4:57 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:56 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hiya Thomas

We had a member not long ago who was in the same position - in fact I think that it was one of the deciding factors as to why their Canada move didn't work - they were here on WP's.

But this wouldnt apply to people coming to Canada on PNP as they get a PR visa so dont know whether you have got your wires crossed a bit

Gay
x
If I understand the process, when their application reaches a certain point in the pipeline, PNP applicants are granted work permits and are allowed to enter Canada and start their jobs. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that is the case with Thomas. That is, I'm guessing he's on his way towards getting PR via PNP, but still is at the interim work permit stage of the process.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Just to clear things up, the process we have embarked on is this:-

1. Contact with employer & conditional job offer
2. Alberta QCP submitted and approved
3. Employer applies and receives Positive LMO
4. I apply for WP at CHCL
5. CIC invitation letter to apply at POE for WP
6. Arrive Canada (6 months permit issued only renewable if exam passed) take & pass Red Seal IP
7. Employer provides GJO & Applies to Alberta PNP
8. Employer becomes Alberta PNP approved
9. I apply for and receive for nomination certificate and PNP stickers
10. PR application pending to be sent to Buffalo (awaiting UK Police certs).

I assume the acronyms are obvious, if not let me know.

Current WP rules on dependants is an area where CIC could review their current conditions to the benefit of Individual (daughter), Provence and Country. As far as I can see this is a win win situation without any downsides.

Regards
Thomas