Alberta PNP

Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

spooooook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alberta PNP

Could anyone assist me with a simple explanation of how the Alberta PNP for skilled workers works?

I am a qualified solicitor in the UK, and would like to obtain PR as quickly as possible. I understand the best means to achieve this is via the PNP. I have previously investigated the requirements to qualify for the Canadian bar, but this would take some considerable time and is something I might consider at a later stage when safely landed in Canada. However, I am desperate to get PR in Alberta as quickly as is possible, so I was wondering whether it would be possible in the meantime to take advantage of my skills and experience to secure a job as a paralegal under the PNP? Or would this sort of job not fall within the program?

Any help, suggestions or pointers as to the best way forward would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.

S.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:23 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta PNP

Hello, spooooook, and welcome to the BE forum.

I would be very surprised if you could get into Alberta through this province's PNP as a paralegal.

Paralegals don't appear amongst the Occupations under Pressure in Alberta, which usually gives one an indication of the fields in which there are labour shortages.

In addition to that, to apply via the PNP, an Alberta company has to submit a business case to the PNP. It tends to be larger companies with many vacancies of the same kind (e.g., transportation companies that are short of long haul truck drivers) that go to the trouble of doing that.

I suggest you read the Wiki article called Work Permit versus PNP.

Probably the most useful article to read after that is Beginner's Guide to Canadian Immigration.
x

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Feb 27th 2008 at 10:31 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:28 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Postscript. You may be interested to know that paralegals are on the Occupations under Pressure list for British Columbia. That means you have a reasonable chance of getting a temporary work permit in BC. If you later get a permanent job offer from your employer, you can upgrade to a permanent residence visa fairly quickly. It's even possible that you may be able to get in as a paralegal via BC's PNP. I don't know for sure, but it's worth researching.

PPS. From the little bit of information I've seen about BC's PNP, employers in that province do not have to pre-register with the PNP as they have to do in Alberta.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Feb 27th 2008 at 10:32 am. Reason: PPS
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies, Judy. Very helpful

I may be wrong, but I have noticed that the "skilled worker" category for PNP in Alberta seems not to be as narrowly defined as other provinces. If I am correct in this, does it mean in practice that Alberta is more flexible and amenable to employers who may "push the boat out" for a potential UK employee even though the job description may be borderline so far as the "Occupations under Pressure" list is concerned?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:18 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by spooooook
Thanks for the replies, Judy. Very helpful

I may be wrong, but I have noticed that the "skilled worker" category for PNP in Alberta seems not to be as narrowly defined as other provinces. If I am correct in this, does it mean in practice that Alberta is more flexible and amenable to employers who may "push the boat out" for a potential UK employee even though the job description may be borderline so far as the "Occupations under Pressure" list is concerned?
Sorry, I've only just seen this post now.

I don't know a great deal about the Alberta PNP. From the little I know, I think you are correct about the Alberta government being somewhat flexible about the jobs that it considers acceptable. But, and I think this is quite a big but, I do know that the employer has to have submitted a business case to the Alberta government, and the Alberta government has to have approved the business case, before the employer can offer the job to a foreigner.
x
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Sorry, I've only just seen this post now.

I don't know a great deal about the Alberta PNP. From the little I know, I think you are correct about the Alberta government being somewhat flexible about the jobs that it considers acceptable. But, and I think this is quite a big but, I do know that the employer has to have submitted a business case to the Alberta government, and the Alberta government has to have approved the business case, before the employer can offer the job to a foreigner.
x
Thanks again, Judy. I need some good news to keep my spirits up in the light of the recent proposed immigration rules changes
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

alex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nice

Could anyone assist me with a simple explanation of how the Alberta PNP for skilled workers works?

I am a qualified solicitor in the UK, and would like to obtain PR as quickly as possible. I understand the best means to achieve this is via the PNP. I have previously investigated the requirements to qualify for the Canadian bar, but this would take some considerable time and is something I might consider at a later stage when safely landed in Canada. However, I am desperate to get PR in Alberta as quickly as is possible, so I was wondering whether it would be possible in the meantime to take advantage of my skills and experience to secure a job as a paralegal under the PNP? Or would this sort of job not fall within the program?

Any help, suggestions or pointers as to the best way forward would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.

S.
Hi there

Im going through the PNP process at the moment. This is how it worked for me. Basically I submitted my resume to as many sheet metal (my trade which is also on the NOC shortage list) companies as possible looking for work. I came up trumphs with a company in Lethbridge Alberta who offered me a job and applied for a LMO on my behalf. I was granted a 6 month work visa initally and asked to sit the trades test. My visa would be extended if I passed which I did. I am now on a 3 yr visa.

There is a pilot scheme on going in Alberta where the AB Gov. will contact persons who have recently passed the trades exams and give them the chance to be Permanant Residents via the PNP program. The AB Gov contacted me soon after my visa was extended.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

How long does Alberta PNP take?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.

S.
I was once in your position and I have recently finished the last of my NCA exams (just waiting for the results).

I don't know much about your situation but, if you have been in practise in England for any length of time, I would seriously reconsidered the route you intend to take. Support staff in law firms are not treated with anything like the respect they are in the UK, over here, Lawyers think they are gods.

The best advice I can give to you is to complete the NCA's exams before you come over (Articles are much easier to obtain over here than in England). You may be aware that you can sit the NCA's exams in England (so no need for expensive flights etc). I appreciate that you may want to get over here as soon as possible but it is soul destroying working for a canadian law firm in your position. In essence, they don't know what to do with you as you can't give any legal advice and you have no rights of audience so, in essence, you become a very expensive typist.

Luckily, I recently obtained a position that is just about perfect and I have no complaints at all now, but that wasn't the position when I first came over and I know many other foreign lawyers that are in an awful position. They have to simply suck it up until they begin their Articles.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of further assistance
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jericho
How long does Alberta PNP take?
anybody?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

Hi Spooooook,

You seem to be in a similar position to my OH.

We investigated the possibility of him getting a paralegal job in Alberta, and it seemed very unlikely without PR.

We also investigated BC PNP which does cover lawyers, but not paralegals. However, to be able to work as a lawyer you must have passed the provincial bar exam and completed articles, and to qualify for PNP you must be licensed to work in your profession in BC, so it seems a bit of a catch 22! BC PNP team suggested that he might be able to get a WP to complete the qualifying process if he does the exams and then gets a Canadian law firm on board to complete articles (under WP) and then be able to emigrate under PNP. We didn't pursue this any further as we have decided to wait it out (as it gives our kids a chance to finish school without disrupting them and because he doesn't have time to study for the exams now on top of his very demanding job).

The contact we used (although it was a year ago) is PNPinfo at gov dot ca. Good luck, let us know how you get on