Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Alberta pilot project? Help please?

Alberta pilot project? Help please?

Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Staceymarr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alberta pilot project? Help please?

Hey just new to all this forum. First of all sorry if There is another post on this, can't seem to find one though. We are looking my husband children and I to move as temporary foreign workers under the alberta pilot project (Im led to believe you don't need to have a lol if your job is listed) he's a carpenter. We have enough funds to support us for at least good few months, taking every financial nightmare into consideration. We are finding it difficult to obtain a job offer though, have emailed resume to countless employers in job bank ECT, and haven't heard a thing. Does anyone recommend anything that would help him get a job offer? Thanks S x
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Alberta pilot project? Help please?

A LMO sorry not a lol. Dam iphone
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:14 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Staceymarr
Hey just new to all this forum. First of all sorry if There is another post on this, can't seem to find one though. We are looking my husband children and I to move as temporary foreign workers under the alberta pilot project (Im led to believe you don't need to have a lol if your job is listed) he's a carpenter. We have enough funds to support us for at least good few months, taking every financial nightmare into consideration. We are finding it difficult to obtain a job offer though, have emailed resume to countless employers in job bank ECT, and haven't heard a thing. Does anyone recommend anything that would help him get a job offer? Thanks S x
Have you considered applying under the Federal Skilled Worker Trades Stream? You would not have to limit yourself to Alberta with that.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

As to finding a job, have a look at the wiki on job hunting in Canada: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Hunting-Canada

Have you looked at the 'working in Canada' website? It lists where there are jobs, what jobs, salary etc: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/LMI...Option=outlook

Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:25 am
Just Joined

It's just that alberta seem to be supposedly seeking his profession more x
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Have you only applied via email for jobs? If so, that's where you're going wrong as it's not normally the way things are done in Canada.

Have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki for info on how to find a job in Canada - put simply, your husband needs to get out there and knock on doors, or pick up the phone as a minimum.

And just checking, but he's got his AIT approval letter?
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Have you only applied via email for jobs? If so, that's where you're going wrong as it's not normally the way things are done in Canada.

Have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki for info on how to find a job in Canada - put simply, your husband needs to get out there and knock on doors, or pick up the phone as a minimum.

And just checking, but he's got his AIT approval letter?
Like Christmasoompa says, I found a response of roughly 2 negative email replies to between 40-50 emails I sent.
I phoned ONE company,and start next month.Yes I was VERY lucky with that ONE phone call,but I would have tried more companies if I had to.

Good luck,don't give up!!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Clearly no where near as ready as we thought ait approval letter? Yikes! Is that the application where you send proof of your qualification? Sorry I'm near hopeless!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly no where near as ready as we thought ait approval letter? Yikes! Is that the application where you send proof of your qualification? Sorry I'm near hopeless!
I think you need to read up some

Applying through the Alberta Occupation-Specific Pilot: If employers want to hire a journeyperson level carpenter or millwright, the worker will require an approval letter from Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) for the Alberta Qualification Certificate Program before being eligible to participate in the pilot.

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...n-workers.aspx

There is also a pdf: http://www.albertacanada.com/tfw-ann...steam-pipe.pdf

Bearing in mind this is only for a TWP, I am not sure why you are not applying under the FSW Trades stream, which would give you PR!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Mainly because it takes about 2 years to process for PR from here and that's a terribly long time considering the work prospects here are grim. Will do more reading thanks!! xx
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:44 am
Banned

In that case, you could look into BC PNP, you only have to have an offer of a job (contract) from an approved employer and once PNP approval is received you can obtain a TWP without an LMO.

Just sayin'

http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigrat...WT.svl=LeftNav
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Thankyou!! Looks like I shall be doing lots more googling tonight. Thanks again x
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Mainly because it takes about 2 years to process for PR from here and that's a terribly long time considering the work prospects here are grim. Will do more reading thanks!! xx
It wouldn't take that long, seems to be about a year or less going on current timescales. But the AIT takes a few months anyway doesn't it?

As Siouxie has said, PNP may also be an option, BC isn't the only province that would allow you to get a TWP with a job offer, so do look at all the provinces that you would be happy living in.