Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Alberta INP / PNP - carpenter woes, any advice?

Wikiposts

Alberta INP / PNP - carpenter woes, any advice?

Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Judeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant future
Default Alberta INP / PNP - carpenter woes, any advice?

We are hoping to apply for the Alberta INP (formerly PNP) and have just discovered that my husband, who is a carpenter, must prove his 'journeyman' status. He can either sit an exam to get an official Alberta certificate or else provide proof himself - which will not be official and therefor not guarantee anything.

He qualified as a carpenter 20 years ago and has UK City and Guilds qualifications but apparently Alberta doesn't recognize these. He was advised that it would require approx. 1000 hours of study to sit the exam - the Qualification Certificate Program (www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca)

We can't provide a recent letter from an employer as he ran his own carpentry business in the UK although we may be able to get a letter from a company he contracted for 8 years ago.

I was wondering if any tradesmen on BE have gone through this and could pass on some words of advice?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:32 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta INP / PNP - carpenter woes, any advice?

You're already working in Alberta on a temporary work permit (TWP), aren't you? That's what I gathered from one of your other posts. In that is the case, I do not believe that the Alberta Provincial Nominee Program (AINP) is your only option.

I'm guessing your employer wants to hire you permanently, and their sponsorship of you would be the basis of your AINP application. But, instead of sponsoring you for AINP, they could just write a letter stating that, if you were successful in applying for PR, they would want to hire you permanently. Then your PR application would be expedited on the basis of pre-arranged employment.

For instructions on how to go about this, see the Wiki article called Fast Track PR Application.

Carpentry is an Optional Certification Trade in Alberta, not a Compulsory Certification Trade. That is, under normal circumstances, an employer can just satisfy him/herself that a job candidate has the necessary skills and experience. But I see that the AINP takes a hard line and demands that people in Optional Certification Trades have full certification before applying for AINP.

You can still come in on a TWP under the usual rules that apply to Optional Certification Trades, and indeed you seem to have done so. As far as I know, you then can apply for an expedited PR visa if your application is backed up by a permanent job offer from your employer.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Judeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant future

Thanks Judy, as ever you are full of words of wisdom! I am going to have a look at the Fast Track PR option today. We were so pre-occupied with the AINP / PNP route that we didn't think of looking for another way.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

sand grownun is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband did Alberta PNP 2 years ago and he didn't need to do Red Seal. He just presented his City and Guilds qualifications as evidence, plus documentation from his previous employer. As Judy stated there isn't a requirement for UK carpenters to pass red seal exam. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sand grownun
My husband did Alberta PNP 2 years ago and he didn't need to do Red Seal. He just presented his City and Guilds qualifications as evidence, plus documentation from his previous employer. As Judy stated there isn't a requirement for UK carpenters to pass red seal exam. Hope this helps.
Hi Sand

He worked for himself for 7 years in the UK and before that he contracted so we don't think that the agencies he worked for will keep records that far back or even remember him. We have friends in a similar situation though and will pass that on, that will be good news for them.

We are going to try the Fast Track PR route that Judy in Calgary suggested...
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Warren Green is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Warren Green here a couple of questions , first are you living in the UK, if so he can a get work visa without demonstrating he can pass his journeyman certificate because its a non compusorary trade. It will not hamper his application to work. if he has his city and guilds so non issue
I have brought over 30 joiners in the last 6 months if you can do shuttering contact me I can help you get a two year work permit

Warren Green [email protected]
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Hi Warren
No, we are already over here on TWPs. Thanks anyway!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Warren Green is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Warren Green
Hi Warren Green here a couple of questions , first are you living in the UK, if so he can a get work visa without demonstrating he can pass his journeyman certificate because its a non compusorary trade. It will not hamper his application to work. if he has his city and guilds so non issue
I have brought over 30 joiners in the last 6 months if you can do shuttering contact me I can help you get a two year work permit

Warren Green [email protected]

I Live near Calgary and yes he can get a work visa in a non compulsorary trade without doing his journeymans exam

my email is [email protected]