Alberta Immigration question

Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:46 am
Just Joined

dirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nice
Question Alberta Immigration question

I'm hoping to move to Alberta as a Long Haul trucker on PNP, I know my wife can work via my TWP but can my son who is 18 work?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta Immigration question

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, he cannot work unless he gets a visa in his own right, or until you've all got PR.

Have a read of the following Wiki article, and read the bit in bold under 'Disadvantages of TWP's'.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tempor...Permits-Canada

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:51 am
Just Joined

dirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nice

Originally Posted by dirtytrucker
I'm hoping to move to Alberta as a Long Haul trucker on PNP, I know my wife can work via my TWP but can my son who is 18 work?
Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

Hi

My daughter was 18 when she came to Alberta and both her mum and I were here on a TWP before her arrival. So we applied online to Vegreville for her to get a TWP and we paid online. We sent her passport and within a month the passport came back with the TWP in it. Her TWP was valid to the same expiry date of her mum's TWP. She even got a job within a week after getting her TWP. Check the TWP section in the immigration and just fill in the forms. The only thing is that we were here on a TWP before she came.
We did it for her last August. Has the rule changed? I don't know.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:21 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by ibbye13
Hi

My daughter was 18 when she came to Alberta and both her mum and I were here on a TWP before her arrival. So we applied online to Vegreville for her to get a TWP and we paid online. We sent her passport and within a month the passport came back with the TWP in it. Her TWP was valid to the same expiry date of her mum's TWP. She even got a job within a week after getting her TWP. Check the TWP section in the immigration and just fill in the forms. The only thing is that we were here on a TWP before she came.
We did it for her last August. Has the rule changed? I don't know.
The OP is coming on a TWP as trucker, which is NOC category 7411 skill level C. Only dependent children 18-22 in Alberta and Ontario can obtain work permits IF their parents work permit is in NOC A,B or O see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2010/ob122.asp
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The OP is coming on a TWP as trucker, which is NOC category 7411 skill level C. Only dependent children 18-22 in Alberta and Ontario can obtain work permits IF their parents work permit is in NOC A,B or O see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2010/ob122.asp
Thank you for your reply, so it look's as if my son would have to gain employment before we left the UK to obtain a visa, which realistically that's going to be tough. Does anyone else have an alternative suggestion which I may have overlooked?

Thanks
Ian
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dirtytrucker
Thank you for your reply, so it look's as if my son would have to gain employment before we left the UK to obtain a visa, which realistically that's going to be tough. Does anyone else have an alternative suggestion which I may have overlooked?

Thanks
Ian
How about a study permit if he has any interesting in furthering his education (he can at least work part-time on a study permit), or Bunac (just Google it)? The latter is only for a year, but would enable him to work over there during that time.

Failing that, marriage to a Canadian girl is the only other option I can think of but at 18 it's not something I'd recommend!