Alberta Health Care & Dual Intent

Old Feb 12th 2015, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Edinburgh - to Calgary (didn't work out) - Now Vancouver
JJHJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alberta Health Care & Dual Intent

Hi All,

I've read conflicting info regarding Dual-Intent arrival in Canada and the sponsored person's ability to get health care. On here I read they would not qualify for provincial health coverage until they get their PR.

However here: Alberta Health Care Insurance for Visitor the individuals claim the sponsored was able to get Alberta HC as a dependent on the sponsor's coverage (assuming the sponsor is a resident of Alberta and Canadian citizen). Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of this?

A second question, if we were to arrive under Dual-Intent (with our Stage I approval letter) and with our infant child who is Canadian by descent, how likely is an immigration officer going to believe the sponsored person (my wife and mother of our child) will ever leave if for some reason her application is denied? As I understand it, we must prove the sponsored accepts the possibility of leaving the country if not approved. Again anyone with personal experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Feb 12th 2015, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta Health Care & Dual Intent

If you are moving or returning to Alberta from outside Canada, you might be eligible for coverage on the date of your arrival. You must register within 3 months of arrival. Newcomers to Canada are required to present a copy of their Canada entry document along with their other supporting documents.
Moving to Alberta – Register for AHCIP – Alberta Health

As for dual intent the likelihood of your wife being asked to return to the UK and being denied is minimal unless found inadmissible.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

I found the answer to my own question on Temporary residents and AHCIP, Alberta Health

"AHCIP eligibility while waiting for permanent residency status

In order to be eligible for AHCIP coverage you must have a valid Canada entry document or a letter from CIC indicating a “positive first decision” has been made regarding your application for permanent residency.

If you receive a “positive first decision” letter from CIC with respect to your permanent residency application, forward a copy of the document along with your completed application for AHCIP coverage and other required documentation to Alberta Health.

Your AHCIP coverage may be reinstated to the date of the “positive first decision” letter but not earlier.

If your Canada entry document is due to expire and you have not yet received this letter, you may be eligible for a one time only temporary extension of your AHCIP coverage. However, we recommend you apply for an extension of your prior permit during the waiting period to avoid a lapse of coverage."
Old Mar 24th 2015, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JJHJ
I found the answer to my own question on Temporary residents and AHCIP, Alberta Health

"AHCIP eligibility while waiting for permanent residency status

In order to be eligible for AHCIP coverage you must have a valid Canada entry document or a letter from CIC indicating a “positive first decision” has been made regarding your application for permanent residency.

If you receive a “positive first decision” letter from CIC with respect to your permanent residency application, forward a copy of the document along with your completed application for AHCIP coverage and other required documentation to Alberta Health.

Your AHCIP coverage may be reinstated to the date of the “positive first decision” letter but not earlier.

If your Canada entry document is due to expire and you have not yet received this letter, you may be eligible for a one time only temporary extension of your AHCIP coverage. However, we recommend you apply for an extension of your prior permit during the waiting period to avoid a lapse of coverage."
I understand 'positive first decision' to be Sponsor Approval, so with this document the applicant would be able to receive Alberta Healthcare.

Hope this helps anyone else considering doing a Dual Intent move to Alberta.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

andrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I am a visitor in Alberta, waiting for PR. I applied for AHCIP last September and to do so I provided information about my spouse (Canadian/Alberta resident), my PR application, sponsor approval and my visitor record.

They gave me a health card which expires on the expiry date of my visitor record. So when my visitor record expires I have to reapply.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andrewbrit
I am a visitor in Alberta, waiting for PR. I applied for AHCIP last September and to do so I provided information about my spouse (Canadian/Alberta resident), my PR application, sponsor approval and my visitor record.

They gave me a health card which expires on the expiry date of my visitor record. So when my visitor record expires I have to reapply.
That's good to know Andrew, many thanks.