Alberta Driving License

Old Oct 5th 2004, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alberta Driving License

A suppose that if we move to Alberta that it will be becessery to take a driving test in order to get Albertan licenses to replace our Eurpean ones. What does this test involve and how long does it take to arrange?

If you fail, how quickly can you retake. Perhaps we are a bit paranoid, but I bet that after 20 years of aquiring bad habits that I wouldn't pass my UK test again.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta Driving License

I don't know much about the test - am hoping that by the time we get there they will be swapping UK licenses, see email below from Alberta gov official in reponse to my query as to why the UK recognises Albertan licenses but yet they do not recognise UK ones...

Biiiiink

I am pleased to provide you some additional information at this time. Alberta has had preliminary discussions with UK licensing authorities about Alberta recognizing UK licences and is presently reviewing the agreements very recently put in place in other Canadian provinces.

While it is perhaps encouraging for you to know that a full and formal reciprocal licensing agreement with the UK will be pursued I need to inform you that Alberta's experience to date has been that reciprocal licensing agreements take several months to finalize. As you are aware you have 90 days to obtain an Alberta licence.Therefore perhaps there is a hope it would be in place to meet your licensing needs but it is too early in the process for me to predict.

Old Apr 7th 2005, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
A suppose that if we move to Alberta that it will be becessery to take a driving test in order to get Albertan licenses to replace our Eurpean ones. What does this test involve and how long does it take to arrange?

If you fail, how quickly can you retake. Perhaps we are a bit paranoid, but I bet that after 20 years of aquiring bad habits that I wouldn't pass my UK test again.
Easy peasy - too damned easy to pass here in my opinion! Terrible drivers, too many accidents! The fact that you learned and passed in the UK puts you streets ahead of most drivers here!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:13 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
Easy peasy - too damned easy to pass here in my opinion! Terrible drivers, too many accidents! The fact that you learned and passed in the UK puts you streets ahead of most drivers here!
I took a one hour lesson before my test with an instructor from Hong Kong who told me at the end: "You in trouble, you in big trouble!"

I then passed the test by one point (think 70/100 is the pass mark) and he then looked at me with a look of horror in his eyes repeating "you lucky, you velly velly lucky!"

The one hour before the test was the first hours driving I had done in Alberta. Not easy getting your eyes ajusted to the opposite side of the road. As long as you slow down to 30kph for the school signs you'll be fine.

So yep, it probably is too easy if I can do it after an hours driving experience then I'm sure anyone can.

BTW, taking the lesson lowers your initial insurance premiums.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

Here's the breakup:
1) You must take the written test (20 questions, as easy as it gets). You will then get a preliminary class 7 licence. NOTE, show them your UK licence and demand non-probationary (no GDL) licence. Officially, you're required to surrender your UK licence but many registries won't care so don't get fooled into doing this.

2) Once you have your class 7 with no GDL, you can schedule a driving test at any time you want. Once passed you'll get class 5 licence which is what you want. The test is very easy, slightly tougher than in the US though. Two things, always look back when changing lanes and don't hit the curb with the back wheels when you're parallel parking.

People complain about Albertan drivers, but having recently visited GTA, I can say that there are more idiots in Ontario than here - it's probably on the par with LA.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Posidrive

Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:40 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bartM
Officially, you're required to surrender your UK licence but many registries won't care so don't get fooled into doing this.
Is that true?

No-one even mentioned to us about surrendering our licences.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Yep, you're not allowed to have two licences at the same time. Some registries in Edmonton wanted to shred my Cal licence and my fiance's licence from Sweden. The dilemma is that if you don't show it to them you'll get the GDL and you have to wait like a year to take a driving test. So it's better to find an agent that will allow you to keep your old licence.

Originally Posted by Iginla
Is that true?

Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:55 pm
Deep in the red C.

Cheers for that. Interesting.

What's the big deal about having two licences if you can have two passports?

Anyone wants to know where we did our registration and test in Calgary drop me a PM.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iginla
Is that true?

Yep - there is a recent thread discussing this (and also one on insurance for those interested) On the other board though - the cultural one, not immigration

The law states that you have to surrender it. You are only entitled to hold a licence for your country of residence. (I still have mine, 12 years on ) well....I didn't know, and they didn't ask! I didn't even have to take a test

Last edited by Calgal; Apr 7th 2005 at 11:57 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 5:23 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bartM
and demand non-probationary (no GDL) licence.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a non-probationary license?
Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

hawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to all

Take a Sample Driver's Test! for Alberta

http://www.saferoads.com/index.html
Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

When you have GDL, you cannot take a driving test under the first year from the written test. Also the threshold for demerit points is lower and some other stuff is restricted. This is used to make sure that new drivers are more careful but if you have a long driving recored they'll waive this GDL thing.

Originally Posted by jcapulet
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a non-probationary license?
Old Apr 9th 2005, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

The Welshman is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a Driving Examiner. A few month ago I had a candidate who was from canada who had exchanged htheir Canadian Drivinge licence for a British one, allbeing Automatic. (They were upgrading to mannul.)
This is taken from the DVLA web site about exchanging licences.

How to exchange your licence for a GB licence.

Rules for exchange

The following conditions must be met before a licence can be granted in exchange for a GB one:

you must be normally resident in Great Britain and have a permanent address here;

licences from the designated countries must be current at the time the application for exchange is received at DVLA. Licences issued in Northern Ireland must have been issued after 1.1.76. Licences from the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands are acceptable for exchange if valid within the last 10 years. Those issued in any EC/EEA country may be valid for exchange even if they have expired;

you must surrender your foreign licence which will be returned to the issuing authority;

Canadian Licences - Due to information received from the Canadian licensing authorities, it was decided to give all drivers who exchange Canadian licences automatic transmission only. This can only be upgraded to manual upon presentation of confirmation from the relevant licensing authority of a manual test being passed or a manual test is passed in this country.

So it seems that you can go Canadian to British, but not the other way.

info here. at No. 7

The Welshman A pint of Brains SA, works well
Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Welshman
So it seems that you can go Canadian to British, but not the other way.
Yes you can. Ontario exchanges UK licenses (I've done it). I think SK also does and maybe NB but don't quote me on those - check it out on their websites. Alberta was supposed to do it by now (see my post above from last year) and I've recently heard from Manitoba who said they will also exchange shortly.

Depending where you're going and when, there may be an exchange option for you but I bet you'd love a busman's holiday and to do a test anyway, wouldn't you?!

Biiiiink
Old Apr 9th 2005, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Yes you can. Ontario exchanges UK licenses (I've done it). I think SK also does and maybe NB but don't quote me on those - check it out on their websites. Alberta was supposed to do it by now (see my post above from last year) and I've recently heard from Manitoba who said they will also exchange shortly.

Depending where you're going and when, there may be an exchange option for you but I bet you'd love a busman's holiday and to do a test anyway, wouldn't you?!

Biiiiink
Hi all

I am lucky in that I have Both UK and Alberta and Had to keep them because I was not a pernement resident but worked for two years in alberta,

At the time if you went to a registry office with your uk license, ID Card and your FMT 600 indorsed with canda all you guys and girls who have done military service will have one then they sent one to you! class 5 only

If you are in Canada and serving and want to immigarte get one now before they close this entrance for a license (because technically your not supposed to have two licenses).

Even though you still had to do a 20 question theory test in the military to get it no road test was required

Even if they do evently have a straight swap, anyone with C or C+E will not get swaped as you need airbrakes endorsement (a course in canada) and also take a driving test and theory test for heavy goods vehicles

I think from driving in canada for two years the average driver would be a very good competent driver over there but a must is understanding the traffic light and road sequence ie turning right on red lights and aslo driving in cities such as edmonton and calgary is just as bad as over here and driving between them is so relaxed

reagrds

matty266