British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   AINP and labour market outlook (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/ainp-labour-market-outlook-878683/)

Teal Jun 10th 2016 3:10 pm

AINP and labour market outlook

Hello,

I'm just doing a bit of research on the labour market outlook for Alberta and noticed it clashes with information on the AINP. For example, there are quite a few occupations listed as 'ineligible occupations' for PNP but appear to have quite a shortfall in supply and demand forecasts.

Basically I was just interested to know if receiving a nomination is based on these types of reports. I am trying to be sensible and research as much as possible as my husband and I are planning to study in Alberta with a view to making the move permanent.

I realise I haven't mentioned specific occupations, but I just wondered if anyone has any insight into this matter...

Thanks.

Siouxie Jun 10th 2016 4:55 pm

Re: AINP and labour market outlook

Originally Posted by Teal (Post 11970028)
Hello,

I'm just doing a bit of research on the labour market outlook for Alberta and noticed it clashes with information on the AINP. For example, there are quite a few occupations listed as 'ineligible occupations' for PNP but appear to have quite a shortfall in supply and demand forecasts.

Basically I was just interested to know if receiving a nomination is based on these types of reports. I am trying to be sensible and research as much as possible as my husband and I are planning to study in Alberta with a view to making the move permanent.

I realise I haven't mentioned specific occupations, but I just wondered if anyone has any insight into this matter...

Thanks.

Hello!

Have you looked into Express Entry rather than AINP?

:)

Teal Jun 10th 2016 5:19 pm

Hi Siouxie!

We have looked into various immigration routes and have spoken with some international recruiters at Colleges/uni's. I looked into express entry as an option once we are over there, the intention is for one of us to study full time, and the other works full time! We are both applying for completely different courses and hopefully we can secure skilled work experience to qualify for EE. AINP is something else I looked at as an alternative route.

My background is primarily in secretarial roles in the NHS and Local government and I'm degree educated, husband ex Royal Navy, stint in Oil and Gas, now works in North Sea on Rescue boat for oil rigs. We originally looked into me studying and furthering my career as so many dead ends here in UK - but I am torn between developing my business knowledge or going into Counselling (related to my degree and previous work experience in mental health). My husband is wanting to retrain and take his career in a new direction and I feel his studying is the priority.

The reason we thought about doing this in Canada is first, we want to travel and experience life there, and second, we live in an area of the UK that is literally the pits, and we would be upping sticks anyway, so we thought , why not take our shot in Canada. I was nosing about looking at employment forecasts and just noticed that weirdly some occupations seemingly in demand were ineligible through AINP.

Engineer_abroad Jun 10th 2016 8:02 pm

Alberta is struggling right now and their unemployment figures (which were announced today) have gone up significantly.

Alberta unemployment rate surges to 7.8% with largest decline in hours worked in 30 years - Calgary - CBC News

This is all a fall out from the oil and gas prices being so low. There have been some recent post on the forum about people struggling to find work in Alberta so for now things are not looking like they did say 2-3 years ago.