Wikiposts

Age matters

Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of
Default Re: Age matters

Originally Posted by riosangel
Am a newbie but finding this site invaluable and also have received some good advice from other posters.
Ive read a lot of people describing themselves as a 'young family' and as I don't want to ask people their ages i wondered if anyone could give me their insight into immigrating at what I wouldn't call a 'young family age'
My husband will be 48 when he finishes his 22 years in the RAF and by then I will be 43. Our son will be 12 and our daughter 18 (though she may choose to stay in the UK). Have we left it too late to realistically think about immigrating? From our own point of view it isn't too late but maybe from prospective employers view? Has anyone else immigrated at similar points in there lives?
I look forward to any advice/comments.

Hi there

We are a family of 4 - my OH will be 46 this year and I will be 41, we have 2 boys ages 15 & 12!

I don't think your age matters, its your outlook thats important. When we made the decision to apply (almost 3 years ago now!) we did it as a family. My 15 year old son isn't as happy about the idea as he was 3 years ago but is willing to at least give it a try. We have agreed that providing he stays for the 3 years and gets his citizenship that if he still wants to come back we will help him to do that. Our hope is that he will change his mind but realistically he would have probably been leaving home to study at this point anyway. He knows how important it is for him to get his citizenship so that if he realises he has made a big mistake in coming back to the UK then he will be able to return to us in Canada. My 12 year old on the other hand is still as keen as he was when we began the process.

I suppose only time will tell but at least we won't be looking back saying I wish we had tried that when we had the opportunity!

Best of luck with your decision!

Michelle
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by deenailz
i am sure i have read on here about families going over with kids that are older etc...
we have wanted to do it for yrs but thought we wouldnt be able to but once i found this fabby site i realised it could actually be done granted it might take yrs , haha
we are doing it now because the kids are still young enough to not be too distraught at leaving 7 & 2 , i didnt fancy dragging the kids away when they have made really close friendships etc ....
am sure you will be fine ,and if its any help i keep litterally cakking it when i think it might actually be happening ! its different when you are just waiting but once letters start coming and we got our meds its like "whao oh sh*t " hahaah i still want to do it though xxxxx
Being a fellow yorkshire lass, i understand the cackking it terminology, you may have to find another term once out in canada!! 'Poopin it' maybe?!!
Am i right in thinkin you are nearly there at the finishing line? My kids are 7 and 2 too! Arn't you gonna miss otley chevin! I'm glad to find someone else from my part of the world, as it is a lovley area and i keep thinkin i'm the only wharfedale girl gettin out!
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hollis Family
Hi there

We are a family of 4 - my OH will be 46 this year and I will be 41, we have 2 boys ages 15 & 12!

I don't think your age matters, its your outlook thats important. When we made the decision to apply (almost 3 years ago now!) we did it as a family. My 15 year old son isn't as happy about the idea as he was 3 years ago but is willing to at least give it a try. We have agreed that providing he stays for the 3 years and gets his citizenship that if he still wants to come back we will help him to do that. Our hope is that he will change his mind but realistically he would have probably been leaving home to study at this point anyway. He knows how important it is for him to get his citizenship so that if he realises he has made a big mistake in coming back to the UK then he will be able to return to us in Canada. My 12 year old on the other hand is still as keen as he was when we began the process.

I suppose only time will tell but at least we won't be looking back saying I wish we had tried that when we had the opportunity!

Best of luck with your decision!

Michelle
Sorry to be totally off thread, but i see you're heading to cambridge, we are going to somewhere around there but haven't quite decided where yet (hubby in sales so location flexible), it seems like a great place from internet, your views would be great (if you been there!!). ta.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
Sorry to be totally off thread, but i see you're heading to cambridge, we are going to somewhere around there but haven't quite decided where yet (hubby in sales so location flexible), it seems like a great place from internet, your views would be great (if you been there!!). ta.

Hi Kirsten

Have sent you a PM!

Michelle
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:58 am
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
Being a fellow yorkshire lass, i understand the cackking it terminology, you may have to find another term once out in canada!! 'Poopin it' maybe?!!
Am i right in thinkin you are nearly there at the finishing line? My kids are 7 and 2 too! Arn't you gonna miss otley chevin! I'm glad to find someone else from my part of the world, as it is a lovley area and i keep thinkin i'm the only wharfedale girl gettin out!
lol yeh our back garden looks right upto the chevin , and it is beautiful ,but am sure i wioll cope with the views in canada, granted we aint gonna see the rockies which just always blow me away but theres still plenty of nice scenery well when it aint covered in 10 foot of snow , haha

we are due to have our meds in a couple of weeks , so am trying to get our house and garden tieded up a bit so we can stick it up for sale
go around the house like the bloody house doctor , thinking of phrases like kerb appeal ,

i actually think i am entering realms of maddness , lol

xxx
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

Am a newbie but finding this site invaluable and also have received some good advice from other posters.
Ive read a lot of people describing themselves as a 'young family' and as I don't want to ask people their ages i wondered if anyone could give me their insight into immigrating at what I wouldn't call a 'young family age'
My husband will be 48 when he finishes his 22 years in the RAF and by then I will be 43. Our son will be 12 and our daughter 18 (though she may choose to stay in the UK). Have we left it too late to realistically think about immigrating? From our own point of view it isn't too late but maybe from prospective employers view? Has anyone else immigrated at similar points in there lives?
I look forward to any advice/comments.
I hope Canadian employers are not age-ist. I'm a sprightly 52 yr old and my husband is a little older. I guess it depends on why you are thinking of going to Canada - for us it is the lifestyle, the greta outdoors. I am hoping that I will find employment which is not a s stressful as the job I am in currently. As for salary, well you cut your cloth accordingly.
So all in all, it is never too late and you are never too old it just depends on your outlook!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bzriddell
I hope Canadian employers are not age-ist. I'm a sprightly 52 yr old and my husband is a little older. I guess it depends on why you are thinking of going to Canada - for us it is the lifestyle, the greta outdoors. I am hoping that I will find employment which is not a s stressful as the job I am in currently. As for salary, well you cut your cloth accordingly.
So all in all, it is never too late and you are never too old it just depends on your outlook!
Yes, definately the lifestyle and a better life and opportunities for the children. May I ask if your husband has found employment in Canada before you go?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

Yes, definately the lifestyle and a better life and opportunities for the children. May I ask if your husband has found employment in Canada before you go?
No, actually I will be keeping him in the manner to which he has become accustomed to. I am actively looking for a job.