Wikiposts

Age Limit for PNP's?

Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:45 am
Just Joined

sushisally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Age Limit for PNP's?

Hi There,

I just wondered if anyone here knows if there is any PNP's which accept people over 55...

Are the any provinces who would consider a 58 year old civil engineer?

I believe that the BC limit is 55...

thanks in advance...
Old Aug 31st 2007, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age Limit for PNP's?

oh no - not another soon to retire, baby boomer engineer.......they're everywhere.

I haven't heard of an age limit, but then we are in our 20s so weren't looking for one.

If there aren't any age limits, then your other stumbling block could be engineering companies not wanting to give you a job (you need a job offer to apply to BC PNP).

My office (engineering), as per most in BC, is full of either 50/60 year olds, or 20/ early 30 year olds. I'm not sure what we are going to do when the 50/60 year olds all retire on mass in a year or so, as no doubt they will, to play golf together all day. I'm hoping for a big promotion!

When Mr Live to Ski did his rounds of engineering companies for interviews when we first arrived, he was told that they really liked him, but they needed to find an intermediate engineer for him to work under first, before they could employ a junior engineer.

Maybe you could promise to work until you are 80, or to death, depending on which is first (sorry - rather bad taste!)
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:37 am
Just Joined

umm. thanks.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry it didn't answer your questions!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:33 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

POST #1

Sushisally, I have a horribly long message for you, so I'll break it up into a few different posts.

I don’t know about age limits for the PNPs. I suppose to find out about that you would need to comb the website of each PNP. I’ve just looked at the one for Alberta, and didn’t see an age limit on it. But of course there are still several other PNPs to look at besides those of BC and Alberta.

I think live to ski has raised an issue that is at least as relevant as age limits that PNPs may or may not have in place. That is the issue of whether or not you are employable.

I think you still are employable but, to be blunt, I think you’re starting to push the envelope a bit. What I mean is that you’re getting close to the upper end of the employable bracket.

My husband is an engineer. He’s an electrical engineer rather than a civil engineer. His career has been a bit different from that of several other engineers in that his experience has been split between project engineering and energy marketing. At this point he can work equally easily in either field.

My husband is in the same general age group as you are. He used to work for oil companies but, about seven years ago, he decided to go out on his own as a consultant. He has enjoyed that and has never been short of consulting contracts (but he had a well established network in place, from the days when he worked for oil companies).

A few of his former colleagues, who are in the same age group as he’s in, still are working for oil companies. However, at this point their ranks have thinned a lot. Some of them have retired voluntarily. Some of them were laid off over the years, and went into consulting. Some of them have moved into different fields altogether. For example, one engineer and his wife returned to the east coast where they’d come from originally, bought a campground, and are running it as a small business.

At that age, if an engineer is not already entrenched in a long-standing job in an oil company, he/she has virtually no chance of getting his/her foot into an oil company door. Maybe if he/she is an incredibly specialized expert in some niche or other, an oil company might want him/her. But, at that age, it would be more typical for an oil company to hire him/her as a consultant.

More in next post ...........
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:36 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

POST #2

In Calgary the oil companies are at the top of the food chain. They pay the best, they give the best perks, and they are considered to be the most desirable companies to work for.

Below the oil companies are the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) companies to which the oil companies outsource their overload work. Within the EPC companies, there is a hierarchy too. There are EPC companies that pay quite well, not as well as the oil companies, but pretty well nonetheless. And it goes down from there, right down to the little contracting companies that my husband and I jokingly refer to as the “bottom feeders.” The oil companies outsource to the bigger EPC companies. The bigger EPC companies outsource to the middle-sized EPC companies. And, finally, the middle-sized EPC companies outsource to the small “bottom feeders.”

The EPC companies and the smaller contractors keep people on their payroll only as long as they have projects on the go. The minute the work runs out, they lay people off.

From what I’ve seen, a 58-year-old engineer would be able to get a job with an EPC company that is in the middle tier. MAYBE he/she could get a job with a top-tier EPC company if he/she was lucky.

Although the oil companies do hire a few civil engineers, civil engineers are not the mainstay of the oil industry. They hire far more petroleum, chemical, mechanical and electrical engineers.

Governments (provincial and municipal) hire civil engineers. I think those jobs are seen as fairly stable, although they generally do not pay as well as private industry. Certainly they don’t pay as well as the oil companies, and not even as well as the top-tier EPC companies. Their pay is somewhere between that of the middle-tier EPC companies and the bottom feeders. But government benefits are pretty good. Their medical and dental benefits, annual leave entitlement, etc., are fairly decent.

To be continued .........
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:40 am
Now on Vancouver Island

POST #3

If you want to retire in Canada and just need a job so that you can nominally gain entry to the country as a worker, by all means go for it. In that case you don’t need to be fussy. You can accept a job with some rinky dink company, as long as the job satisfies immigration requirements.

If you actually do want a job, I mean a “real” job, I think you are starting to get pretty darn close to the glass ceiling. If you want to give it a try, you still may be able to pull it off.

I’m sorry if I’ve been blunt. I didn’t mean to offend you. But I thought I would do you a greater service if I told you the truth as I saw it.

The factors that I see as working against you are the same factors that my husband would see working against himself at this stage of his life. He wouldn’t dream of emigrating to another country now. His contacts in other countries are not the same as they are in Canada. Heck, his contacts in other cities are not the same as they are in Calgary. As long as he wants to do consulting work, the source of that work will be in Calgary.

I have described to you the hierarchy as I see it in Calgary. The employment scene is different in other parts of Canada. The oil industry is strong in only a small handful of Canadian cities. But I suspect that age limitations are fairly common across Canada. No one will tell you to your face that they aren’t giving you the job because of your age. That’s against the law. But I think that, in reality, people do discriminate against middle aged and older workers.

My husband says that there is going to be a dire shortage of engineers when his age batch retires (a trend that already is under way). That’s why he thinks there will be consulting work for him as long as he wants to take it on. However, I think he’d find it easier to tap into that work than you would find it, only because he’s been here for the better part of thirty years and has the network that I mentioned earlier.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Hi Thanks for taking the time to reply Judy.

The application isn't actually for myself, but a family member (works for uk local government - highways/roads) and is only really an initial enquiry. I'm in the process of a SW application myself but don't want to rely on the family (parent) sponsorship route further down the line, particularly in view of the fact the quota is going to drop back down by 50%.. could take another 10 years to process Yes I suppose it is more with the view of selling up here in the uk, working until 65 and retiring in Canada.

I did look through the other provinces... so far only found that BC rarely admits people over 55...I've found that NS has a top limit of 60... age limits for other PNPS don't seem to be listed.

Of course the employability angle is an obvious problem at their age, but seemed to make sense to check the PNP criteria BEFORE seeing if theres an employer willing to hire.

I guess I'm just looking at ALL the options... interesting what you say about your experiences though... and thanks for your replies.

Last edited by sushisally; Aug 31st 2007 at 10:52 am.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:56 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by sushisally
The application isn't actually for myself, but a family member (works for uk local government - highways/roads) and is only really an initial enquiry.
If the 58-year-old civil engineer is your parent or parent-in-law, and if they want to move to Canada for reasons of family unity, I would suggest that they try to set the process in motion as soon as possible. It'll only get more difficult for them to gain entry to Canada with each passing month.

If you have not already done so, read all the BE Wiki articles about immigration and job hunting.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry again sushisally, but Judy is right in what she says.

If you are going to use PNP to get a back door way into retiring over here, then go for it.

But as with job hunting, egnineering consultancy work is so much about who you know. The president of my company tries to get me out to as many client meetings as possible to network. That said, I am female, bubbley, can hold my own in meetings, relatively attractive, blonde and in a male dominated industry, with an adorable English accent (or so I've been told) stand out. But at the same time, being young and female in engineering means I have to work harder to prove myself than if I was a male Vancouverite with a degree from UBC engineering dept.

I won 2 proposals last week off my own back (and the company name). Only $10,000 each, but it's start. I've been working here 49 weeks, and everyone thinks its a miracle that I won them. I think it is a lot of hard work (10pm most nights the weeks I wrote them) and a natural talent for writing the bulls**t that they love to read in proposals! If you're in your 50s, you're probably meant to win proposals for many times that amount on a monthly basis. Hard to do with no local knowledge, contacts etc.

I've probably got another 5 years before I have to stand on my own 2 feet, or until my baby boomer senior engineers and project managers leave.

Don't let this put you off - just be prepared so you can give reasons why they should employ you, and use it as an opportunity to prepare answers, and justify yourself.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Judy -yep exactly! Thats why I guess I'm trying to research the PNP route...

Its all come about as I want to move and they want to retire abroad. The like Canada too and potentially it would be great to all be in the same place.

Of course if he could get a PNP then he'd be out there before me!

They need to decide what they want as its a huge step... and I don't want to pressure them but I do want to be clued up on the options.

a tough one! its a big decision to make in a hurry but it sort of has to be made sooner rather than later as you say...

The main factors are if they can find a PNP that will accept him in an area they want to live in... BC is out oh, and finding an actual job!

Last edited by sushisally; Aug 31st 2007 at 11:06 am.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Live to ski - the application is not for me, but my mother's partner. I guess he wouldn't be looking at consultancy, perhaps something more similar to his current job. Thanks for replying

Hopefully someone might have an idea if theres any hope in applying to the scheme at his age. Would be depressing to get turned down after finding a job.